Audiobooks discussion

Archives > How fast is the Audible App 2x and 3x speeds?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Gonzalez | 4 comments Just curious, on the Audible Android app, how fast exactly are the 2x and 3x speeds?

I've heard that 2x isn't double the normal speed.

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Andy wrote: "Just curious, on the Audible Android app, how fast exactly are the 2x and 3x speeds?

I've heard that 2x isn't double the normal speed."

I'd say 3x is actually about 2x.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Jewell | 8 comments I've never understood the reasons for those speeds. I miss the old ff buttons

message 4: by Tjo (last edited Jul 23, 2014 07:23PM) (new)

Tjo | 56 comments I listen to most of my books at 2x and find that my listen time is roughly half what is listed, so I'd say 2x is pretty close to doubled if not exactly.

2.5x, 3x, etc., are the same as 2x as far as I can tell. I really wish this would be fixed. A 1.75x would be nice too.

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise Jewell | 8 comments I think I tried listening to it faster once but it sounded too fast for me.

message 6: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments I can't speak for anything but a 7th gen Ipod Nano, but in case anyone is wondering about it, its "2x" is really about 1.2 times normal. So 5 minutes takes 4 minutes.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve | 8 comments For some reason, the actual speed is always slower than "advertised" speed. seems pretty consistent on iphone 5 and nexus5 and note2
1.5x is about 1.2x
2x is about 1.4x
3x is about 2x

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise Jewell | 8 comments I listen on an iPod touch that I got 4 years ago and I just listen at the regular speed because faster sounds too fast

message 9: by Tjo (new)

Tjo | 56 comments Steve wrote: "For some reason, the actual speed is always slower than "advertised" speed. seems pretty consistent on iphone 5 and nexus5 and note2
1.5x is about 1.2x
2x is about 1.4x
3x is about 2x"

For what it is worth, this has not been my experience. I tested Audible app speeds on my iPhone 4s this evening and consistently found the following:
1.25x = 1.25x (10 minutes real time = 12.5 minutes book time)
1.5x = 1.5x (10 minutes real time = 15 minutes book time)
2.0x = 2.0x (10 minutes real time = 20 minutes book time)
2.5x = 2.0x (10 minutes real time = 20 minutes book time)
3.0x = 2.0x (10 minutes real time = 20 minutes book time)

None of my 10-minute trials were more than 1-2 seconds off, and that was likely due more to my slow stopwatch reaction times than anything else.

i'm not sure why it would be slower on your multiple devices, Steve. Do you have the latest version of the app installed?

message 10: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Smith (seriouslybrilliant) | 1 comments I would pay real money if someone could fix that, I personally enjoy it more when I listen at a faster speed I because I get immersed into what is read and don't have time to think "Hmm, wonder what I should cook tonight?" and other distracting thoughts.

message 11: by Nospin (new)

Nospin | 232 comments Bryan wrote: "I would pay real money if someone could fix that, I personally enjoy it more when I listen at a faster speed I because I get immersed into what is read and don't have time to think "Hmm, wonder wha..."

What device do you listen on? I use the Android app and gradually increase to 3x if reading at the same time. It seems to take 1/3 time to read book versus just listening. Keeps ADD brain occupied.

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Tjo wrote: "Steve wrote: "For some reason, the actual speed is always slower than "advertised" speed. seems pretty consistent on iphone 5 and nexus5 and note2
1.5x is about 1.2x
2x is about 1.4x
3x is about 2x..."

I would say this is comparable to my experience with the Android Audible app. At least the fact that 3x setting = 2x speed.

message 13: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments Tjo wrote: "For what it is worth, this has not been my experience. I tested Audible app speeds on my iPhone 4s this evening and consistently found the following:
1.25x = 1.25x (10 minutes real time = 12.5 minutes book time)
1.5x = 1.5x (10 minutes real time = 15 minutes book time)
2.0x = 2.0x (10 minutes real time = 20 minutes book time)
2.5x = 2.0x (10 minutes real time = 20 minutes book time)
3.0x = 2.0x (10 minutes real time = 20 minutes book time)
..."

Tjo, I have the same phone and did the same test previously. There is a thread somewhere that came up on listening speeds and I verified the speeds were actual up to 2x. Audible then commented on my post that even though their app shows speeds over 2x, they will play at a maximum of 2x speed.

message 14: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments Grumpus wrote: "Tjo, I have the same phone and did the same test previously. There is a thread somewhere that came up on listening speeds and I verified the speeds were actual up to 2x..."

I found the thread...Audible's response to my question is Comment #3.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...