New Canadian Library and other Canadian Lit Challenge discussion

2018 Reading Challenge > April: Rudy Wiebe

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 237 comments Mod
The Temptations of Big Bear was originally nominated for April but if you have difficulties getting this book, then any book by this author would be acceptable. Please post below if you are reading a Rudy Wiebe book this month, what it is and if you have read any others by this author previously.

message 2: by Tracey (new)

I will be reading the nominated book but I have read Peace Shall Destroy Many and enjoyed that.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I have the Temptation of Big Bear in my collection and will give it a try!

message 4: by Tracey (new)

MIne is ready for pick up at the library so I will be reading this as my April read also.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I have finished The Temptations of Big Bear, and I’m curious what others thought. I found that Rudy Wiebe uses a great deal of run-on sentences. This writing style made it difficult for me to stay focused for long and fully absorb the story. I did learn a great deal about the conditions that existed while treaties were being signed by First Nation leaders. I wasn’t previously aware that the near extinction of the buffalo and the threat of starvation gave the colonialists an unfair advantage to exploit while convincing the leaders to sign.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

I agree with finding Wiebe's writing style in this book heavy work. I did not find this with the others of his works I have read. Like you I learnt a lot about the conditions of the treaties. The whole thing was quite shameful.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I am reading The Blue Mountains of China, which is a novel about the Mennonite diaspora in Canada and Paraguay. There are multiple narrators and I am finding this one heavy going too, but it is interesting.