Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Contemporary YA: 57,000 word count. A warning: it deals with sensitive topics and can get dark at times.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Goodness (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments Blurb:

Fourteen year old Alina thought that above all, she could trust Gaten. He’s been her rock since tragedy befell her three long years ago. But one day, she finds a letter; a letter is all it takes for Alina’s world to once again dismantle before her eyes. And suddenly, she’s thrown into doubt about the one individual she believed that she could rely on. In a desperate bid for answers, Alina decides to take matters into her own hands. The life altering consequences are ones that she did not anticipate.

Hello everyone, there are several areas that I need help with when it comes to the story.

1) I would love feedback on which category you believe the novel falls under (thriller, etc.)

2) Were you able to sympathize with the main character? If not, why do you believe that is?

3) Are there places where you felt the story really lagged? Suggestions to improve it.

4) Do you feel there's anything missing from the story? Did it leave you satisfied once you finished reading, or were there unanswered questions?

5) Did it live up to your expectations after reading the blurb? Or is the blurb weak?

6) I would also love feedback on the formatting and structure of my story.

7) For those who are willing to swap, I enjoy reading romance, YA, and fantasy. Historical fictions are okay too. But I have difficulty getting into mysteries, crime, and science fiction.

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Retana | 17 comments HEY, I am totally interesed! I have a 50,000 word YA (non-paranormal non-fantasy) story of romance, betrayal and self discovery. I would totally swap.

Here’s the blurb:
16 yo girl experiments with love and sex, and finds herself mired in a self destructive situation and struggling with depression, the path out of which will take introspection, difficult choices, and a feat of willpower.

message 3: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Retana | 17 comments And i will send a list isn’t specific questions if we swap.

message 4: by Goodness (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments Sasha wrote: "HEY, I am totally interesed! I have a 50,000 word YA (non-paranormal non-fantasy) story of romance, betrayal and self discovery. I would totally swap.

Here’s the blurb:
16 yo girl experiments with..."

Your blurb sounds interesting. How should we exchange stories?

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Retana | 17 comments Sashreta@gmail.com

I have mine compiled in ePub format, and I think i can do kindle too.

message 6: by Goodness (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments My kindle app crashes whenever I attempt to launch it on my laptop (my storage is slim to none), so I will see if I can convert your epub file to a PDF and open it.

Should I also send my file as PDF?
Email: GoodnessReads@gmail.com

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Retana | 17 comments I can send it as PDF or as word as well. I work in scrivener, it compiles to all kinds. :) send it!

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Retana | 17 comments I will send mine along tonight when I get home from work and recheck it for spelling and grammar...