David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

General > Opinions on a book-based "lootcrate" idea

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (kenderhearted) | 1 comments Hello! Has anyone out there heard of LootCrate? Basically, once a month a goody box shows up at your house with "nerdy" memorabilia - Tee-shirts, stickers, action figures, etc. It costs roughly $20/month including shipping and promise $40 worth of swag and treasures. I am wondering how popular a book/reading themed goody box would be. If there was one dedicated to Young Adult Fiction and each month there was a theme (say, strong female leads, dystopia, etc.), would you be interested in it? Other items in the box would include bookmarks, book lights, jewelry related to popular books, brand new books and used books, ebook downloads, and more.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "Sucky" and 10 being "DO IT NOW," what do you rate this idea? What would you call it?

chucklesthescot Nice idea in theory but for people like me on a tight budget, it is too expensive and there is no guarantee you'd like anything inside it. Bookcrossing members do a themed bookbox that is sent to you. You take out what you want and put the same number of books back in then post it to the next person on the list. But sometimes when you get the box, the books are ones you have read and don't want to read and it costs a small fortune to post it on to the next person. I just can't afford to do these kinds of things now.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (wondermajica) I have actually been trying to find something like this. However...it would come down to price for me. I'm very cheap and I would need some kind of reassurance that my money would not be wasted on a bunch of stuff I am not interested in. I'm not sure if lootcrate does this, but graze has a system where you can rate the snacks they send you. So if you hate something, you can keep it from being sent again, or if you love something you can have it sent more often. I think something like this would be a must.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 52 comments I just looked up Lootcrate, and I would be interested in something like that for books. I belong to a Facebook group of Dystopian authors & fans, and they have giveaways and give keychains, necklaces, bookmarks, magnets, books, etc. All themed to the club or to a specific book. I would LOVE that, and something in the $15 range would be about right for me.

Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)  (mariannelee) I don't know if you knew about this already, but there's this relatively new thing called Uppercase Box where you pay I think $29 a month and you receive a YA book + a bookish item in the mail. The cool thing about it is that the book is chosen by someone who knows about books.

I'm considering trying it for at least 3 months to see if it caters to my taste.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) 7-8

message 7: by Wes (new)

Wes Hysell | 1 comments Looks like something new might be happening that you might be interested in:

http://fb.com/CoffeeShopBox

message 8: by Kaylani (new)

Kaylani (cityeclectics) | 297 comments I really like the idea, but I'd want it to be in the same price range as some of the other subscriptions, re: ipsy, etc.

$20 is generally too much for me for one thing. I like lootcrate, and wish I could get it. But if there was something bookish in the $10-15 dollar range I'd be really interested.

message 9: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 947 comments ^I'm the same. I could probably afford one thing like Lootcrate, but It would throw my 2 weeks between paychecks off a lot haha.
Sadly, with books typically being pretty expensive, I doubt they'd be able to do it for under $20 :/

message 10: by Kaylani (new)

Kaylani (cityeclectics) | 297 comments most of the boxes pride themselves in having over double the value. And a lot of paperbacks at B&N run 8-12 dollars. So 1-2 books and some book swag per month should be doable, especially if a few large publishers took turns. Large publishers want their books reaching people who might not normally pick up a book. So getting it into the hands of a bunch of people who will read it is always a good move.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I've considered finding a bookish friend to exchange books with once a month. I love the idea of a bookish surprise, but being in Europe it would cost $40+ due to shipping. I'm not willing to pay that much + there's potential VAT. So I've been thinking about exchanging a book through bookdepository once a month instead - that way it'd still be a surprise which book I got :)