Book Snails Book Group discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
ARCHIVED > 2018 Yearly Read: "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
With 7 votes (22.6%) we will be reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. Will you be reading with us?

message 2: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments If I can get an ebook copy, I should be able to participate! Baby girl will be here in 15 days or less, so I’ve got tons of nighttime feedings ahead of me!!! That’s how I got into ebooks after I had my son!

Pien | 446 comments Nice! I’m in!
How many pages is it? A lot I guess...

Pien | 446 comments All the best wishes to you Erin, with your baby girl on the way!

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1184?...

Gutenberg has the ebook. Look at this link, calling me a stranger :-)

message 5: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Thanks Pien! I just visited my library site and found a kindle edition I could borrow, but I won’t finish before it will need to be renewed so I’ll keep that link in mind in case my library copy becomes unavailable!

Kelsey I might get around to it at some point, because I read it in high school and really enjoyed it, but I'm also reading another 1,000+ page book, so we'll see how that goes!

message 7: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Erin wrote: "If I can get an ebook copy, I should be able to participate! Baby girl will be here in 15 days or less, so I’ve got tons of nighttime feedings ahead of me!!! That’s how I got into ebooks after I ha..."

That sounds like peaceful reading time to me! ;-)

message 8: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Pien wrote: "Nice! I’m in!
How many pages is it? A lot I guess..."

Many, many pages...

message 9: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Kelsey wrote: "I might get around to it at some point, because I read it in high school and really enjoyed it, but I'm also reading another 1,000+ page book, so we'll see how that goes!"

Good luck with the other massive book, Kelsey ;-)

message 10: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1826 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "Pien wrote: "Nice! I’m in!
How many pages is it? A lot I guess..."

Many, many pages..."

The free Gutenberg press version that Pien listed earlier weighs in at ~1126 pages (non-illustrated ePub), and the Penguin Classics paperback is about 1275 pages.

Or you could cheat with the "illustrated classic" versions at 48 to 236 pages:
The Count of Monte Cristo (Classics Illustrated) by Alexandre Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo by Mitsu Yamamoto The Count of Monte Cristo by Steven Grant

I'm thinking maybe one of the graphic novel/ manga versions available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...
(I'm only half-kidding)

The Count of Monte Cristo (Manga) by Moriyama Ena

Sadly, I've not yet found a "coloring book" version, but those readers still stuck in shades of grey might enjoy the "erotic" version: Master: An Erotic Novel of the Count of Monte Cristo

message 11: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace I'd like to try reading this one. It's just a challenge to find an edition with legible typeface. Don't have great eyesight.

message 12: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa | 124 comments I am going to try this year to read this one. I have it on my nightstand.

message 13: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Jan 17, 2018 01:30AM) (new)

Grace wrote: "I'd like to try reading this one. It's just a challenge to find an edition with legible typeface. Don't have great eyesight."

If the Gutenberg versions (see Pien's post from January 3rd) are not good for your eyes, and you are looking for an eBook version, B&N and Amazon have several free versions you can try, and you should be able to adjust the font size.

B&N (Nook): https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/the+...

Amazon (Kindle): https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&...

There's also an "abridged" ebook version that weighs in (ha) at around 566 pages, about half the length of the full book. Just search for "the count of monte cristo abridged".

message 14: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace StarMan wrote: "Grace wrote: "I'd like to try reading this one. It's just a challenge to find an edition with legible typeface. Don't have great eyesight."

If the Gutenberg versions (see Pien's post from January ..."

Wow, thanks so much for the links, StarMan!

message 15: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Got through the first 2 chapters during the wee hour feedings of my new baby girl Hazel June. Obviously I’ve got a long way to go, but so far, so good!

message 16: by Just Elise (new) - added it

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments I was surprised to see this won - yay! I'll plan on joining. I've wanted to read it for a long time. I have a print copy in a box somewhere, but I've got the ebook from Gutenberg in case I don't find it reasonably soon.

message 17: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Has anyone read this, or started it? I’m not particularly knowledgeable about history or politics so I’m kinda struggling at this point. I’ll give it a few more nights of reading, but may need to abandon it. It’s no fun having to surf Google for history lessons and chapter summaries to make sense of what I’m reading...

message 18: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments I’ve started but not far yet. (Now at chapter 5) I was confused too, thought I read they were in Marseilles but then I thought it was Paris but then it was marseilles... But I like story so far. With your nights reading, you’re a lot further I guess!

message 19: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments I’ve started ch. 13 and so much of it after the first few chapters deals with politics and what happened with Napoléon Bonaparte’s exile and subsequent return which I really didn’t know anything about prior to this. I’m not loving it and wish the “story” part would pick back up...

message 20: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments Oh dear, this sounds like a tough cookie...

message 21: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new) - added it

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Oh man. This is gonna be an interesting one for sure!

message 22: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments Now the ‘political talk’ has started, I have a really hard time reading this one in English. I’m now waiting for the library to get it in Dutch. That means I should officially have finished it in nine weeks, and then it has to be returned to the library mine gets it from... 8-O

Well anyway, I’ll read at least part of it in Dutch, and after that I know if I want to continue this enormous epistle :-)

message 23: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Ch. 14 is when we finally get back to Dantès.

I’m somewhat struggling with the language of this one as well -though English is my only language :-P
I’ll chip away at it some more though while I wait for the next Aurora Teagarden ebook from my library...

message 24: by Just Elise (new) - added it

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Sounds like this one's a bit harder to get through in a foreign language than The Three Musketeers. I read a major part of that in the original French in high school. For French class, not out of masochism. That was my introduction to Dumas, and I've wanted to read more of his work ever since. Yeah, it's taken me this long to get around to it. :(

I appreciate the heads-up about the political details. I'll brace myself, and expect to do a lot of googling. I haven't started yet. :/

message 25: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments ‘For French class, not out of masochism’ LOL!

message 26: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma | 2 comments I’m reading this on Serial Reader and I’m finding it a really good way to break it down as it’s so big!

message 27: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Just finished Ch. 17 (only 100 more to go! Lol)
The Abbe Faria is awesome!
Though there are still parts where I kinda skim over some of the writing because I can’t make complete sense of the language, the story has definitely picked back up again.

message 28: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Just started Ch. 25
Don’t read until you reach that point...
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments Thanks for mentioning Serial Reader, Emma! That’s exactly what I was looking for!

message 30: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments Now at chapter 10, Reading in Dutch. Much better! :-) And enjoying the read a lot. Hopefully I’ll go a bit quicker now!

message 31: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments 26% Done
I’m definitely not enjoying it nearly as much as I did Gone with the Wind last year, but it’s ok.
I’m actually ready for another “break” though and wish my next Aurora Teagarden book would become available :-P
(or that I had an ebook copy of Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography because I’m LOVING that one).

message 32: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Emma wrote: "I’m reading this on Serial Reader and I’m finding it a really good way to break it down as it’s so big!"

I enjoy Serial Reader! It's perfect for the classics ;-)

message 33: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Anyone else making progress on this? I don’t hate it, but I’m really not into it :-/
28% finished

message 34: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments I’ve done 18%, and loving the story! I read it in very small parts though so I’m not going very fast... (busy times here)

message 35: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments Any further progress, Pien?
I’m at 31% and I’m basically reading without any comprehension whatsoever. I see the words, but my brain just doesn’t want to process them.
I really enjoyed the part where Dantès was in prison with the Abbe Faria but the story has just gone downhill for me from there.
I’m very close to giving up...

message 36: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Feb 21, 2018 10:24PM) (new)

I admit that I've not tackled this book yet. Congrats to anyone who is reading it already!

But for anyone who is struggling with the plot line, or fighting the Z-monster (sleep) while attempting to read it, here are some cheats aids:

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments Still reading, now at 24%. I still like the story but agree that it has been (far) more interesting. Too bad to hear you’re maybe done with the story, Erin. Hopefully it gets more exciting very soon! I’ll keep you updated on my progress!

message 38: by Erin (last edited Feb 22, 2018 08:42AM) (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments I think part of my problem is that I’m reading at night when I’m somewhat (if not very) tired. But that’s pretty much my only opportunity for reading at this time.

Part of the problem is also the crazy long sentences that can be hard to follow, for example:

“If a man had by unheard-of and excruciating tortures destroyed your father, your mother, your betrothed,—a being who, when torn from you, left a desolation, a wound that never closes, in your breast,—do you think the reparation that society gives you is sufficient when it interposes the knife of the guillotine between the base of the occiput and the trapezal muscles of the murderer, and allows him who has caused us years of moral sufferings to escape with a few moments of physical pain?”

(This one isn’t as bad as some, but I didn’t feel like putting in much of an effort to find an example.)

And of course, part of the problem is that I’m just not enjoying the story very much at this point.

I’ll be taking another break to read several other books I have lined up and I’ll revisit this in a couple weeks or so.

I’m definitely interested in your thoughts, Pien, especially if you surpass where I’ve gotten to.

message 39: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

Erin wrote: "IPart of the problem is also the crazy long sentences that can be hard to follow, for example:

“If a man had by unheard-of and excruciating tortures destroyed your father, your mother, your betrothed,—a being who, when torn from you, left a desolation, a wound that never closes, in your breast,—do you think the reparation that society gives you is sufficient when it interposes the knife of the guillotine between the base of the occiput and the trapezal muscles of the murderer, and allows him who has caused us years of moral sufferings to escape with a few moments of physical pain?”. ..."

wow. that's definitely not the kind of stuff I would like to read when brain-dead at end of day.

i guess back then, writers wouldn't have plainly said:

"If a man murdered your parents and wife, and caused you years of suffering, would his quick death by guillotine be true justice?"

message 40: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

Are any of you Snails attempting an AUDIO book read of this one? Here are a few free audio versions if anyone wants to try it that way:

(view spoiler)

Kelsey StarMan wrote: "Erin wrote: "IPart of the problem is also the crazy long sentences that can be hard to follow, for example:

“If a man had by unheard-of and excruciating tortures destroyed your father, your mother..."

Especially not when writers generally got paid by word back then :P thanks for the audio links though! I haven’t read this since I was 16, but I might try it on audio. I’ve never listened to an audio book before, and can barely pay attention to 15 minute podcasts but, we’ll see!

message 42: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Feb 22, 2018 09:31PM) (new)

Kelsey wrote: "StarMan wrote: "Especially not when writers generally got paid by word back then... I haven’t read this since I was 16, but I might try it on audio. I’ve never listened to an audio book before, and can barely pay attention to 15 minute podcasts but, we’ll see!..."

Paid by the word! Indeed.

According to https://www.readinglength.com/book/is..., the average reader (250 words per minute) will take about 26 hours to read The Count of Monte Cristo. (for fun, you can test your Snail reading speed at the site).

Audiobooks... Pick one with a narrator voice you like, so you can be lulled to sleep gently ;)

I've only tried one audiobook (a Nicholas Sparks one). The narrator was fine, but I kept wanting to speed it up by 2x.. but as I was listening to CDs on an old player, I had no such option. I gave up at about the 1/3 mark.

But I can see how some folks enjoy audiobooks... although I for one would not attempt to listen to one while driving.

message 43: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments I’m at 41% and enjoying the story. It’s definitely slow, compared to modern books, but I’m used to the pace now and almost feel like living in the past reading this. Although the writing is a bit slow (a lot of conversations that get away from the main story), it’s still quite adventurous.
I don’t know if I make it with my reading challenge this year though because I’m not getting to the other books. Reading a big novel like this is a challenge on its own though... :-)

message 44: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments I’m glad you’re enjoying it Pien!
I’ve got 5 ebooks checked out from the library that I need to get through before they go to the next person on the wait list so I won’t be getting back to this one for at least several weeks... though I’m not missing it :-P
I hope I don’t forget too much by the time I get around to it again though, if so, then I’ll probably just give up completely...

message 45: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin | 580 comments I tried picking this up again tonight and I just can’t.
I’m officially declaring it a DNF.
I just don’t see the point to (view spoiler)

message 46: by Pien (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien | 446 comments Hi Erin, too bad you didn’t get into it anymore. I have more time I think, which makes it easier to ‘accept’ the slower parts.
I still enjoy it, reading this opens a door to the past and I like watching everyone in there. And actually there is a lot going on!
It’s a very cynical story, and the writer had so much pleasure writing it. I just like being part of it.
I usually don’t like slow books...
I’m brainwashed, don’t you think?

message 47: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new) - added it

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
I actually haven't even started this yet. I should do that, huh?

Karol I previously read the Count of Monte Cristo and it did take me a long while to get through it. Parts of it I found most interesting. I always pictured the "count" looking like Johnny Depp.

Candace (candywilliams) | 417 comments Karol wrote: "I previously read the Count of Monte Cristo and it did take me a long while to get through it. Parts of it I found most interesting. I always pictured the "count" looking like Johnny Depp."

Johnny Depp! Good choice for the Count, at least back in the day. I am having a hard time putting this book down! I am loving it. It's been a long time since a book has kept me up 'til one o'clock in the morning, and I pick it up again with my first cuppa.

Candace (candywilliams) | 417 comments Wow! What. A. Story!

My review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

« previous 1