New Authors Under the Mainstream Radar discussion

Writer Advice > Anyone else overwhelmed this summer?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (TaylorDiVico) | 31 comments Mod
Hey all,

I thought summer was supposed to be relaxing? Not the case for this writer. The good news is I've had lots of inspiration and as a result have several new projects in the works, but self-promotion for my existing novel has consequently fallen by the wayside. I just seem to be in the creative mode versus the business mode...and it feels great! Is there anything wrong with that?

Any ideas on how to manage time effectively so new works can be written while still vigorously promoting old works? It truly is such a juggling act!

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mason (authoryvonnemason) | 4 comments send me an e-mail at ysam51@yahoo.com and I will help you promote. There are a couple of sites I want you to go to and look at.

message 3: by Pete (new)

Pete Grondin (pjgrondin) | 1 comments Hi Yvonne,
Sent you an e-mail with a request for the same information.

Thanks,
Pete

message 4: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mason (authoryvonnemason) | 4 comments Pete wrote: "Hi Yvonne,
Sent you an e-mail with a request for the same information.

Thanks,
Pete"

Pete you should have mail

message 5: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mason (authoryvonnemason) | 4 comments Taylor wrote: "Hey all,

I thought summer was supposed to be relaxing? Not the case for this writer. The good news is I've had lots of inspiration and as a result have several new projects in the works, but sel..."

I have found that is I write or do research when it is my peak time then when my mind goes to mush I promote. I do it all online

message 6: by Kevis (last edited Aug 15, 2009 09:38AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 19 comments Taylor wrote: "Hey all,

I thought summer was supposed to be relaxing? Not the case for this writer. The good news is I've had lots of inspiration and as a result have several new projects in the works, but sel..."

Taylor,

I'm one of those people who usually shuts out the entire world and drops everything else like a bad habit when I am writing a new book. However, since publishing my books I have found that I am spending far more time promoting my books than writing. There is certainly something wrong with this picture.

From my experience, it is more important to to write your new story than get bogged down in the hassle of self promotion. Of course, I say this as someone who tries to spend no less than 2 hours everyday promoting my work or/and engaging in social networking.

Self promotion is work, but writing should be fun. As long as you attend to the needs of your writing first, then you can spend as much time as you feel you need to after that to promote your books.

I think Yvonne has it right. It's best to get the writing done first so that when you start promoting you are won't be too exhausted from your promotional efforts to be able to write.

message 7: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mason (authoryvonnemason) | 4 comments Kevis wrote: "Taylor wrote: "Hey all,

I thought summer was supposed to be relaxing? Not the case for this writer. The good news is I've had lots of inspiration and as a result have several new projects in the w..."

And as indie authors we have to promote oursleves there is no one else to do it. I know that most of us write for the love of writing, but it is nice to see a return on the investment - Managing one's time is the best solution. Some days I just can't write- because life gets in the way- those are the days I work on promotion it is one of those things that you can put down and come back to all during your down time. Networking is one of the best tools out there. Blog talk radio is your friend. Trust me- if any of you google my name you will see I am all over the net. I am even some places I never suspected to be - places that others have linked me to.
Use the internet as your friend, don't be afraid to put yourself out there, don't be afraid to connect with other authors. Get them to review your books, review theirs, trust me it works.
And I am also here to help you. It is not an easy road, but then if it was anyone could do it. This path is for the long haul and for those who are dedicated to being read and heard. It has taken me over thirty years just to get this far and I am not finished. I have done it with the help of other indie authors, no on in the mainstream has lifted a finger to help. So it can be done.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Thompson (davilbob) | 5 comments I pulled my novel Riding the Florida Time Line from being sold until I make some corrections. I don't want any of you to buy a book that is not the best I can do.