Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Overflowing Bookshelf Challenge > Charlie's Overflowing Bookshelf Challenge 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Charlie (last edited Oct 31, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I have two goals this year; 1. Read books that I own rather than buying new books. 2. Try and read books I've owned for more than a year.

I own a ridiculous amount of both physical and ebook books so only those will count for this challenge. New Purchases and books borrowed from friends and the library/ Scribd do not count.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I'll update periodically, I aim to read 20 books I own by April, 40 by August and 60 by December.

The Book Pledge Challenge:

How it works:
Decide how many books you'd like to read from your personal collection within a given timeframe. Then track your progress towards your goal:

Charlotte's Book Pledge Challenge [Goal: 40 by 08/2018]:

41. The Extinction Trials (ebook)
42. Fangirl (ebook)
43. The Little Android (ebook)
44. Renegades
45. An Ember in the Ashes (ebook)

46. Swallowing Darkness
47. Elric of Melniboné
48. Steelheart (ebook)
49. Marked
50. Mitosis (ebook)

51. Sea of Shadows
52. Three Dark Crowns (ebook)
53. The Special Ones
54. The Invisible Library (ebook)
55.Firefight (ebook)

56. Club Shadowlands (ebook)
57. Bad Boy (ebook)
58. A Torch Against the Night
59. Scythe (ebook)
60. Curran POV Collection (ebook)
Quidditch Through the Ages
61. One Dark Throne (ebook)
62. Angelic (ebook)
63. Magic Triumphs (ebook)
64. Calamity (ebook)
65. Shadow and Bone (ebook)
66. Clean Sweep (ebook)
67. Quidditch Through the Ages (ebook)
68. Kings of the Wyld (ebook)
67. Children of Blood and Bone
68. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
69. Slave to Sensation
70. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

71. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
72. This Savage Song (ebook)
73. Circe (ebook)
74. Prince Caspian
75. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
76. City of Bones
77. Siege and Storm ebook
78. The Magicians' Guild
79. Sweep in Peace
80. Mage's Blood
81. Pretty Lies ebook
82. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
83. Visions of Heat
84. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
85. The Wise Man's Fear ebook
86. The Silver Chair

message 2: by Charlie (last edited Jul 03, 2018 02:25PM) (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments 1. Blood Song
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
3. Homeland (ebook)
4.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
5.Broken (ebook)
6.Menagerie (ebook)
7.Legend
8. Illuminae
9. Warbreaker
10. Wyrd Sisters

11. A Darker Shade of Magic
12. Captive in the Dark (ebook)
13. Seduced in the Dark (ebook)
14. Epilogue (ebook)
15. Burn Bright (ebook)

16. Alpha & Omega (ebook)
17. Moon Called (ebook)
18. Blood Bound (ebook)
19. Iron Kissed (ebook)
20. Bone Crossed (ebook)

21. Silver Borne (ebook)
22. River Marked (ebook)
23. Frost Burned (ebook)
24. Night Broken (ebook)
25. Fire Touched (ebook)

26. Written in Red (ebook)
27. Murder of Crows (ebook)
28. Vision in Silver (ebook)
29. Persephone (ebook)
30. Pretty Lies (ebook)

31. Hear Me (ebook)
32. The Lightning Thief
33. A Court of Frost and Starlight
34. The Hero of Ages
35. Freed (ebook)

36. The Last Namsara (ebook)
37. Red Sister (ebook)
38. Carve the Mark (ebook)
39. Nevernight (ebook)
40. Iron and Magic (ebook)

message 3: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Nice one Charlie, very organised! 30 by December eh, nice dint in that list of 900 ;)

message 4: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Haha I didn't wanna start off too adventurous! My GR reading challenge is 150 books this year so really at least 75% of these should be books I own but I know what I'm like.

message 5: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Charlie wrote: "Haha I didn't wanna start off too adventurous! My GR reading challenge is 150 books this year so really at least 75% of these should be books I own but I know what I'm like."

That's awesome :) it's definitely best not to make your goal too unattainable in these challenges I think.

message 6: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Haha I didn't wanna start off too adventurous! My GR reading challenge is 150 books this year so really at least 75% of these should be books I own but I know what I'm like."

That'..."

Okay I've edited it, 60 in total :D

message 7: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Charlie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Haha I didn't wanna start off too adventurous! My GR reading challenge is 150 books this year so really at least 75% of these should be books I own but I know what I..."

I didn't mean you should do that hun! I meant you were doing the right thing! Sorry, clumsy sentence structure.

Good on you though if you do want to pledge those numbers!

message 8: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments At least half of what I read should be already owned books, it just makes sense :)

message 9: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Well done! You're on 8 out of 20 and it's only part way through Feb :D

message 10: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments First 10 completed!

message 11: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Congrats Charlie! 😁 Did you read Blood Song twice?

message 12: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Oh no! Ive obviously added it when I started reading and when I finished! Thanks for the catch, I'll edit it :).

message 13: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I'm sorry to be the spoilsport 🙈

message 14: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Anni wrote: "I'm sorry to be the spoilsport 🙈"

Haha it just means I need to hurry up and finish book 10.

message 15: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Finished book 10! Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett.

message 16: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Charlie wrote: "Finished book 10! Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett."

Yay! Well done xD

message 17: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Hit my Target of 20 by the end of April, very pleased with this! I've been to the library a few timed but I've left empty handed, done really well just reading things I own.

message 18: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Good job, Charlie! :D It feels good to see the progress, doesn't it!

message 19: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Siobhan wrote: "Good job, Charlie! :D It feels good to see the progress, doesn't it!"

Yes! I need to ban myself from the library though, it's too tempting. I've deactivated my Scribd account though so that'll help.

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7418 comments Mod
Great job!! It feels so good to focus on owned titles. I don't have your willpower to walk out of the library without anything. I just don't allow myself to go haha.

message 21: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Great job!! It feels so good to focus on owned titles. I don't have your willpower to walk out of the library without anything. I just don't allow myself to go haha."

Ha i'm definitely refraining from going for a while!

message 22: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments At 35 already and I wanted to be at 40 by August, really happy with my progress!

message 23: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Charlie wrote: "At 35 already and I wanted to be at 40 by August, really happy with my progress!"

Well done!!

message 24: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Thanks! I'm getting there, slowly but surely! I did get a new book out the library yesterday... I just really wanted to read it. I've been pretty good about staying away from the library this year so far though.

message 25: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Charlie wrote: "Thanks! I'm getting there, slowly but surely! I did get a new book out the library yesterday... I just really wanted to read it. I've been pretty good about staying away from the library this year ..."

That's fair enough! If you were doing the 3 for 1 mini challenge I'm doing you would definitely have earned a book from the library! :)

Barter Books on Saturday is gonna fudge my challenge a bit... Oops!

message 26: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Thanks! I'm getting there, slowly but surely! I did get a new book out the library yesterday... I just really wanted to read it. I've been pretty good about staying away from the li..."

Books from Barter don't count because if we use our credit they're free! I don't think I've got anything left to trade in after my big purge a few weeks ago. I've only got the ones they've previously rejected I think.

message 27: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I don't have any credit left! And nothing else I want to trade in! :( my friend Sam just moved to America, and she had a pile of dvds just going in the bin, and I forgot to take them to trade at Barter! Silly silly me.

message 28: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments oh no, that would have been a great idea! I wish i'd done that too actually when I got rid of loads of mine.

message 29: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I've reached my goal early! I wanted to read 40 books I own by the end of August and I've hit that today. Cancelling my Scribd subscription has definitely helped.

message 30: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Great job!

message 31: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments 60 by December here you come!!

Well done hun. :)

Look at how heavily you're leaning towards ebooks! I challenge you to read some more of your physical library! 👍😀

message 32: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Great job, Charlie!

message 33: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Thanks guys!

I'm definitely going to try and read more physical books too but there's so many on my kindle I really want to get through

message 34: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I feel your pain! I have so many awesome kindle books to read too.

message 35: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments My goal was to read 40 books I own by the end of August. It's only the start and I've already read 53 so I'm well on track!

message 36: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Wow go you! :D I reckon you'll easily hit 80 by December.

message 37: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I hope so!

message 38: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I wanted to hit 60 by December and I've just hit it!

message 39: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments That's great! Congrats! :) 🎊

message 40: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Woohoo well done hun! :D

message 41: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Congrats !!

message 42: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Thanks!! Now I can go to the library and borrow all the things!!

message 43: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments HA! Or you could read the other 800 you own! 🤣

message 44: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Spoilsport!

message 45: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I did get stressed out by this comment as well. *runs to go read instead of procrastinating on GR*

message 46: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Hehe XD

I really need to get off GR and read too...

message 47: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Woohoo, congrats!

message 48: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Thanks Virginie!

Goodreads locked me out earlier, said it was too busy. That's probably a sign!

message 49: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Haha, or it was just because we were all here, instead of reading and reducing out TBR-pile (again!) 😂

message 50: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments GR is definitely part of my problem!

« previous 1