Why Christianity? discussion

Minor topics > Baptizing infants???

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle | 469 comments Mod
This is the first major issue that got me seriously exploring the Bible: huge issue for my wife's family.

I've made up my mind... but I attend a church that disagrees with me. Oh well.

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad (chadjohnson) | 63 comments I was baptized as an infant.... 22 years years later, I was baptized again... the second time it actually meant something.

I think baptizing infants is pointless. Many churches today (at least the ones I have attended in the past 15 years) do dedication ceremonies for children and babies. I see nothing wrong with that....

Anyone think baptizing infants is a good thing? Please tell me why...

message 3: by Rod (new)

I read through the entire Bible trying to justify baptizing infants. There's nothing there.

Some insist it's the continuation of the circumcision promise... ummmh? I'm not convinced.

My current Reformed Trinity church baptizes infants. My pastor even admitted it's not in the Bible. Just glorious tradition.

message 4: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Great topic. I don't know that it is pointless, but I do agree that the child, upon reaching the age of accountability, has to decide for themselves that they will follow the Lord. My children (both girls) were not baptized, but they were christened to demonstrate our desire to raise them under God's care and place them under His protection. This, I think, is consistent with and a replacement of the circumcision found in Genesis 17:10-14.

message 5: by Rod (new)

Good point.
Is christening in the bible?

message 6: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Good point.
Is christening in the bible?"

No, it's not. However, just as the male infants were circumcised on the 8th day, so are many children christened to show an intent to raise a child in the fear and recognition of the Lord.

message 7: by Rod (new)

I love the idea of Christening and dedication.

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Rod wrote: "I read through the entire Bible trying to justify baptizing infants. There's nothing there.

Some insist it's the continuation of the circumcision promise... ummmh? I'm not convinced. "

Yeah, that's what I understand Lutherans say, that it's a covenant act that replaces, or is a picture of, the covenant of circumcision.

message 9: by Rod (new)

You would think if it was a big deal (babies go to hell if they aren't???) then God would have given us more info on that - and less on how to build a floating wooden zoo that might keep dinosaurs out of the rain.

Same goes for the etiquette of adult Baptism. We ruin all the simple things.

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Rod wrote: "You would think if it was a big deal (babies go to hell if they aren't???)"

I know that's not what Lutherans believe, or at least the branch of it I'd heard it explained from.

I do think Catholics might believe that.

message 11: by Rod (new)

I don't think they teach that. But there's lots of superstitions around infant baptism. My inlaws thought that.

message 12: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Rod wrote: "I don't think they teach that. But there's lots of superstitions around infant baptism. My inlaws thought that."

Yeah, I do know there are individuals who do think that.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (frulie) | 21 comments I'm pretty sure we adopted teenagers to avoid the topic of infant baptism with my parents.

message 14: by Rod (new)

Subliminally? Yes. :c)

message 15: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 42 comments I’m Presbyterian, we hold to infant baptism. If you want better explanation, check out the Westminster confession. Here is just a quick summary. Just to note, I’m not trying to persuade anyone toward ib, merely giving an explanation it.

First, the key NT passage is in acts, where the jailer is baptized along with his whole household, this would include children.

Second, a theme of scripture is the concept of covenant. In all covenants you see in scripture that those who are included in it are the descendants regardless of their personal standing with God. So baptism is a sign of babies being in the new covenant that are raised as members of the new covenant though they have not confessed their faith. I honk this where a it of confusion occurs. But it’s a start.
Happy to add more.

message 16: by Rod (new)

Yeah, the covenant is a nice idea.

Although, it is amusing that we get more info on how to build a wooden Ark than we do the depths of infant baptism.

message 17: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 42 comments Yes, there is more about how to build an ark, but also a lot of other issues that are vital which receive little treatment compared to the ark, think trinity.

message 18: by Rod (new)

Well said. Indeed: God has a sense of humor and purpose. And he's sneaky on some issues.

message 19: by Rod (new)

Jesus divinity is also another somewhat hidden issue.

No children will go to hell for a lack of baptism. Far as I know.

message 20: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 42 comments Agreed.