Lit Collective: An Online Reading Retreat discussion

2018 - War and Peace > Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 119 comments Mod
My edition - Oxford World's Classics, published 1998, translated by Louise and Aylmer Maude. 1344 pages, including Notes and Appendix. These will not be included in the reading schedule. I'm also not including the introduction.

January - Book One, Part One - pp 3 - 112
February - Book One, Part Two - pp 113 - 207
March - Book One, Part Three - pp 209 - 308
April - Book Two, Part One & Part Two - pp 311 - 441
May - Book Two, Part Three & Part Four - pp 443 - 570
June - Book Two, Part Five - pp 571 - 641
July - Book Three, Part One - pp 645 - 729
August - Book Three, Part Two - pp 731 - 877
September - Book Three, Part Three - pp 879 - 996
October - Book Four, Part One & Two - pp 999 - 1100
November - Book Four, Part Three & Four - pp 1101 - 1205
December - First & Second Epilogues - pp 1209 - 1315

message 2: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Pollard-Gott (fictional100) | 23 comments Thanks, Michelle! Great! I'm going to try the Briggs translation in the Penguin Deluxe Edition with maps, etc. but the Maudes translation is excellent. I loved their Anna Karenina, such lovely prose.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Lucy wrote: "Thanks, Michelle! Great! I'm going to try the Briggs translation in the Penguin Deluxe Edition with maps, etc. but the Maudes translation is excellent. I loved their Anna Karenina, such lovely prose."

You're welcome! I'm looking forward to being able to take my time with this one. :)

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (literaryfeline) This will be my third attempt to read it. Hopefully with your help I will succeed this time around! I am reading the Richard Pevear & ‎ Larissa Volokhonsky translation.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Wendy wrote: "This will be my third attempt to read it. Hopefully with your help I will succeed this time around! I am reading the Richard Pevear & ‎ Larissa Volokhonsky translation."

Awesome, Wendy! Thanks for joining us. :)

message 6: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I have a Random House edition that is newer and an older one from the few times I’ve tried to read this. I think this is a great idea though. This book is definitely on my bucket list of books I want to say I read 😊

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Darlene wrote: "I have a Random House edition that is newer and an older one from the few times I’ve tried to read this. I think this is a great idea though. This book is definitely on my bucket list of books I wa..."

Hope that means you'll be joining us, Darlene. :) This is definitely a bucket list book for me too.

message 8: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Oh I’m definitely joining in. 2018 is the year! Lol.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Darlene wrote: "Oh I’m definitely joining in. 2018 is the year! Lol."

Yay!

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1 comments I have 5 editions of this book. I noticed, that one edition skips the first 200 pages of another edition! Hope I can get through this book, this time around!

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Denise wrote: "I have 5 editions of this book. I noticed, that one edition skips the first 200 pages of another edition! Hope I can get through this book, this time around!"

That's weird! Thanks for joining us, Denise. I hope you can too. :)

message 12: by Gofita (new)

Gofita | 5 comments I just picked up the Briggs translation so I’m joining in!

message 13: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 4 comments I read this in high school during my year long Russian Masters obsession, but I scarcely remember it. I am going to try to read along with this one!

I already own a kindle version of the Maude translation.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Heather wrote: "I just picked up the Briggs translation so I’m joining in!"

Yay! Glad to have you with us.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Moonlight Reader wrote: "I read this in high school during my year long Russian Masters obsession, but I scarcely remember it. I am going to try to read along with this one!

I already own a kindle version of the Maude tra..."

Glad you're joining us!

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pandareader36) | 1 comments Just got a copy from the library. Going to set up a reading schedule so I can read this book before it's due back to the library