Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Procedure when upcoming release is cancelled?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annob (last edited Mar 10, 2018 10:48PM) (new)

annob | 1561 comments What is the procedure / best practice on how to handle edition and work data for a book not yet released, but already reviewed by bloggers, and then being cancelled by the publisher before the expected release date?

I'm specifically thinking of how to handle the date fields (both edition and original). As far as edition field goes, I can only assume Advance Reader Copies have been sent out, but I do not know for a fact. What would be the best way to indicate the edition never made it to publication? Also, how do I document the annoucement from the publisher in the book data? A link in the LibrLog? Or in a LibrNote? Or not at all?

To summarize:
- Edition with ASIN / ISBN (+blurb, cover art) and expected release date exists on GR
- Reviews are linked to the work (pre-release ones)
- Publisher announce release has been cancelled prior to expected release date

Any advice from more experienced GR Librarians is much appreciated.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23825 comments Any time an expected release is cancelled it is forwarded to support. I assume there would be legal issues involved.

message 3: by annob (last edited Mar 10, 2018 11:00PM) (new)

annob | 1561 comments Thanks for quick answer! In general, do you know if such books normally are removed from the databases or not?

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23825 comments No idea. Each would be looked at individually.

message 5: by annob (new)

annob | 1561 comments Ok, thanks!

message 6: by annob (last edited Mar 21, 2018 02:22AM) (new)

annob | 1561 comments I received an answer by email from GR staff and want to share it here with anyone who comes across this question in the future.

Regarding the question if an unpublished book which was cancelled prior to its scheduled release date should be deleted:
We have a strict policy against deleting books from the database.
Best practice on how to indicate such an edition or book never was published:
Firstly, when a book isn't going to be published anymore, the publication date should be blanked out. Secondly, we encourage our Librarians to add a note in the "change comment" field of the "Edit Book" page to let other librarians know why the edits were made.
The second answer implies any cover art, asin or isbn data, blurb text, publisher's name etc. should not be deleted/removed in light of the cancellation event. Only date fields values should be removed from the book record.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments annob wrote: "I received an answer by email from GR staff and want to share it here with anyone who comes across this question in the future.

Regarding the question if an unpublished book which was cancelled pr..."

I'm only seeing this now, but what??? That goes against their own policy. Staff will delete books that have never been and will never be published, if the author contacts them.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Andrew wrote: "In OP's scenario, ARCs have been distributed"

OK, then I hope the staff email only pertains to cancelled books where ARCs have gone out, because that is not clear to me. The "We have a strict policy against deleting books from the database" bit sounds as if all records of never-to-be-published books should remain.

message 9: by annob (last edited Dec 08, 2019 04:53AM) (new)

annob | 1561 comments lethe wrote: "Staff will delete books that have never been and will never be published, if the author contacts them."

Hi lethe, sorry if I had left that part out of my query. I was wondering about best practice about cancellations where the author/publisher haven't requested deletion by staff - otherwise the book record wouldn't still exist.

I've seen members being confused about a publication date listed on Goodreads where I've known that edition had been cancelled prior to its expected release date, asking "where can I buy this book!?!?!?!?!?!", hence my reason for wanting to know what would be the correct procedure from a Librarian perspective.

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Thanks, annob.

I think if the author has announced through other channels that the book will never be published, GR should delete it as well. There is enough clutter as it is :)

If a books appears without a publication date on GR it does not automatically mean that it was never published. We all know that some users are really careless when adding books to the database, leaving out basic information :)

Just adding a change comment and not a note to the description is not helpful at all to the general user, IMO.

message 11: by annob (last edited Dec 09, 2019 02:04AM) (new)

annob | 1561 comments lethe wrote: "I think if the author has announced through other channels that the book will never be published, GR should delete it as well. There is enough clutter as it is :)"

I agree with you. :)

lethe wrote: "If a books appears without a publication date on GR it does not automatically mean that it was never published ..."

You have a valid point, and if wishes could come true I'd like to see a tickbox on the book edit page or some other technical solution to complement the current 'only authors can request deletion' policy for never-published editions.

lethe wrote: "Just adding a change comment and not a note to the description is not helpful at all to the general user, IMO. "

Fully agree with you. In sharing my email from staff in this group I chose their wording, but personally I always add a Librarian Note in this particular situation as it has much higher visibility than a changelog comment.