The Sword and Laser discussion

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about The Name of the Wind
2014 Reads > notw: August 2014 Pick: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
The August pick has been announced: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

via Podcast #184

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
I enjoyed this, though maybe not as much as some. I only read it last year, so I probably won't be rereading it in August myself, but look forward to the discussion.

message 3: by Dharmakirti (last edited Jul 23, 2014 06:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I started reading The Name of the Wind a couple years ago but I never finished because I left my copy of the novel on the bus.

I really liked the portion of the novel I did read, and I look forward to reading this with the group next month.

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I read this about a year and a half ago and I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

Camilla Hansen (malazanshadowdancer) | 64 comments Ooh, I bought a used paperback edition I never got around to, so this is a good opportunity! :>

message 6: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments You picked one on my reading list.
How'd that happen?

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Good. I've read it twice, once in print and once in audio. No need to read it again. I can get caught up. (That's facetious.)

message 8: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (patthebadger) | 100 comments Its been on my list for ages & in a rare act of prescience, I started reading it a couple of days ago.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Me too, Pat! It felt like the right time. :D So glad we are reading it for the club.

Kelli C (kellimcassell) | 73 comments I'm so happy with this pick! I've been wanted to read it but somehow it never made its way to the top of my reading list. I'm going to finish up the book I'm currently reading (not a book club book) and then jump right in.

Kristina | 588 comments I'm looking forward to re-reading it!

message 12: by terpkristin (last edited Jul 24, 2014 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

terpkristin | 4117 comments I read it a few years ago and am looking forward to re-reading it. Unfortunately, I have some other reading commitments that work has made difficult to meet, so I may not get to it immediately. I hope I have time to finish it this month. I want to talk about it with people but I need to refresh my memory on it (and not The Wise Man's Fear).

Kristin Fritchman | 8 comments Hooray! I can count on one hand the number of books I've ever re-read (children's books notwithstanding), and the Kingkiller Chronicles are two of them. I was actually kicking around the idea of re-reading it again soon. Now I have a good excuse!

Darren Perfect time for a re-read, with the novella coming out in the fall.

message 15: by Leif (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leif (leffa) | 19 comments Great pick. Read it last year so I don't think I'll read it this month, but this will give me time to catch up on some other books in my evergrowing to-read pile :)

message 16: by Skip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Skip | 517 comments Jo Walton (the author of S&L book pick Among Others) wrote the reread of the series for Tor here. It will spoil both books in the series though, so be forewarned. I've read it a couple times, it is such a well crafted book.

I will say that reading the book after The Wise Man's Fear brings a whole new appreciation to NotW. I foresee lots of spoiler tags in our future.

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments For those who previously read it in print, I highly recommending listening to it in audio for your re-read. Nick Podehl is perfect as Kvothe. And, you know those stories that are told in the course of the book? I skimmed over those in print. In audio, as a re-read, I really got the fact that the stories really tied into the main narrative. Since the whole book is Kvothe telling the story of his life, it's one of those books that's ideally suited to the audio format.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2447 comments This one has been on my 'to read' pile for some time so I am excited to get the extra incentive to read it. Going to have to start a week early though as it's a pretty thick book, it might be a challenge for the slower reader to get through.

message 19: by Ions (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ions i've [listened to] NotW and WMF at least 8 times... am I even allowed to participate? LoL

message 20: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark (markmtz) | 2231 comments I thought I had a copy of NotW in my TBR pile and I found two! Any other SwordandLaserites in Santa Fe, NM? I have an extra copy.

message 21: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Olson (yollege) | 11 comments Ack, 2 months in a row you've picked a novel I've read in the past year. While both were good, I'm not going to re-read something so soon :).

message 22: by Jack (last edited Jul 27, 2014 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack (wineontheveldt) I'm from Santa Fe! Though I have the book and am stuck down in Roswell right now. Still cool to see someone from the old SF.

Already had the paperback but lent that when I saw the e-book and audio with whispersync was only $10. Worth it!

Paolo I have no idea what I'm getting into but I bought a copy and I'm joining this for August.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments Sandi wrote: "For those who previously read it in print, I highly recommending listening to it in audio for your re-read. Nick Podehl is perfect as Kvothe. And, you know those stories that are told in the cour..."

I didn't enjoy the character Kvothe but you are right I did enjoy the voice actor he was great really saved the books for me.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments I hate to be so blunt and I'll prob save the details for the read but Kvothe is a bit of a jack you know what. I found the atmosphere/world and the side characters to be more interesting.

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1318 comments Hello everyone, I have sent numerous copies of The Name of the Wind to relatives & friends. It has become my barometer as to the nature of my commitment to the friendship, ie drive to the airport, bail them out of jail, you get the drift.

message 27: by John (john) (new) - added it

John (john) (dowdykitchenman) | 130 comments Lemmed it a couple hundred pages in, but not willing to turn in my card for doing so. It's not for everybody.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments John wrote: "Lemmed it a couple hundred pages in, but not willing to turn in my card for doing so. It's not for everybody."

Yay there is now two of us in the club. I didn't Lem it audio book saved me.

Icelord | 35 comments Seems like I'm a rare first-timer to this book. Just started it as audio at lunch today while on my usual walk during the break.

Liking it so far but I get the feeling I already know where this is going. But it's good storytelling and good listening so I'm game to hear it through and enjoy the tale. Will be fun to read along with the group this month for the first time in a long time.

message 30: by Ions (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ions I hate to say it, but you'll get much more out of the books on the second or more listenings. Pat has crammed a lot of subtle shit in the series, and a lot of red Herrings. the Rothfuss community on good reads is still puzzling over details and we've had years to re-read/listen

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments I read this on a long uncomfortable flight years ago. hopefully a second read will be more enjoyable.

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments I'm also a first timer, about 200 pages in and really enjoying it.

Joshua (joshua_tree) | 4 comments I, too am one of the first time readers. I bought it from Audible a while ago, but I was a bit intimidated by it --it is long and popular, so if I didn't really like it, it would be a tedious listen. So it just got buried under the list of to listen, but now that I've started it, I'm really enjoying it. I'm glad this was the monthly pick.

Jessica | 22 comments Wow! Weird timing. I was busy reading this in June instead of Promise of Blood. I love The Name of the Wind! Patrick Rothfuss has a way with words.

Michael Carlstrom | 2 comments So, I'm a first time reader of tnotw, am really enjoying it overall. Waiting for the background story to catch up with the present day activities. But am noticing (am currently starting chapter 54) that a lot of the characterizations have a Potteresk feel to them. Everyone is hanging at the wizards school / university...Ambrose = Malfoy, Simmons = Ron Weasley, stuff like that.

Nothing terrible, and I'm deep into the world and story line. But it was a feeling that makes me want to see when these different stroies were oublished in relation to each other.

Very happy so far with how I'm drawn in to the character of Kvothe and how he isn't, as he says, "the typical storybook hero that wins the day". Seems more real with his flaws and mistakes.

Paolo 28% into the book right now. At the part where Skarpi has just told the story about Lanre.

The stories within the story within the story are interesting, but not as engaging as the story of Kvothe himself.

Derek (raistlinsghost) | 81 comments First time reader of NotW here. I've been considering starting this series for awhile now, because a certain podcast host has been gushing about this series and Rothfuss, but the novel's size has been putting me off starting it, in spite of how awesome she's been making it sound.

I'm on Chapter 52 now, and am really glad that this is the pick for the month so far. I've found the Sword picks have been falling a little flat for my tastes lately (Promise of Blood, Dance of Cloaks), but this is a joy to read. I'm switching between the e book and audible versions, and enjoying both reading the prose and having Nick Podehl's excellent narration read to me.

Not knowing how this turns out, I may have a different opinion when this is all over, but I really like Rothfuss' take on magic, and the world he's building here. I will admit to having to look up the monetary system a few times though, to keep drabs, shims, jots and talents straight. I've found this helpful.

To a few of the points raised so far on this thread:

Is Kvothe made out to be too much the heroic character? Maybe, but it is after all a man telling how almost mythical legends about him began. I think we're supposed to see that he's a person who has survived some extraordinary events and hardships, and with the help of his amazing talents, affected the world around him. Not to get at all spoilery, but we do learn that not all of the legends around his life are justified, but that's part of the fun.

And I too am seeing the similarities between Kvothe's university time and that of a fella by the name of Harry Potter, but its easy for me to reconcile the fact that J.K. Rowling didn't invent the university experience. I don't see Hermione or Ron in Kvothe's companions just yet. Maybe a little Draco in Ambrose, but you see what you're looking for, I think.

One other thing I wanted to mention: I liked Rothfuss' tongue in cheek early nods to waiting a long time to writing a great story. I love fourth wall type stuff in writing/media, and that felt like Rothfuss talking to his audience about his writing experience to me.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Ivalen | 9 comments This book again? Rothfuss needs to stop being an Internet star and get book #3 finished.

Reminds me of kickstarter and beta game developers hitting up people for money and generating all sorts of buzz but the product never coming to fruition.

message 39: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Bedford | 3 comments Hi all. I've just started name of the wind this week. I'm just about to start chapter 7 where I'm assuming he tells his life story?

I like the pace and tone so far although I seem to be the odd one out here being a first time reader.

This will be a slow read however as I cannot justify the exorbitant cost of the audiobooks from audible. Split into 2 parts, each part costing £19.99 each? Unless I can find it cheaper elsewhere it will be kindle only which will limit it to my 30 mins a day lunch break!!

Anyway, enjoying what I've read so far.

Paolo First time reader here too :) just so you don't feel so much like the odd one out :p

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I loved this book. It's a very long and for that reason alone I almost decided to pass on it. I'm glad I didn't.

Paolo Just finished Chapter 36, which is the chapter where Kvothe is interviewed by the Masters :D Best Chapter thus far!

But really, everything from when Kvothe decided to leave Tarbean, travelled and met Deanna, and finally arrived at The University has been ace.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2447 comments aPriL meows 'n growls TLDR wrote: "I loved this book. It's a very long and for that reason alone I almost decided to pass on it. I'm glad I didn't."

If you think this is long... take a look at the second book in the series :)

Olivia (oliviayoungers) | 115 comments I tend to prefer lasers to swords so when I say I read this book in the span of less than a week (and I work 12 hour days) it means a lot.

Then I read the second book in about three days.

Thanks for the great pick this month gang!!

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1528 comments I think the "Hard Fantasy" magic system and world rules in this book tends to work for fans of Sci-FI, better then most traditional fantasy. I think the same could be said for the Mistborn: The Final Empire series.

Fredrik (fredurix) | 217 comments I first had this book recommended to me when it came out, but I resisted because.. I don't know. Perhaps I was in an anti-doorstop fantasy phase. Perhaps I got the impression it was juvenile marty-stu stuff. Whatever the reason, that sense of antipathy lingered and I was reluctant to join the S&L reading.

Well.. thanks to another round of personal recommendations and also meeting Pat Rothfuss in person, I belatedly joined the party and started listening to the audiobook. And you know what, guys? It's a pretty good story!'

(*so far. I'm where he's trying to survive in the big city.)