A Good Thriller discussion

Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8)
This topic is about Cross Bones
PIFM - Archive > Budd Read for Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments In April we are reading: Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8) by Kathy Reichs / Totgeglaubte leben länger Roman by Kathy Reichs by Kathy Reichs

The key to a modern murder lies in the sands of history.

Examining a badly decomposed corpse is de rigueur for forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. But puzzling damage on the body of a shooting victim, an Orthodox Jewish man, suggests this is no ordinary Montreal murder. When a stranger slips Tempe a photograph of a skeleton unearthed at an archaeological site, Tempe uncovers chilling ties between the dead man and secrets long buried in the dust of Israel. Traveling there with Detective Andrew Ryan, Tempe plunges into an international mystery as old as Jesus, and centered on the controversial discovery of Christ's tomb. Has a mastermind lured her into an elaborate hoax? If not, Tempe may be on the brink of rewriting two thousand years of history -- if she can survive the foes dead set on burying her.

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 539 comments I'm only on book 2, but maybe I will catch up and we can all buddy read the next ones :)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Dana wrote: "I'm only on book 2, but maybe I will catch up and we can all buddy read the next ones :)"

I'm always game, as long as I follow the series :-)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Anyone else joining us for this? Agnieszka when would you like to start?

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Since the book was available in my online library I downloaded it before I left for Easter and can start reading any time now but won't be able to discuss it before Tuesday. How is it with you when would you like to start?
I'll check tomorrow night again. During the day I'm too busy with my family right now :-)
Happy Easter!

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Since the book was available in my online library I downloaded it before I left for Easter and can start reading any time now but won't be able to discuss it before Tuesday. How is it with you when..."

That's great I've just started but only 40 odd pages in so far.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments I'll start most likely tomorrow on my way back home. I'm looking forward to our discussion!

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments So far I read 16 chapters and have to admit I'm struggling pretty much with this book since I don't like conspiracy theories. I love conspiracy thrillers but those that appear very realistic - the way that you think it could really happen that way.
In this book it's just feels forced - I hope the book will get better.

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I am finding this slightly familiar and wonder if I have in fact read this one years ago (as I couldn't remember where in the series I had got to) but like you Agnieszka I am not feeling it due to the same reasons. I am about to start chp 12 (I stopped for a few days) but will carry on and see if I can jog my memory any more lol

I really enjoyed the books before this one.

message 10: by Agnieszka (last edited Apr 07, 2018 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments I enjoyed the previous books (more or less) as well and think for myself you just can't expect every book in a series to be great - that way I enjoye the good ones even more :-)

I'll try to read another two chapters today (until the end of chapter 20) so I'll be roughly at 50% and treat myself to the next In Death book (I'm re-reading the series until the next book will be published in Germany and my library gets it) so no need to hurry on your side - that way I won't feel that bad to read my library books out of order *grins*

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Ok I will finish my current read today and get back to Cross Bones then - looking at reviews a lot of people say this one wasn't their favourite in the series - so it's not just us lol

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Mandy wrote: "Ok I will finish my current read today and get back to Cross Bones then - looking at reviews a lot of people say this one wasn't their favourite in the series - so it's not just us lol"

As I said no hurry, I still have one more week on my library licence and fear I'll finish rather at the very end this time or even try to renew if nobody pre-ordered the book :-) Plus I started today in the morning another (this time one of my less favorite) In Death books and have a wonderful 8-hour-audiobook by my favorite German mystery author (I hope this book will be translated soon as well - it's her very best) and of course my almost-endless list of books I started at one point or another *grins*

After a few bad experiences with spoilers I only look at reviews (especially for suspense genres) after I finished the book. Sometimes I check the average rating and/or the rating distribution list (the last one only for books with at least 100 ratings) to see if there's a general trend or if it appears to be a better or rather a weak book.

I'm glad most people didn't like this book very much and hope the author won't go into this direction again ;-)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Yeah I've not got much further - only one more chapter - so will probably just squeeze a chapter or two in now and again. As you, I have several others on the go :-)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments :-)
Great we are on the same page :-)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1392 comments Help! I'm really no more sure I want finish the book. Since I read 59% It would really be a waste of pages I couldn't use for most of my challenges, but when I imagine another 41 % of this strange stuff I'm not sure I really want deal with it. On the other hand I'm so curious I'm not sure I can deal without knowing how the author solves this disaster and the small hope it will get better.

I finished today chapter 27 [minor spoiler] (view spoiler)

For now I decided to read as much as I can the next four days but I'm not sure I'll renew the licence if I'm not finished then.

Are still pausing this book or did you try to continue this week? In case you continued: How did you like it? If not: that's still fine with me :-) See you soon here again *grins*

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments lol I won't mind if you don't finish Agnieszka, I did continue but realised that I DID read this years ago but had forgotten where in the series I was. I may skim to the end to refresh my memory before the next one, it was not one of my favourites and I have definitely gone off conspiracy theories!