Challenges from Exploding Steamboats discussion

Stina's Challenge 2018 > Summer Prompt: A book that became a movie

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 640 comments Mod
This was a summer-specific prompt last year, so I'll be saving it for my summer reading challenges starting sometime in May.

I have tons to choose from here. Perhaps I will finish My Cousin Rachel or Blade Runner. Or maybe I will track down Starship Troopers and see how the source material compares to its satirical movie version.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 144 comments Stina wrote: "This was a summer-specific prompt last year, so I'll be saving it for my summer reading challenges starting sometime in May.

I have tons to choose from here. Perhaps I will finish [book:My Cousin ..."

I *strongly* recommend Starship Troopers; doubly so since you've read the book. They're almost nothing alike. The movie version made me cringe. It could have been done so much better...

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 144 comments Annihilation. The movie, which came out this year, is actually based on the whole trilogy, but it shares the same title as the first book.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (6of8) | 233 comments Finished this one with John Grisham's Skipping Christmas. It was the basis for the movie Christmas With the Kranks.

message 5: by Stina (new)

I've actually not read Starship Troopers before. Or any Heinlein, for that matter. I'm not sure what I think of the movie. I don't remember much about it. But I like that the director purposefully treated it as satire when Heinlein had pretty much zero satirical intent.

message 6: by Stina (new)

It's been a few years since I read Annihilation. I appreciated enough about it that I'm interested in finishing the trilogy. The movie...it was just as freaky, but in some very different ways. I kinda wondered how they'd adapt that story, and, well, now I know. I think I liked the movie better.

message 7: by Stina (new)

I frickin' hated Skipping Christmas.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (6of8) | 233 comments Me too. I had to ask a friend to make me finish it before I could read anything else.

message 9: by c2 (new)

c2 cole (c2london) | 4 comments I read Heinlein in junior high and loved him but I don't know if I could take his writing style at this point. I loved Podkyne of Mars maybe because it was about a young girl. I've been meaning to reread that.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary Arkless | 149 comments I’ve just finished ‘Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children’. I saw the movie a couple of years ago with my kids. The movie is quite a lot like the book, but the ending is different. I don’t know if it is simply different, or if it drew from the two sequels to this book.

message 11: by Stina (new)

I read Howl's Moving Castle for this prompt as well as for The Book Was Better Book Club. And we watched the movie. The book was definitely better.