Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta Reader for Sci-Fi/fantasy/fiction - Closed for now

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 6 comments I love to read, especially fantasy, YA, sci-fi and fiction novels, for example Sarah J Maas, Brandon Sanderson, Trudi Canavan, Brent Weeks, Margaret Atwood, to give you an idea of the styles I like.

I'm happy to branch out into non-fiction, if you require a reader who is not versed in a topic to see if it is understandable.

I will give thorough and constructive feedback on your work, including storyline, plot, world-building, character development and character interaction, as well as narrative style and voice (where there are issues/contradictions). I'm happy to only focus on one part if that is what you require, and will highlight any grammar issues, if that is welcome (I realise it might not be if the book will still go to an editor after).

If you're looking for feedback on something I haven't listed here, please ask, as I may still be able to help (I'll be honest if I can't).

Thanks for looking!
Nathalie

message 2: by Carl (new)

Carl | 4 comments Hi Nathalie,

I've got a 100k, SFF novel that is looking for feedback. It is darkly humorous, based on the premise, what if Sod, of Sod's Law fame, were a real man. I'm in the last couple of days of editing and will provide you with whatever format suits you best. My email is geds40@yahoo.com. Many thanks for the offer and your consideration.

message 3: by Lilli (new)

Lilli Rose | 3 comments Hi!

My story is is YA/NA about a plane crash survivor who struggles to return to her everyday life. If you're interested, I could send you the first chapter? My email is lillianmasonodair@gmail.com

message 4: by Leli (new)

Leli | 1 comments ISO reader....The earth is nothing but a poisonous show of its former self. Form its war-beaten ashes, new societies and empires are reborn. Far removed from the gleaming skylines of Levem Teraam, the wanderers and religious tribes of Malkuth occupy the harsh deserts, foraging for whatever scraps of technology they can find to survive. Death comes to them from all sides, yet something much darker and much more sinister seems to be lurking beneath the sands, shrouded behind centuries of mystery: the being they call the Shadow Man.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 2 comments Check out my profile here:

Scott Spotson

I'm always re-editing my books and am re-editing two of them now. Let me know if any of them interest you. Of course, any manuscript is supplied for free.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Wilczak (jwilczak_author) | 7 comments Hey there, just say your post! I have a completed 18 chapter/100k word Epic Fantasy (with a romantic thread) that I'm looking for feedback on. Let me know if you are interested! Below is a synopsis:

Awakening is the initial gateway and foundation for the planet of Aaxym. The story revolves around a young man, named Aleric, and his journey of adventure, heroism and self, from his small village to the far reaches of his world. His life is disrupted by a corrupt king, driven by a darker entity that seeks to sway the balance of power in his favor. He is quickly accompanied by Rayne, a female tigris soldier, that defies her allegiances to align her cause with his. Together, they make their way north, to the Guardian of the Light, where the reality of their world starts to unfold.

Empowered, and reinforced with others, they make their way south to put a stop to the corruption that continues to spread across the land. With each passing day, the group encounters monsters, betrayal, and a variety of creatures that inhabit the world. They learn of the Brahms and their Dragoons, tasked with protecting the order and balance of their planet. Aleric realizes he is one of them and will need to leverage their power and abilities, along with all of Aaxym's strengths to overcome the darkness within.

As time progresses, Aleric learns that the world is far larger and less forgiving than he could have imagined. Even with his new found knowledge and the power of his team, he will be challenged with protecting those closest to him while trying to understand who he actually is. But, in the end, all of his strength and will may not be enough to overcome a corrupt Guardian and the darkest parts of himself.

message 7: by Stone (new)

Stone | 10 comments Hey Nathalie,
I am finishing up my first fantasy book. I just sent it to someone to read and am working with someone else for editing. It will go to an editor eventually but looking for input on the overall plot, characters, etc.
Once the first reader is done (and I have fixed anything that came up), I would love for you to read.

message 8: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Hall | 35 comments Hello there! Would you be interested in beta reading my SF/F book? It's 136k+. The book is titled Our Fate: The Warmaster’s Key. It’s Book One in a series currently under development. Here’s the gist of the book:

Cecelia, a mortal human of the Battle Fleet, fights for the safety and security of The 3rd Order. Countless dead litter the battlefield on both sides. Knee-deep in the rain, mud, and the blood, Cecelia encounters Warmaster Aldar, a god-like being who leads all armed forces of The Scorched Hand. Killing him can save her people and end a war that has ravaged the galactic slate for thousands of years.

Their epic battle is not only one of physical strength, but mental prowess. His attempts in probing her mind for her secrets are met only with disaster, shocking the immortal Warmaster. How can a mere mortal resist the power of a god? Cecelia proves herself to be a challenge unlike any the Warmaster has ever faced before.

During the struggle, Cecelia steals Aldar’s Override Signature Key, a valuable piece of technology with the power to alter the destiny of her crumbling empire and save her people from eternal destruction.

Unknown to Cecelia, however, she’s not the only one who has plans for The Warmaster’s Key.

A ruthless extremist, Kroeger, has his eyes set on revolution. He’s awaited an opportunity to bring down the tyrannical rule of The 3rd Order that has subjugated his race of paranormals for generations. He won’t allow anyone to stop him until his goal is achieved: Freedom for paranormals—whatever the cost.

A chance encounter or fate at work? Either way, Cecelia’s life changed forever the day she met Aldar. The attempts the Warmaster made to enter her mind unlocked a long-forgotten presence from the depths of Cecelia’s mind, who appears to her as a twelve-year-old version of herself and claims she is the manifestation of her subconsciousness. With enemies all around them, the pair must set aside their differences and work together if they’re to survive.

In war, the lines of allegiance often become obscured. The bonds of friends and family are tested. Sometimes, you can count on those closest to you to watch your back. Sometimes, you can’t. But, if you can’t trust yourself, who can you trust?

She will decide Our Fate.

Thanks for your time. You can reach me either on here or at hallasinhallway@yahoo.ca

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha | 78 comments I wondered if you might be interested in reading for me. My first book is YA fantasy, about 91K.

Ahjin wants to be an aerobat in his parents’ troupe, but his initiation into adulthood holds an unwelcome surprise. There seems to be no way out until a sudden disaster presents an opportunity.

Now all he and a few new friends have to do to earn his freedom is rescue the gods.

If they can even find them...

It does have a bit of social change, although perhaps not as much as your ideal.

I can send you PDF or Google Docs.

Let me know if you might be interested,
Martha

message 10: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 6 comments Hi All,

Thanks for your replies and interest.

I will contact you each directly via email to discuss further, or send a message on here if you didn't/would rather not provide an email address on a public forum.

I look forward to reading your works :)

Nathalie

message 11: by Niki (new)

Niki (nikipatel) | 32 comments Hi Nathalie,
Thank you for providing your time and willingness in making our work better.

How about beta-reading a short story?
Genre: Fantasy
Word Count: 3500
POV: 1st person; past tense
No sex; mention of kidnapping

Character based story (with a twist) told by a troubled father desperate to undo a ruinous curse and about his dealings with his wife, neighbor, and a Kite-maker's son.

If you are interested please email me at nppmail@yahoo.com
Niki

message 12: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 6 comments Scott wrote: "Check out my profile here:

Scott Spotson

I'm always re-editing my books and am re-editing two of them now. Let me know if any of them interest you. Of course, any manuscript is s..."

Hi Scott,
Please could you send me a message on here? I couldn't find a way to contact you directly.
Many thanks!
Nathalie

message 13: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 6 comments Martha wrote: "I wondered if you might be interested in reading for me. My first book is YA fantasy, about 91K.

Ahjin wants to be an aerobat in his parents’ troupe, but his initiation into adulthood holds an unw..."

Hi Martha,

that sounds very interesting! Would you be able to send me a message on here please?

Best wishes,

Nathalie

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 2 comments I'm reluctant to post my email address on public forums, but this should be do-able.

First you do author

Then the @ symbol

Then the ending scottspotson.com

Talk soon! I tried to contact you the very first time on your Goodreads profile, but the message says your profile is not set up to accept messages.

message 15: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 6 comments Scott wrote: "I'm reluctant to post my email address on public forums, but this should be do-able.

First you do author

Then the @ symbol

Then the ending scottspotson.com

Talk soon! I tried to contact you the..."

Hi Scott,
Yes I completely understand! I've actually changed my profile so anyone can send me messages since I posted the above, as this will make it much easier to communicate!
Let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll try your method!
Best wishes,
Nathalie

message 16: by Stella (new)

Stella | 5 comments Hi Nathalie,

I have a few chapters of a dark fantasy / YA story I'd love to get your feedback on. Please send me a message if you're interested and available!

Thanks,
Morgan

message 17: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 6 comments Hi All,

Thanks for your interest and messages.

As you may have noticed, I have closed this post now, since I've had a lot of you contact me, and there is only so much I can take on whilst not compromising on the time spent on each of your works.
If you have messaged me before this comment was posted, I will be in touch in the next few days.

Thanks again!
Best wishes,
Nathalie

message 18: by Lara (new)

Lara (gurlwhowrites) | 13 comments Hello Nathalie!

Hope this finds you well.
I have a YA sci/fi set in Toronto that you might be interested in.

The city is divided between the humans who live at its center and the Others who occupy the outskirts. The Others are dangerous, irrational beings, and reports of their attacks grow more frequent every day. Emilee is a communications agent just trying to get through her internship when she ends up wrapped in forces bigger than herself. What started as an investigation into who and what the Others really are ends up getting her tangled into carefully hidden plots and a disguised war that has been raging for years.

Excuse how rough the blurb is, I wrote it just now on my phone.
If this story interests you feel free to send me a pm for more info!