Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Theological Questions > "When Did God Remove The Wickedness From Sin?"

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1571 comments This takes an interesting look at a modern day "word-changing" trend. Does this trend expose something?

Is "SIN" and being a "SINNER" more acceptable and/or better than being "VILE" a "WRETCH" or a "WORM" ?

Click below for a FREE PDF study (one page, double-sided, tri-fold):
http://www.Christ-like.net/sitebuilde...

Our ministry site offers many FREE resources, visit us at:
www.Christ-like.net

message 2: by Harold (new)

Harold Lawrence | 6 comments I view sin and sinner as being less than perfect, so I'll take that description over the others.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1571 comments Harold wrote: "I view sin and sinner as being less than perfect, so I'll take that description over the others."

Curious, are you better off as a sinner than a vile wretch?

I don't understand the need to change the words of the hymns. It appears to be an effort to soften the message.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Robert - as you've pointed out before, "sin" is specifically Biblically defined. Vile, wretch and a "worm" are much broader terms and may just refer to an unlikeable personality which, though unfortunate for the bearer, isn't necessarily sinful!

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1571 comments Robert wrote: "Robert - as you've pointed out before, "sin" is specifically Biblically defined. Vile, wretch and a "worm" are much broader terms and may just refer to an unlikeable personality which, though unfor..."

My response: Agreed. So why do Christians change the words? If "sin" is worse?

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Robert - because sin is intertwined with hell in many people's narrow religious conscientiousness. If they change the name of their predilections which offend God, they think maybe they won't qualify for heaven, but can avoid hell by sneaking out the back door!

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1571 comments Original:

Alas and did my Savior bleed,
and did my Sovereign die.
Would He devote that sacred head,
for such a worm as I?

Modern:

Alas and did my Savior bleed,
and did my Sovereign die.
Would He devote that sacred head,
for a sinner such as I?

It looks to me like contemporary re-writes are softening "sin".

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Drumheller | 37 comments When I think of my saviors love for me, I remember Ephesians 1:18, where the wording in the KJV expresses how much it means to God to forgive me of my sin, that I may be able to stand with Him in glory one day: "The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,"