The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

How much time do you spend reading each day?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Hi all! I'm just curious how much time people spend reading each day. Right now school is out (I'm a teacher) and I've been spending so much time reading. It's great, but other things aren't getting done as they should be, like exercising! It just got me wondering. And if you get absorbed in a book, what doesn't get done in your house?

message 2: by Ciska (new)

Ciska Hi, If I get my teeth (so to speak) into a book really good book then I have to finish it in one go. Then nothing gets done. I tend to only read those types of books in the weekend. Most of the time I have 30-60mins of personal reading time everyday. Although I wish it was more - but then my family would not get feed and the many other chores that I have to do would not get done either.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 83 comments So funny. In June I got next to no reading done because I was exercising so much. I have lost almost 20 pounds since late April. Now I just want to read. I have read almost 2 books in two days. But usually it takes me about a week to read a book. But sometimes I just go on a reading rampage like these two days. Other times I will be lucky to read one in a month like I did in June. It just depends on my mood, other commitments, work, school (I am starting the pharmacy program in the fall and I doubt I will do much reading or even want to read) and weather. I live in Seattle and it has been so nice and sunny that if you stay inside it's like this horrendous guilt. So I go outside and reading is forgotten. Now that it has been really nice for a while - except today it's raining and gross, I spend my free time outside.

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie It really depends on the day, Monday thru Friday I usually read at least 40 mins a day( my lunch hour). Most days I will read at least a little bit more before bed but I work 2 jobs and on my 13 hr days I'm usually to tired by the time I get home to do any reading. On weekends depending on what I have going on, I can spend most of the day reading or only read a few pages over the entire weekend( I hate when that happens).

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) I mostly read an hour in the mornings then just before bed helps me sleep.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 115 comments I read about 1-3 hours a day. Since I don't have a car, I'm able to read on a 30-minute train ride to and from work each day, and if I'm not too busy, I can get in another hour during my lunch break and at dinner. Oddly enough, I never seem to find enough time or motivation for reading on the weekends, even when I have hours to kill!

If I get absorbed in a book (which seems to be happening with increased frequency these days), absolutely nothing gets done. No cooking, no dishes, no laundry, no freelance work. It's rather shameful.

message 7: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 3 comments I usually read 1 to 2 hours first thing in the morning but lately that hasn't been happening but I still grab a few minutes here and there during the day.

message 8: by Carlos (new)

Carlos | 4 comments I'm learning english but I wanna participate :), thanks in advance for your patience.

All depends on the the day, Mon-Fri I usually read 2-3 hours, Sat-Sun I can read 4 to 6 hours per day.

Why I'm learning English?? because I don't like wait for the translations. I hope can learn fast.

message 9: by Danni (new)

Danni (luciepurr) | 2 comments I spend at least 2 hours, but generally about 4-6, dependent on the length. I have 4 younger siblings which I do a big part in raising so I basically help out with them until they're all in bed and then come to bed and read/watch tv. Although they are all in some form of school on weekdays (except the 7 month old who only does 3 days) so I get more reading time then.
There are many people who say "I don't have time to read -not even a chapter-" when they live on pretty much the same day schedule to me, and spend hours at night in bed playing Candy Crush and solitaire. So I do everything I can to make room for books in my life, and aim to read one a day.

message 10: by Justine (new)

Justine (juslagunzad) | 17 comments it really depends on my schedule but i make sure that i read for around an hour or two every night just before i sleep.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 115 comments Danni wrote: "I spend at least 2 hours, but generally about 4-6, dependent on the length. I have 4 younger siblings which I do a big part in raising so I basically help out with them until they're all in bed and..."

You finish one book a day? That's incredible.

message 12: by Nila (new)

Nila | 45 comments whenever possible! 3-4 hours a day minimum. Lots of great books out there I don't want to miss anyone of them....

message 13: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 64 comments It is an interesting question. It depends on a lot of things - my health, my mood, my errands. Some days, I don't read literature at all, sometimes I read a 3-400 page book in one sitting

message 14: by Sarah Nichole (new)

Sarah Nichole Right now I am on summer break from college so I have extra time to read. I'm also looking for a job at the moment so that's even more time to spare. When I have to do both of those things, time for books gets less and less. Instead of using hours..I try to read 100 pages a day, more if I can, or at least a chapter before bed to keep it going. I don't ever go a day without reading.

message 15: by Symone (new)

Symone Lewis | 52 comments I like to read whenever possible, whether it is riding in the car, waiting at the bus stop, or while riding on the bus. I like to read at least 1 hour a day.

message 16: by Dora (new)

Dora Rodriguez (geekyteacher) | 5 comments I try to read at least 1 hour in the morning when I go to work and 1 in the afternoon, when I go back home. As I am a teacher, I also have to read things for work, so I may read work-related stuff for 2-3 hours when I´m planning my weekly lessons. Over the weekend I try to read 5-6 hours per day. I cannot go a day without reading.

message 17: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 1419 comments I read all the time and have since I was about 6 yrs old. Depending on my schedule it's sometimes just 30minutes a day and other times just about all day. I almost always have an upstairs book and a downstairs book along with one in my car to read at stoplights or when traffic is at a standstill. I find it hard to imagine a day without a great book!

message 18: by Aisyaraisya (new)

Aisyaraisya | 23 comments actually it depends with the book that I read.
If I love and curious bout the book, I can spends a whole day for reading that.

message 19: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (adrianitapineda) | 5 comments It depends on what i have to do, but sometimes i spend 5-8 hr reading during the day but i always have to read before i go to sleep propable 1hr or 2. that's why my mornings are dreadful, because i tend to finally go to sleep at or 3 am

message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan I can only manage about a half an hour a day right now. I usually read a bit on my lunch and before bed. It's just the way my schedule is right now and I miss reading terribly. I may try to get some audio books to listen to on my way to work.

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 90 comments I get about 1 hour from a round trip commute to work on the train and then usually I throw in an extra half an hour to an hour once I get home.

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Sparkle | 20 comments I usually read for at least 3 to 4 hours a day.

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin | 5 comments I try to read at least a couple of chapters before I go to sleep, and if I have a free day I can read the whole day. If it's a good book, I tend to forget my schedule and spend 4 or 5 hours reading.

message 24: by Alla (last edited Aug 09, 2014 08:36AM) (new)

Alla (allaskarp) | 243 comments I try to read for a few hours every day if I can. I´m lucky, I work that kind of work that I can read there because I have a lot of waiting time there. But if I get very busy days where I can´t read at all I can get a little frustrated, especially if I´m in a middle of a book that I´m enjoying.
I very often finish a book in a day if I start reading it in the morning.

message 25: by Arun (new)

Arun Das | 1 comments There is no discipline in my reading. It could be a few minutes for some days or it could be 18 hours straight if i feel like it.

message 26: by Patrena (new)

Patrena Miller (authorpatrenamiller) | 4 comments I am not a discipline reader.

message 27: by Dr.N-mila (new)

Dr.N-mila Depends on my schedule
It can get from 30 min on busy days to 12+ hours.
whenever I get a chance to pick a book I don't skip it for anything in the world (unless I'm really so exhausted :p)

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments I usually like to read for about half an hour before going to bed, but if there's a really good book or I have free time then that's all that I get done in a day :P :)

message 29: by Joana (new)

Joana Monteiro (joanamonteiiro) | 3 comments It depends if I am excited about the book I'm reading, or intrigued, or if I have something else better to do... Some days I just sit down and read all afternoon and other days I don't pick the book up at all.

message 30: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 24 comments I try to read at least an hour a day.

message 31: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Cairns | 10 comments I have three books on the go. My bedside book which I typically read for 15-30 minutes before I go to sleep.MY toilet book (always non fiction) which I read for as long as and as often as I need to do my business. Thirdly my book on the go for waiting rooms etc. I have a Kobo Touch and the Kindle app on my phone. Altogether I wouldn't spend more than an hour a day reading for pleasure, but that's all the time I can spare.

message 32: by Fran (new)

Fran | 4 comments I read in bed, before falling asleep. However, falling asleep is not my objective or anything like that. I guess that working full time affects my concentration and motivation for that matter, because there always more urgent things I should be doing if I want to read during the day.

message 33: by Os (new)

Os Lau | 1 comments I just started reading regularly like on a daily basis last month since I bought a couple books which left untouched till one day out of nowhere, I decided to flip open the pages.

Then, I got hooked to reading and start reading on a daily basis. As I'm working full time, I spend 1-2 hours to read before bed time usually after dinner and some TV programmes which are of my interest.

Then I spend reading till I decided I'm too tired to read any longer.Usually time will be around midnight already.

message 34: by Zineb (new)

Zineb | 6 comments It feels so good to know I am not the only one getting anything done haha! Gosh; it sounds bad. I just graduated college, and right after finishing my exams i felt so excited that i could back to reading; i read three books at once at first! and yes; I turned to a couch potato/bed potato/chair potato! all potatoes there is! LOL ! I had to get some exercise done and move on with my life, so I am cutting it down to three books a week!

message 35: by Aisyaraisya (new)

Aisyaraisya | 23 comments I used to read everytime. like seriously. I read everytime.
But with my crazy schedule for collage and work, now I just have a time for read when I about to go to sleep :")
*sigh

message 36: by Gabby (new)

Gabby (jazzygrapefruit) School messes my reading schedule up, between sports and homework I only get about an hour to read, which I usually do before bed. My sport will soon be over though, so reading more here I come!

message 37: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 4 comments I try to read whenever I can! I keep my kindle in my purse and pick it up whenever there is time! I always try to read on either a 15 or 30 minuet break at work and then nights that I'm home, I binge read.

message 38: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Evans (hilevans83) | 4 comments Most days I read at least two to four hours. Some days I have other stuff to do, and some i binge read all day. It just depends.

message 39: by Slytherin Rose (new)

Slytherin Rose (kschatterbox) | 2 comments I read at least an hour and half (work lunch & both breaks) and then when I get home I usually pick it up again for another 2 hours or so

message 40: by Kajal (new)

Kajal I usually red about 2 to 3 hours a day! Although when its exam season, i tend to get no reading done because of the workload.

message 41: by Lugosifan (new)

Lugosifan | 157 comments It just depends on the day, my average though is from about 4-5 hours.

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) I read at least 1 hour a day(average). On holidays, 4-6 hours..I've my mom to do the chores and I've got all the time in the world for reading. When I start school and get a job and become busy, it will change.

message 43: by John (new)

John Mann Always at least two hours a night. On weekends though I might read for six or more hours at a time

message 44: by Novy (new)

Novy Cendian if i want to know the end of the story soon i will spend 5-6 hours to read. but yes i still re-read the books

message 45: by Maggie (new)

Maggie It is a chilly, very rainy day in Ct, perfect reading weather. I've been reading for about 6 hrs today :)

message 46: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Tylden-Pattenson | 6 comments My reading rate really varies. I can read for hours and hours one day if I've not read for a while and a book holds my attention, or only for 5-10 minutes sometimes. I've always loved reading before bed, for maybe 1/2 hour or so- same in the mornings. But whenever I have a book near me and time to spare really!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I can read for ages and ages, but now that I have a house to maintain, I try to get all the household chores done before I lose myself in a book. On a day-to-day basis, I generally read for about an hour before bed, and two hours throughout the day....unless of course everything is done and I can disappear for awhile! ;)

message 48: by Zainr (new)

Zainr  (Zainr) | 22 comments Early mornings when I wake up and of course before going back to bed. I just read whenever I have the time to do so. Reading is something so precious to me and when I betray this beauty for example when I go to a slump people would find me just there in the corner shouting to myself for not reading so yeah I read whenever I feel like it.

message 49: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 15 comments Depends on the day but its between 1- 4 hours a day, If I'm really busy it could be between half an hour to an hour.

message 50: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 112 comments It usually depends at least an hour but I have neglected things and read eight to ten hours straight though that is rare, life doesn't allow that to happen too often.

« previous 1