ManBookering discussion

The Stolen Bicycle
This topic is about The Stolen Bicycle
2018 International Longlist > The Stolen Bicycle by Wu Ming-Yi

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxwell (last edited Mar 12, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 375 comments Mod
This is a discussion thread for The Stolen Bicycle by Wu Ming-Yi.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) This one is absolutely sublime

my review

But don't make the mistake I did and read the Kindle version - the physical book is a work of art in itself

message 3: by Wen (new)

Wen (wensz) Planned to read Chinese version and then compare. It has no digital formats and the print is sold out. Will wait a bit.

message 4: by Neil (last edited Mar 22, 2018 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Neil | 511 comments I think it is me rather than the book, but I am not getting this one. I am hoping it might all come together in the final quarter. I read his other book available in English and had the same problem, although I didn’t realise until about halfway through this one that it was the same author!

message 5: by Jia (last edited Mar 23, 2018 12:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jia Chan This book is my 2nd MBI read, the first one was The White Book, which was before the nomination.

I managed to borrow and read the original Chinese version of this novel from the local library. Just finished the novel yesterday and what a discovery! I will definitely read the English version once it is available.

It is the multi-layered, non-linear narrative story that keeps it fresh and deserve multiple re-read later on. Each branch of the story unfolds and draws the reader into part of Taiwan history, bicycle history, Japanese invasion of SE Asia in WW2 (I live in Singapore so I am surprised that the invasion of Malaya/Singapore in WW2 was written so vividly in the book) , butterflies trade/art craft, emotional scars of human being and animals/plants (yes!) during/after the war and personal memories of family ties.

While reading this story, I have watched a TEDx presentation by the author and get to know that he aspired to be a visual artist and photographer before settling down to be a literature professor/writer. He is also a real life environmental activist and butterfly lover. So unsurprising that he also drew all the beautiful sketches, references of photography and the difficult relationship of man and nature throughout the book. Wu Ming-Yi is sure an amazing talented guy!

Overall, I think The Stolen Bicycle should be a strong contender for MBI this year and the jury did a good job of longlisting this book.