Team Hooman discussion

Book Talk and Recommendations > How do you ‘read’?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 5 comments There are multiple ways we can ‘read’ in this modern technology driven age.

Are you a paper stalwart? Do you use a Kindle or other eBook reader? Are you a fan of Audiobooks?

I can honestly say that I’m all three. I still love reading a real paper book, although I prefer paperbacks for day to day use, but I have a collection of special signed hardbacks too. I also love the flexibility of a Kindle, and being able to carry hundreds of books with me on holiday or for when i’m travelling.

I also love Audiobooks for those long car journeys. If i’m honest most of the books I get to ‘read’ are probably Audiobooks these days as I don’t get as much free time as I once did for actual reading!

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecita) | 105 comments Mod
Thanks for starting this discussion thread Jason! Yep, all three here. I don't have a long commute anymore but I still find time for audiobooks, especially when they're read by the author or have full cast recordings. I finally signed up for Audible this year so that I could listen to Ellen Kushner's Tremontaine series.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rawrgoesrach) Yayay for multi-faceted listeners! I fight with people all the time at my job that non paper books have their purpose.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason | 5 comments I fought against the idea of a Kindle (other ebook readers are of course available!) for years in favour of real books, but travelling to London by train fairly often, and living out of hotels for work soon convinced me otherwise.

I’ve been listening to Audible books for years too. I just plug my iPod in to the car and play from the Audible app.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 16 comments I tend to prefer paper books, but as others have said, there really is no replacement for a Kindle when you're traveling. When I served in the Peace Corps, there was no way I could have gotten my hands on as many books in country as were available through Amazon and my library when I did have the Internet!

I've tried SO hard to get into audiobooks - as a librarian, I feel like I should be able to make recommendations in this area. But I'm such a visual learner, it's so hard for me to focus on any audio for so long. Every time I've tried an audiobook (that wasn't something I could zone out on in parts, like a celeb bio), I've had to rewind segments constantly. Although I could listen to Neil Gaiman all day long.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tifft) | 5 comments I mostly read on Kindle/hoopla, due to having a toddler who will rip books apart the moment she seems them. I prefer paper books though, wandering half price books is a favorite pastime. as far as audiobooks, I've never tried!! in not in my car much since not commute is really short so it probably wouldn't work for me.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rawrgoesrach) Hello fellow librarian! Audiobooks are all about the narrator(s)! Jenny Lawson's books really got me into audiobooks. I really like nonfiction audiobooks, especially if read by the author (like memoirs and such). YA books are great because they tend to be more dramatic readings than adult fiction.

message 8: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 2 comments I loooooove my Kindle! I now use the Kindle app on my iPad but, my gen2 Kindle still works great. Although, I let my Mom use it, so I will never get it back, lol. I have often tried audio books but, I’m like you Heidi...I’m too much of a visual learner. I just can’t stay focused and find myself having listened for ten minutes without really having heard anything that was read to me. I can do it if I’m the passenger in a car on a long car trip...but, if I’m the driver...no way! I’m paying way to much attention to other things (which is probably a good thing, lol) to know what is happening with the audiobook. I still will read regular books every once in awhile, as my boyfriend’s a Mom likes to buy some hardbacks of certain authors and share with the family. So we usually end up with them last and get to keep the book(s) after we’re done reading. I do like to keep a “Library” still, even though I mainly use my Kindle...basically just a bookshelf of my favorites. Usually I try and get nice looking copies as well, to display. :)

message 9: by Jocelyn Hey (new)

Jocelyn Hey | 2 comments I switch back and forth between paper and digital, I use my library card frequently it has saved me so much money! I really enjoy audio books but it totally depends on the narrator.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Christiansen | 5 comments I tend to read via Kindle. If I have a long drive ahead, I will get a book on CD from the library and listen to it in the car.