Reading Glasses - Fan Group discussion

Podcast Discussions > Episode 39 - Break Up with Bad Books and Lore’s Aaron Mahnke

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 48 comments Mod
Brea and Mallory help you break up with bad books and interview writer and podcaster Aaron Mahnke. Use the hashtag #ReadingGlasses to participate in online discussion! Email us at readingglassespodcast at gmail dot com!

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 17 comments So, following on from this episode, are there any books that people will admit to actually binning?

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Snow | 2 comments Most recently, I gave up on Arundhati Roy's, The Ministry of Utmost Happiness. Just not engaging. It was our book club pick and 3/4 of us put it down. First ever!

message 4: by Roland (new)

Roland Le Fort | 9 comments I just couldn't finish But What If We're Wrong? Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past. I have loved and enjoyed most of his other work, this one just felt like a hipster coffee shop conversation that I couldn't be party to any longer.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 17 comments I think the first time I ever gave up on a book was Interview with the Vampire. I'd always made a point of sticking it through to the end, but I got less than 100 pages in before thinking "life is too short for this!"

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments I've given up on "Tale of Two Cities" twice. Typically I put down a book when I find myself skimming for a part that catches my interest. My mom taught me the 100 page rule, which has served me well. There have been a few books (Anathem by Neal Stephenson being one of them) that starts off so slow, but then picks up later.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Clifton | 1 comments Jumping into an old thread, but...I've given up on Moby Dick multiple times. It feels like a book I "should" read someday, but I just can't stand it. I know people who actually love the book, so it seems like besides a piece of "respected literature" there might be something good there. I just haven't been able to find it for myself.