Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Challenge for March ~ April 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3367 comments Mod
Sorry to be a bit late. If people have trouble finishing the challenge in March let me know and I'll extend it.

Gangs

Not mafia, but gangs like, Hell's Angels, The Bloods, Crips.

I thought of this as I was looking through my books and saw a small book I bought some time ago about motorcycle gangs in I think, Canada. I also have a book about a gang in the Appalachian Mountains.

Happy reading!

message 3: by Fishface (last edited Mar 12, 2018 03:49PM) (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments So a regular conspiracy wouldn't count but an actual organized-crime type of deal would?

message 4: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Yes, for the challenge, gang related.

message 5: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments This has been a busy week, so I'm not going to get this done in March, but I started Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets.

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments On the last day of March I stumbled across something for this challenge: The Bling Ring: How a Gang of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood and Shocked the World. I daresay I will not finish by midnight...

message 7: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "On the last day of March I stumbled across something for this challenge: The Bling Ring: How a Gang of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood and Shocked the World. I daresay I wi..."

I've been wanting to read this one. Tell me how you like it.

message 8: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I will extend this since I haven't even started mine.

message 9: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 555 comments Did their exploits really shock the world? If so, I missed this event.
This doesn't sound like a book I want to read. Entitled rich white teens acting badly? Meh. Give me a rabid psychopath instead.

message 10: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments Hari wrote: "Did their exploits really shock the world? If so, I missed this event.
This doesn't sound like a book I want to read. Entitled rich white teens acting badly? Meh. Give me a rabid psychopath instead."

Well, the whole question here is whether or not they ARE rabid psychopaths. I never heard about this deal until the book and movie came out, but apparently if you were on the right websites you were tracing their every move on security cams as they broke in -- many times -- to Paris Hilton's place, Orlando Bloom's, Lindsay Lohan's, and on and on. The Internet apparently knew about the Paris Hilton break-ins before Paris did herself. People are so fixated on every move of a B-list celebrity like her that the thieves were using exactly the same websites that were tracking them to track their targeted victims -- finding out when Lindsay or Orlando would be out of town and so forth. I mean the whole thing was totally ridiculous.

message 11: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 555 comments Still, Fishface,
There's a qualitative difference between stealing from the glitterati and the things John Wayne Gacy is known for.

message 12: by Fishface (last edited Apr 03, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments Hari wrote: "Still, Fishface,
There's a qualitative difference between stealing from the glitterati and the things John Wayne Gacy is known for."

No argument there! But Gacy wasn't merely a sociopath. A lot of people who aren't sociopathic at all are so paraphilic that they do similar things -- maybe over and over -- and then feel terrible and turn themselves in to the police and refuse to defend themselves in court and so forth. Gacy had an Axis II, Cluster B personality disorder (that group includes Borderline PD, which he definitely had, and Antisocial PD, which he also definitely had). But he also had a paraphilia the size of Texas. Without it, he could be as borderline and sociopathic as he wanted and all those guys would still be alive today.

These kids in the Bling Ring have a rather different fixation.

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments The Bling Ring: How a Gang of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood and Shocked the World, Nancy Jo Sales

3 stars

This was a fun, lite true-crime read for the monthly challenge (on the subject of organized crime). The writing was very good and the story moved right along, snagging occasionally on the rocks of the character's inarticulate blathering. Even the attorneys didn't make a lot of sense when they talked and I would have to go back and re-read to puzzle it out. With that said, I enjoyed this one and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a true-crime case without a lot of gore and massacree. In fact, this was marked "YA" at the library, so dive right in and fear not.

message 14: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Gang Leader for a Day A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets by Sudhir Venkatesh Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets by Sudhir Venkatesh
3 stars

The author was a college student writing a term paper about gangs and decided to immerse himself in the culture to get a better understanding of what gang living was about. He had not grown up in poverty so most things were a surprise to him. I thought it was amazing he didnt get killed, as some people thought he was an undercover cop. The book doesn't really get into the personal lives of the gang members, but deals more with what happens in a gang and why the culture perpetuates. It was amazing to me that ambulances ,and often times the police, wont enter the ghettos. It was disheartening to read that not much is being done to make life better for the people that live there.

Growing up a farm girl in a rural area this book is as far away from the life I have lead as a person can get. I cant fathom how people can live this way and am grateful for that fact.

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments Koren wrote: "Growing up a farm girl in a rural area this book is as far away from the life I have lead as a person can get. I cant fathom how people can live this way and am grateful for that fact. "

They probably would feel just as weird living on a farm in the country as you would in 'the hood'!!

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "Koren wrote: "Growing up a farm girl in a rural area this book is as far away from the life I have lead as a person can get. I cant fathom how people can live this way and am grateful for that fact..."

Ha! You are funny!

message 17: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments AAAAAH! GOAT! RUUUNNNNNNNNNN!

message 18: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "AAAAAH! GOAT! RUUUNNNNNNNNNN!"

We never had goats. Maybe a chicken.

message 19: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels by Jay Dobyns
2 stars

My second book for the challenge was quite a bit different from the first. In the first the gang members were fairly friendly. They were tough but not nearly as tough as the characters in the second book. The first book the person infiltrating was a college student. In the second it was an undercover cop. The first dealt with inner city gang members. The second book dealt with the Hell's Angels. One thing that I was puzzled about: I had always heard that the Hell's Angels were not a violent group but in this book they were more like the mob.

Here's the rest of my review:

An undercover cop infiltrates the Hell's Angels for two years. I would have liked this book better if he would have delved more into the backgrounds of the Angels and how they came about joining the group. Instead, it was mostly conversations peppered with a lot of cuss words (even though at the end he states that a lot of cuss words were left out). I touched on how his undercover work effected his marriage and family and I would have liked him to go into that a little deeper. This was a tough group of characters and made me feel he was talking about mobsters instead of bikers.

message 20: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12128 comments As far as I am aware, Koren, motorcycle gangs are pretty much like the Mob on two wheelers. They're into everything from drug trafficking to protection rackets.

message 21: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "As far as I am aware, Koren, motorcycle gangs are pretty much like the Mob on two wheelers. They're into everything from drug trafficking to protection rackets."

It would be interesting to see if there are any books where gang members are good guys.

message 22: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "AAAAAH! GOAT! RUUUNNNNNNNNNN!"

We never had goats. Maybe a chicken."

"AAAAAH! CHICKEN!! RUUUNNNNNNNNNN!"

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.