Sir Walter Scott Appreciation discussion

6 views
Archive 2018 > The Betrothed: Background and Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
This is the first of the two 'Tales of the Crusades' by Sir Walter Scott.
It is set in the Welsh Marches during the reign of Henry II, father of Richard the Lionheart and King John.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_M...

It was originally published along with the second tale, The Talisman, which was much better received.


message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Reading Schedule:
Week 1: chapter 1-8
Week 2: chapter 9-16
Week 3: chapter 17-24
Week 4: chapter 25-end


message 4: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 19 comments Wonderful! Thank you for planning it out, Tracey!


message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
I have started reading it already and finding it a fairly fast read once you get past the introduction.


message 6: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 19 comments Tracey wrote: "It was originally published along with the second tale, The Talisman, which was much better received."

I noticed that there are a "billion" editions of The Talisman....


message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Rosemarie wrote: "I have started reading it already and finding it a fairly fast read once you get past the introduction."

I didn't make much of the introduction and so didn't include it in the schedule. What did you think?


message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
It was a pretty meandering sort of introduction and not very relevant to the action in the novel.


message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Rosemarie wrote: "It was a pretty meandering sort of introduction and not very relevant to the action in the novel."

Agreed. I am not sure why it is even there as it adds nothing to the story.


back to top