What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer
This topic is about Martin Dressler
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy/Fiction - About a man who grows up in and (eventually runs) a strange hotel. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stanley (last edited Jan 03, 2018 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stanley | 2 comments Fantasy/Fiction - About a man who grows up in and (eventually runs) a strange hotel/skyscraper that is under continual construction

From what I can remember, takes place in the early 1900s or late 1800s, Unites States (dense metropolitan area like New York or Chicago). Starts off about a boy who lives/works in a hotel, and as the story progresses he learns more about the going-ons of the business. The hotel also continues to be built higher and higher, and eventually each floor becomes a strange world in and of itself. He one day takes over as the owner of the hotel, and in slowly becomes more of an eccentric, just like the hotel itself. I want to say that the title included the name of the hotel, or of the family who owned it.

I read it in 2002ish. I recall the cover of the paperback edition at the time had a beige cover with a drawing of a ground floor of a skyscraper in that era. Read it for an college literature course. Not terribly long, couldn't have been more than 300 pages.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32111 comments Mod
Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser?

Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "fantasy" boy grows up "hotel" construction

Stanley | 2 comments Yes, thanks!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32111 comments Mod
Great! Glad you found your book, Stanley.