Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Random Chatter > Books that should have been nominated and weren't

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Mar 12, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Kateblue | 3780 comments Mod
I could have sworn someone posted something about books they love that weren't nominated. I can't find that post. So I am starting my own. Please tell what F and SF books you loved that aren't nominated. Or even if they are not F and SF, please list them if you have read them over and over.

Here's my list, though I will probably think of more later.

1) This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (really, most of his books have concepts that could be fantasy or SF—Rosemary’s Baby, The Stepford Wives, The Boys from Brazil—but This Perfect Day is true SF.)

2) King and Joker by Peter Dickinson--a great mystery set in an alternate timeline without any magic or SF, but alternate histories have qualified as SF before. I love this book because the characters are SO great and the situations are absolutely unique.

3) The Blue Hawk, also by Peter Dickinson, which would probably be considered a YA fantasy these days.

4) Highways in Hiding by George O. Smith, which you can get free for Kindle HERE because I just did, haven’t read it in years and we will see how it holds up
https://www.amazon.com/Highways-Hidin...

5) Sign of the Labrys by Margaret St. Clair dystopic fantasy, and it does hold up because I just reread it.

6) I want to say The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. But I am not sure how well the three books will read 40+ years after initial publication. Plus, I only ever read them once because you do have to work at them a bit. I had two sets of the three books but I loaned them out and they never came back.

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Mar 14, 2018 03:26PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Uhm, how about Tolkien? I believe it to be heresy for it never to have been included to the list, apart from being voted for in a discontinued Hugo category of the "Best of All Time"(or something along those lines). There is literally nothing else I could say that wasn't already said before regarding his work and its significance.

There are many sci-fi writers who are prominent in the Hugo & Nebula for a Short Story, but never won the Best Novel award. I could also do with more of Robert Sheckley's work, he had some original ideas that have been adopted by other writers.

Harry Harrison's "The Hammer and The Cross" trilogy is simply amazing, but I suppose it was neither sci-fi-y nor fantasy-ish enough to ever make the list. For decades it was also incredibly difficult to find in some of the countries I lived in, somehow few publishing houses took on reprinting it.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Yes, Tolkien! I will look for the other

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Just remembered another book I was surprised not seeing on either of the lists: Carl Sagan's Contact

message 5: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Apr 30, 2018 09:26PM) (new)

I don't think they ever (used to, anyway) nominate anyone who is too "mainstream" in the sense that they wrote bestsellers, etc. Witness Michael Creighton and Ira Levin, two authors never nominated. I would put Carl Sagan in that category.

message 6: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
I guess I can see that. But, I would like to call forth my own witnesses: George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, and Jim Butcher. *gasp* I rest my case.

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Bryan wrote: "I guess I can see that. But, I would like to call forth my own witnesses: George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, and Jim Butcher. *gasp* I rest my case."

Good luck getting fiction/fantasy writer to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

message 8: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

OK, maybe it's better now. But it's the only rationale I can think of. Unless, as I have said before, maybe it is just a popularity contest.

Not really important, tho' interesting

message 9: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
lol. I'm going to research it a bit and if I find anything interesting, I'll post it somewhere on our group chat.

message 10: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (last edited May 12, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3717 comments Mod
There are authors that have been never nominated and there are books of nominated authors, which (books) ought to be nominated. In the latter category I'd list books of Peter F. Hamilton, Andre Norton, Clifford D. Simak

message 11: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Do you mean Andre Norton? There is an Andrew Norton, but Andre Norton is the famous famous won who was never nominated for anything.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 12: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kateblue wrote: "Do you mean Andre Norton? "

Yes, edited, thanks! That's the problem with knowing many books in translation, you cannot be sure what is the original name's spelling

message 13: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Ah, yes, I saw that you were in the Ukraine

message 14: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

You will note that I wrote

"famous famous won"
when I meant
"famous famous one"

so, hey, I only have one language and do not do that well!

message 15: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kateblue wrote: "Ah, yes, I saw that you were in the Ukraine"

Please, use Ukraine and not the Ukraine. The latter version was correct when the country was a part of the Russian empire and then the USSR :)

message 16: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Oops! Glad to learn something new! Will pass this info on to people.

message 17: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "There are authors that have been never nominated and there are books of nominated authors, which (books) ought to be nominated. In the latter category I'd list books of [author:Peter F. Hamilton|25..."

Oleksandr, I'm ashamed to say, I've only read one book from the list of authors you provided, and that was The Way Station by Clifford D. Simak. What are some you think should have made the list?

message 18: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Bryan wrote: "What are some you think should have made the list? "

Simak had a lot of good books, I liked for example City
Andre Norton had both nice (maybe a bit outdated now) space opera and fantasy. As a teen I highly enjoyed Sargasso of Space as easy-going adventure-filled SF
Hamilton has several big sagas, as well as stand-alone books. As for the taste of him I'd suggest Great North Road

message 19: by Jeff (new)

Jeff F I would like to nominate one of my favorite authors, A.A. Attanasio, who by the way is a Goodreads author. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
His 4-volume Radix Tetrad is some powerful stuff, and the last of the series, The Last Legends of Earth is one of my favorite novels of all time.

message 20: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I have seen the name around. I will put it on my list