Play Book Tag discussion

January 2018: Science > Every Second Counts: The Extraordinary Race to Transplant the First Human Heart - Donald McRae - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 701 comments Every Second Counts is the story of the gripping race to conquer the greatest of medical challenges. It also reveals the truth about Dr Chris Barnard, the man at the centre of it all, whose turbulent life story was just as gripping. The kind of true story that would be dismissed as far-fetched if presented as fiction, it combines an utterly compelling portrait of cutting-edge science with raw human drama, and shows how the course of medicine itself was changed for ever.

This was a great book to start 2018 off! It doesn't go much into the science behind transplantation but rather focuses on the five leading doctors and the methods they pioneered during the race to do the first successful transplant.

As a recipient of a heart transplant, I found it interesting as although I am very grateful to Dr Barnard, I feel that Shumway & Lower should have been the doctors to have carried out the first operation as Dr Chris doesn't always come out favourably.

Trigger warnings for animal testing & death.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments So glad this one ended up being so good given your personal connection to the subject matter!! Sounds very worthwhile and fits the tag perfectly.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Sounds very interesting. Gotta love the narrative non-fiction!
I have always been told that my grandfather got one of the first pig valve transplants, but who knows what "one of the first" means.