ManBookering discussion

Frankenstein in Baghdad
This topic is about Frankenstein in Baghdad
116 views
2018 International Longlist > Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 375 comments Mod
This is a discussion thread for Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi.


Robert | 363 comments This is an excellent book and I am confident enough to say that I wouldn't be surprised if this wins.

Here's my review. There are spoilers:

https://deucekindred.wordpress.com/20...


Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) I am also confident enough to say I wouldn't be surprised if it wins - except that I've read 5 so far and they are all of high quality! Going to be a tough year to call I think.


Meike (meikereads) I also loved this book and I stand by my prediction that I made back in February that this could be the possible winner! In this story, Saadawi asks how you can put a human life or a whole society torn apart by war back together. Like one of the many (and I mean: many) detonations we are witnessing in this text, the story, the timeline and the point of view simply explode right in our faces, again and again, and just like the characters, we are forced to piece everything together - this book is fascinating, riveting and mind-blowing. Read it!! Here's my review.


Nadine (nadinekc) | 7 comments Meike wrote: the story, the timeline and the point of view simply explode right in our faces, again and again, and just like the characters, we are forced to piece everything together - this book is fascinating, riveting and mind-blowing. Read it!!."

I've wanted to read this, in part because it reminds me of Escape from Baghdad!, which I loved, but your comments suddenly made it seem urgent! I'm first on the hold list at my library!


message 6: by Breanne (new) - added it

Breanne (breannerae) | 15 comments I am the most excited for this one!


message 7: by Bartleby (new) - added it

Bartleby (bartlebyscrivener) Meike wrote: "I also loved this book and I stand by my prediction that I made back in February that this could be the possible winner! In this story, Saadawi asks how you can put a human life or a whole society ..."

this sounds fascinating! Thanks ;)


Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) Interesting link to The Dinner Guest which is part set during the time of the ETA campaign in the Basque region, when car bombings and kidnappings became almost a daily backdrop to life rather as do the suicide bombings here.

Frankenstein in Bahghdad is much the stronger of the two, however: My review


Meike (meikereads) Paul wrote: "Interesting link to The Dinner Guest which is part set during the time of the ETA campaign in the Basque region, when car bombings and kidnappings became almost a daily backdrop to life rather as d..."

Paul, have you already read "The Dinner Guest"? It sounds really interesting, too.


message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) I have read The Dinner Guest last night - I really thought it was poor compared to the other 5 I have read so far. Review to follow shortly.


Meike (meikereads) Paul wrote: "I have read The Dinner Guest last night - I really thought it was poor compared to the other 5 I have read so far. Review to follow shortly."

Oh no, it sounded sooo good...:-(


message 12: by Paul (last edited Mar 13, 2018 02:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) Well it is more not to my taste than not good. I just don't like these sort of personal memoir, only semi-fictional books about people's families. I am sure it was wonderfully cathartic to write but I am afraid I knew neither her mother or grandfather and so it wasn't that interesting: I had a similar reaction to War & Turpentine from a couple of years ago. Anyway review to follow and I will discuss on that thread.

The Stolen Bicycle on the other hand - the 2nd of the 3 (of the 13) I wasn't already familiar with - is wonderful 20% or so in.


message 13: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen (wensz) Meike wrote: "I also loved this book and I stand by my prediction that I made back in February that this could be the possible winner! In this story, Saadawi asks how you can put a human life or a whole society ..."

Nice teaser Meike. :) Because I can get neither The Stolen Bicycle nor The White Book here yet I'll go with this one next. Looks like these 3 have got most thumbsups here. The Seventh Function felt so detached, hope I can feel a bit in this one.


Paula | 131 comments I finished this one the other night and I liked it. Some of those things made me laugh. The whole book told a parable and borrowed from "Frankenstein" in several ways.


Meike (meikereads) Wen wrote: "Nice teaser Meike. :) Because I can get neither The Stolen Bicycle nor The White Book here yet I'll go with this one next. Looks like these 3 have got most thumbsups here. The Seventh Function felt so detached, hope I can feel a bit in this one. "

I hope you'll enjoy it, Wen! I thought it was great. I guess that opinions about The Stolen Bicycle vary, but I probably won't read Bicycle and The White Book, so we'll never know what side I would be on! :-)


Paula | 131 comments Here's a link to my review, for what it's worth.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 17: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen (wensz) I finished this yesterday. It was sooo impressive, so were the reviews you guys put out. I hope this one at least makes the short list. But would be a shame if none of the remaining 12 is as strong though.


message 18: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) Well it is now 6th/12 on my list and only 8th/13 on the M&G forum rankings, so hopefully there should be something else you like at least as much.


message 19: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen (wensz) I added 4 based on consensus from the two groups and you guys’ reviews. Hope at least one or two will top this one :).


Michelle (topaz6) Just finished it and though I liked it, I wasn't blown away. This is my third, and ranks in at my second-favourite of the three I've read.


back to top