Goodreads Ireland discussion

Geographical Challenge 2018 > First Waypoint of Geographical Challenge

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids Ok, folks, this is our first stage of our Geographical Challenge and will last until the 18th of February. This is just a way of checking in to see how things are going with everyone. There will be 7 Waypoints throughout the year.
Happy Book Travelling!

Bookworm with Kids I am going to start my Orient Express journey in Paris with All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. This will be my journey through France for stage 1 of the Challenge.

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments just got my list of books for my toru of italy. luckily I have a few of the books already and some I can excess with my Kindle.

I'll be going through the region's alphabetical.

happy reading to anyone doing this challenge 😀

message 4: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I'm still looking at books at the moment. I'll do Australia. Some of my challenges are -
- read books already on my shelf
- cover all the states of Australia
- try and read books that written around or have something about a significant event in Australian History for example the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I hope to have this finalised this weekend.

message 5: by SueLucie (new)

SueLucie | 72 comments I have been thinking of a challenge for myself and have decided to tackle European writing. I am currently reading a NetGalley ARC of The Eight Mountains by Paolo Cognetti. So that's Italy covered - Kara: not sure what region it is set in, Alpine for sure.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil my target is the 10 countries of which the Danube flows through or touch. my first book being measuring the world by Daniel kehlmann. looking him up, he has dual nationality between Austria and Germany so the question to count him as the book from Austria or the book from Germany. I'm inclined to Austria but that is laziness influenced by 2 other Germans on my tbr she'll (jenny erpenbeck and Larissa boehning)

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments just 1/16 done for me so far, it will be a marathon rather than a sprint

message 8: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 152 comments I'll be reading books from Australia but I haven't really thought of any geographical challenges or themes. I might just read women writers.

message 9: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I've finished my first book The Dressmaker. I really enjoyed it. This was the second time I've read this book. The first time I read it I listened to it. I think I enjoyed it more this time reading it.

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I have this but haven't read it yet .Glad you enjoyed it !

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Declan wrote: "Just starting Colorless By Murakami."

I plan on reading this soon . I have a couple of books to read before I get to this .Hope you enjoy it :)

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments My plan was to read 3 books per continent (no countries twice and only 1 for Antartica) and by each waypoint have 1 continent completed. I changed this plan slightly and I'm reading the books in any order. So currently ahead of schedule and have read the following 4 books.

Sea of Poppies - India/Asia
Half a Yellow Sun - Nigeria/Africa
Out Stealing Horses - Norway/Europe
Death in the Andes - Peru/South America

message 13: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments That's a nice selection Peter.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I have started with Gabriela Mistral: A Reader. She was the first Latin American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. The reader has poetry as well as prose. Stunning so far. I also have a huge collection in Spanish of her poetry and prose. I am going to some of the poems in Spanish as the original language often has more of an impact.

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments Thank Maria. They were all great reads and you'll know the Irish connection in Half of a Yellow Sun.

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Declan wrote: "It has started quite well. His stuff is quite weird, but I find it very appealing.

Hopefully I'll have good news to report as I delve further in to it."

I love his weird stuff his "normal" book Norwegian Wood I found I didn't like so much.

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments 1q84 was my first book I read of his it was so good . Have you read Bone Clocks be David Mitchell . It the same type of weirdness .

message 18: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Lol don't worry I read it as 1q84 :)

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I have started Gabriela Mistral: A Reader as my Latin American Nobel Prize winners challenge. She was from Chile and a teacher of the young Pablo Neruda.

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments Just added another completed book for the Global Challange. This is my favourite so far.

State of Wonder - Brazil/South America

message 21: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I'm glad you liked Colorless , I'm reading that next

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments Can anyone suggest a book from Papua New Guinea? Not necessarily the author but the story based there. I was thinking "The Samana Incident: A Crime Novel of Papua New Guinea" or "Ruth"

message 23: by SueLucie (new)

SueLucie | 72 comments Peter wrote: "Can anyone suggest a book from Papua New Guinea? Not necessarily the author but the story based there. I was thinking "The Samana Incident: A Crime Novel of Papua New Guinea" or "Ruth""

Peter - I read Modern Gods by Nick Laird last year. It has two settings - Papua and Northern Ireland - so might be quite fitting for your challenge. I enjoyed it.

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments Sue wrote: "Peter wrote: "Can anyone suggest a book from Papua New Guinea? Not necessarily the author but the story based there. I was thinking "The Samana Incident: A Crime Novel of Papua New Guinea" or "Ruth..."

Sounds really good and always better when it's a recommendation. From NI too. I bought "Fiji: A Novel" and looking into it I'm not so sure it's my bag. Thanks a lot !!

message 25: by SueLucie (new)

SueLucie | 72 comments Well, I hope you enjoy it.
I was interested to see you mentioned you enjoyed Ann Patchett's State of Wonder - I liked it very much (as I have everything I've read of hers) but it got mixed reviews from people I know.
Now it's near the middle of the month, I'm hoping for a few more people to join us discussing Out Stealing Horses .....

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Peter wrote: "Just added another completed book for the Global Challange. This is my favourite so far.

State of Wonder - Brazil/South America"

I liked that novel a lot. I will add it is by an American writer and set in Brazil.

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Declan wrote: "It looks like the challenge has well and truly started.

I've just finished Murakami's Colorless, which I really enjoyed, and I'll be off to China soon to read some near-future, dystopian sci-fi, w..."

I know you are talented at finding books in those categories from all over the world.

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Peter wrote: "Can anyone suggest a book from Papua New Guinea? Not necessarily the author but the story based there. I was thinking "The Samana Incident: A Crime Novel of Papua New Guinea" or "Ruth""

Nick Laird's Modern Gods is set there. He's from Northern Ireland. The story is about a "cargo cult" - and you will find out what those are when you read the book :)

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments Barbara wrote: "Peter wrote: "Can anyone suggest a book from Papua New Guinea? Not necessarily the author but the story based there. I was thinking "The Samana Incident: A Crime Novel of Papua New Guinea" or "Ruth..."

Thanks, Barbara. This book has a calling to me since I'm from Northern reland. There's also a giveaway just came through for Rituals of the Dead: An Artifact Mystery. Spoilt for choice now :)

Bookworm with Kids The comment thread for the Second Waypoint of the Geographical Challenge is now open here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 31: by SueLucie (new)

SueLucie | 72 comments Peter wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Peter wrote: "Can anyone suggest a book from Papua New Guinea? Not necessarily the author but the story based there. I was thinking "The Samana Incident: A Crime Novel of Papua New ..."

That one looks interesting, Peter, and a Netherlands connection always appeals.

message 32: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments The Netherlands and Ireland Hummm. We'd better not say too much :)