Historical Romance Book Club discussion

A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
This topic is about A Kingdom of Dreams
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - A Kingdom of Dreams, 2018 RATA Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Al George (georgieme) Priya, Jan130, Ursula, Debby PR, Andrea CP and Ally are all in for a Buddy Read of Kingdom of Dreams. This fulfills the Scottish requirement for the Romance Across the Ages Challenge. Join us if you like!

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Reposting this from the other thread:

I've started! What a lovely book title! I'm reading the paperback that I bought years ago, and luckily I've forgotten most of it so it's nice and fresh. Sadly Judith McNaught is STILL NOT AVAILABLE TO AUSTRALIANS ON KINDLE! Ridiculous. (Gets down from soapbox). Luckily for me I have old PB copies of most of them.

I'm up to p.117 and so far really liking it! I'm reading slowly and savouring the details. I like how Royce and Jenny are slowly growing to respect each other and growing more attracted. I usually dislike instalust, and this one is (so far) a nice slow burn instead. Much more satisfying to have that build.

Buddy readers, how are you going with this one??

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments I'm up to Chapter 12/ page 177. I've just read the lovely section in Chapter 11 where the title of the book is explained. Very touching.

Al George (georgieme) I'm at page 79. I've got one word for you: Thor.

message 5: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Yes. I know.

Al George (georgieme) So, I'm at the 48% mark and things have slowed down just a bit. That said, Royce is about to meet with (view spoiler) so that means things will pick up again, right?

message 7: by Sha (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sha | 122 comments I'm late but in~

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Starting now.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I’m reading a “dead-tree” edition and I read through ch 6 on NY day.

Since I’m reading hard-copy, I can only read at home since I don’t want to carry that hardback book around.

message 10: by Sha (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sha | 122 comments This is the technically a re read for me but since I read it more than a decade ago it might as well be an initial read.

So many books so little time.

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Ally wrote: "I'm at page 79. I've got one word for you: Thor."

hahahaha my thoughts exactly

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments At Chapter 5 and was bummed because i was getting into the read...however grandbabes were calling my name.

message 13: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Sha wrote: "This is the technically a re read for me but since I read it more than a decade ago it might as well be an initial read.

So many books so little time."

Same for me Sha. I've forgotten most of it and enjoying the reread.

Ally I think I'm up to about the same spot as you. p212, in Chapter 13. I can't remember any of these plot twists from my last, long ago read. I'm still liking the characters and the story. Gnashing my teeth about about some of events that are taking place and the miscommunications. Also, Jenny is so young, and making (IMO) some poor decisions, probably due to her youth and lack of life experience.

message 14: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "At Chapter 5 and was bummed because i was getting into the read...however grandbabes were calling my name."

Haha Debby. Priorities! Grand babies must come first.

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Jan130 wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "At Chapter 5 and was bummed because i was getting into the read...however grandbabes were calling my name."

Haha Debby. Priorities! Grand babies must come first."

I know right. but I got back into the novel last night and boy I am really enjoying so far.

message 16: by Debby*BabyDee (last edited Jan 05, 2018 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Jan130 wrote: "Sha wrote: "This is the technically a re read for me but since I read it more than a decade ago it might as well be an initial read.

So many books so little time."

Same for me Sha. I've forgotte..."

Got to agree on assessment of Jenny...caught that early on. For someone so young, (view spoiler) she does profess a host of experience. hahaha

message 17: by Priya (last edited Jan 05, 2018 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: For someone so young, [ how can she be offering him advice on how to court someone when she hasn't even been courted herself...stuck in an Abbey (hide spoiler)] she does profess a host of experience. hahaha .."

I agree. (view spoiler)

I am at Chapter 8 and thus far the story is good. I laughed till my stomach hurt during those sewing sessions:) Jennifer is a strong woman and going to be a handful.

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Priya wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: For someone so young, [ how can she be offering him advice on how to court someone when she hasn't even been courted herself...stuck in an Abbey (hide spoiler)] she does ..."

It does have its comical moments...

message 19: by Missy (last edited Jan 05, 2018 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Missy | 1056 comments Jan130 wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 12/ page 177. I've just read the lovely section in Chapter 11 where the title of the book is explained. Very touching."

I like that about Judith McNaught's HR books. The book titles appears at least once or twice in the actual story. (I can only speak for her HR books since I haven't read her contemporary romance books yet).

message 20: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments I read her CRs years ago (when I was in full-on love McNaught phase) and I enjoyed them at the time. Quite different in feel of course, but they do have some similar elements, including the kind of touches you allude to.

I remember liking Paradise and Double Standards among others. Maybe I should do a reread and see how they stand up now.

Al George (georgieme) I think Jenny's age definitely comes out...she does things without thinking them through. Impetuous? Stubborn? But it seems like that is what Royce likes so much about her. Right? She's a determined little thing. You gotta give her that.

I'm not surprised that her father (view spoiler).

Back to reading.

message 22: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Ally wrote: "I think Jenny's age definitely comes out...she does things without thinking them through. Impetuous? Stubborn? But it seems like that is what Royce likes so much about her. Right? She's a determine..."

I think he also likes her courage. And she sees him as a real person, not just 'The Wolf', not just as someone potentially wild in bed, like other women have apparently seen him. She faces up to him, but can also see inside him to his inner tenderness and vulnerability.

Al George (georgieme) Jan130 wrote: "I think he also likes her courage. And she sees him as a real person, not just 'The Wolf', not just as someone potentially wild in bed, like other women have apparently seen him. She faces up to him, but can also see inside him to his inner tenderness and vulnerability. ."

Agreed. She treats him more fairly than most.

I'm at the 90% mark and (view spoiler)

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Ally wrote: "I think Jenny's age definitely comes out...she does things without thinking them through. Impetuous? Stubborn? But it seems like that is what Royce likes so much about her. Right? She's a determine..."

I'm with you on that steward just something about him just don't like.

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Jan130 wrote: "Ally wrote: "I think Jenny's age definitely comes out...she does things without thinking them through. Impetuous? Stubborn? But it seems like that is what Royce likes so much about her. Right? She'..."

Jan130 wrote: "Ally wrote: "I think Jenny's age definitely comes out...she does things without thinking them through. Impetuous? Stubborn? But it seems like that is what Royce likes so much about her. Right? She'..."

I have to agree also with you on your assessment. I think he likes seeing those qualities in her and her the gentle side of him. Not the typical docile woman and the hardened warrior when needed.

Al George (georgieme) Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I'm with you on that steward just something about him just don't like. "

I've finished the book so will spoiler everything.
(view spoiler)

Al George (georgieme) Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "JI have to agree also with you on your assessment. I think he likes seeing those qualities in her and her the gentle side of him. Not the typical docile woman and the hardened warrior when needed. "

(view spoiler)

Al George (georgieme) Ok, where's everyone else with this book?

message 29: by Sha (last edited Jan 07, 2018 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sha | 122 comments barely started. i knda miscalculated and i'm reading ten books at the same time... it may have been a little too much to bite off.

message 30: by Priya (last edited Jan 07, 2018 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Ally wrote: "Jan130 wrote: "I think he also likes her courage. And she sees him as a real person, not just 'The Wolf', not just as someone potentially wild in bed, like other women have apparently seen him. She..."

I finished reading and I didn't understand what really happened between William and Royce (view spoiler). The narration there was not quite clear to me.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Ally wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I'm with you on that steward just something about him just don't like. "

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly. (view spoiler)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I am done. I loved this book. Giving it 4 stars. I knocked off the 5 th star because of the (view spoiler)

Shannon | 348 comments This is one of my favorite books. I think I even have one of the original printings. I read this 25 years ago, and have read it multiple times since. Jennifer Merrick is a character that has lived in my heart forever (well since reading it of course)

I know this probably isn't the proper place, but I'm so glad I found this group. I've been looking so long for a HR book club.

Missy | 1056 comments This was my first book by Judith McNaught and I have loved her HR books ever since (except for Whitney, My Love, which was my second book by JM). I'm so glad Ally and Priya weren't disappointed in this book.

message 35: by Jan (last edited Jan 07, 2018 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Sha wrote: "barely started. i knda miscalculated and i'm reading ten books at the same time... it may have been a little too much to bite off."

Haha. I'm a bit like that too, with quite a few challenge books, BOTMs etc on my plate for January. I've knocked one off as a dnf (Yes, Mr. Van Der Wells), but still a few others I'm reading. So I haven't made any progress on this one for a couple of days. But I'm still liking it.

message 36: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Shannon wrote: "I know this probably isn't the proper place, but I'm so glad I found this group. I've been looking so long for a HR book club. "

Glad you've joined us Shannon. You're among friends here. I've gotten lots of great new HR recommendations via this group.

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Priya wrote: "Ally wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I'm with you on that steward just something about him just don't like. "

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly. [..."

Yes Priya totally agree with your spoiler

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Priya wrote: "Ally wrote: "Jan130 wrote: "I think he also likes her courage. And she sees him as a real person, not just 'The Wolf', not just as someone potentially wild in bed, like other women have apparently ..."

I got a bit lost with William and Royce too however (view spoiler) I'm thinking the father put him up to something because he was devious man.

message 39: by Debby*BabyDee (last edited Jan 09, 2018 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Im done and will be giving this one 4.5 stars because of all the respect given in the end to one another. Review to follow. Thanks for recommending this novel. Truly loved it.

Missy | 1056 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I got a bit lost with William and Royce too however (view spoiler) I'm thinking the father put him up to something because he was devious man."

That part was a bit confusing for me, too. I had to reread that scene just so I understand what happened.

message 41: by Sha (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sha | 122 comments I forgot how funny McNaught could be and I'm enjoying this so far~

Al George (georgieme) My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Things I liked:
-the story was pretty epic. While it did not span a huge amount of time, it took place in many different locales and we met many characters. Bonus points.
-I liked the dynamic between the MCs despite the constant push and pull and all the MUs.
-I liked that Jenny made Royce a slightly different man. He smiled more around her and was lighter. She lifted his load.
-I also liked that she was tough. She kept fighting no matter what.

Things I had a hard time with:
-Jenny was irritating at times as was Royce. She acted like the child she was and he acted like the big alpha meanie.
-(view spoiler)
-the steward. I still do not understand what he was doing in the story. Sure Royce and Jenny agreed that he had to go, so perhaps that was his value, but during the course of the story (view spoiler).
-The big MUs and all the little ones. They were so quick to judge each other, how was I supposed to buy their great love when they spent a huge part of the book thinking malicious things about the other?

I'm glad we read this together and I'm glad I had the challenge to encourage me to read it. Otherwise, I seriously doubt I would ever read this book. Not my cuppa in general, so the RATA did get me to reach for something new.

Thanks everyone! On to American Revolution.

message 43: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Ally wrote: "My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Things I liked:
-the story was pretty epic. While it did not span a huge amount of time, it took place in many different locales and we ..."

I'm not going to read your review yet till I've finished this myself. At the moment I'm finishing up the BOTM (The Heir) and will finish AKOD after that. I look forward to reading your review and spoilers then!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Jan130 wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 12/ page 177. I've just read the lovely section in Chapter 11 where the title of the book is explained. Very touching."

That is indeed very touching.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I just completed ch 13 where (view spoiler)

I really like Jenny and Royce.

Debby*BabyDee | 656 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I just completed ch 13 where [spoilers removed]

I really like Jenny and Royce."

Thought that too and indeed I did like the both of them.

message 47: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1960 comments Yes I like both MCs too. The name Jennifer has been around for quite a while, but at this time it may have been more like Guinevere perhaps? But still probably shortened to Jenny anyway. According to the internet, Jennifer is Cornish in origin and not common outside Cornwall till about a hundred years ago or so. Although I personally have an ancestor from Sunderland (northern England up towards Scottish border) whose name was Jennie and was born in the nineteenth century. Quite a ways from Cornwall.

It's part of a wider issue, really. How many HRs have we all read where the MCs have startlingly modern names? If the book's good, I try to ignore it. It can grate, however. But in this case I'm not too worried about it.

General comment about the book - I've picked it up again after a little break and am now up to Chapter 18. Some interesting plot twists. I'm intrigued to see what will happen next!

Al George (georgieme) Jan130 wrote: "Yes I like both MCs too. The name Jennifer has been around for quite a while, but at this time it may have been more like Guinevere perhaps? But still probably shortened to Jenny anyway. According ..."

I wonder if they pick these names to make it easier for us to read/remember?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Sha wrote: "barely started. i knda miscalculated and i'm reading ten books at the same time... it may have been a little too much to bite off."

I can relate Sha! 10 books at once has been my MO for the last couple of years. This year, I’m trying to turn over a new leaf and not be so frantic.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I just finished.

A solid 4-Stars

« previous 1