Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Determination Lists - Archive > Ceelee's 2018 Determination Plus Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments 2018 Determination Plus Challenge

Let's do this again in 2018 together with one new addition. Have fun.

Books 1-10. Pick 10 books (audios, ebooks, whatever) that you either want to get off your To Be Read owned shelves or books you have been wanting to read for awhile and haven't.

The next 8 books is the Plus part of the challenge almost like a bonus. Below are the 8 categories you need to read a book for.

11. A new author's first book (could be also a new to you author that you haven't read before)

12. A book set in a different country than you live in.

13. A book that is a different genre than your usual reading books (whatever you normally don't read try something out of your comfort zone if you want)

14 & 15. Two books from a series you haven't completed yet (I'm sure we all have those, the books don't have to be the same series if you don't them to be)

16. A book that comes out in 2018.

17. A book that was recommended to you.

18. A book you meant to read in 2017 but never got around to it.

message 2: by Ceelee (last edited Feb 02, 2018 12:43PM) (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments My 10 Books:

1. January/February: Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King.

2. March: The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz. .

3. April: The English Wife by Lauren Willig

4. May: Purr M for Murder by T C Lotempio.

5. June: Cat Got Your Secrets. Julie Chase

6. July: The Woman In Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

7. August: Emma In The Night by Wendy Walker

8. September: The Golden Age of Murder: The Mystery of the Writers Who Invented the Modern Detective Story. by Martin Edwards

9. October: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

10 November/December: The Alienist by Caleb Carr

My Plus 8 Books

11. A new author's first book or a new to you author you haven't read before.

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.
Published 2017 and is the author''s debut novel

Scheduled to read in April.

12. A Book set in a different country than you live in.

The Black Tulip by Alexander Dumas.Set in the Dutch Republic.

Scheduled to read in May.

13. A book that is a different genre than your usual reading books.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Science fiction genre according to Goodreads book page.

Scheduled to read in June.

14. & 15 read two books from a series you haven't completed yet.

Book 1: Third Grave Dead Ahead Book 3 in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.

Scheduled to read in July.

Book 2: The Golden One, from the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.

Scheduled to read in August.

16. A book that came out in 2018.
The Woman in the Window by A J Finn

Scheduled to read in September.

17. A book that was recommended to you.
The Dog Who Rescued Cats: The True Story of Ginny by Philip Gonzales and Lenore Fleischer with an introduction by Cleveland Amory.

Scheduled to read in February/March.

18. A book you meant to read in 2017 but never got around to it.
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng.

Scheduled to read in October.

message 3: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments UPDATE: February 2 2018.

I am about 100 pages into Sleeping Beauties. Took about 60-70 pages to get into the creepy and I am now in freak-out creepdom and I like it! :) Looking forward to more! I had planned to finish it by the end of February but it might take a little longer than that but maybe i will surprise myself! It's a BIG book! I just hope i don't end up in the ER like I did with Peter Straub's Hellfire Club!

I had planned on assigning months to the Plus 8 also but the book recommended for me was a gift from a friend who raved about it and if I go in order it would be September when I read it and she is chomping at the bit for me to read it NOW so how can I refuse? I will take the others in order though!

message 4: by Ann (last edited Feb 03, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Ceelee
I am really looking forward to Sleeping Beauties, and it is a big-fat-book!! Good to know you were hooked in right away!
I like how you are managing your list with flexibility. One has to stay on the good side of friends who loan or gift books. Some of mine don't understand the challenge of fitting even just one more book in
😊.

message 5: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments Oops! I forgot to do a weekly update last week but there is not much tell. I got my tthird cold since December 29 and have been miserable all week. The only energy I have had is for watching TV with the Olympics and mindless entertainmentst like Celebrity Big Brother and The Bachelor. I don't have to concentrate too hard on those! So I have only progressed about 60 pages in Sleeping Beauties. I know the book is starting to get to me because when I see a moth I freak out!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Ceelee: I got some turns on audio loans from the library so didn't start Sleeping Beauties yet. Sixty pages in and freaked out.... good to know! Hope you feel better! Olympics watching is a good thing.

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3546 comments Feel better I need to get moving on my books so many are for review and none of my own

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments Well here it is April and I am only a little over halfway done with Sleeping Beauties! Sjeesh! I don't know why this is slow for me because I really like Stephen King's books and this is a good story and creepy too and I love creepy! The book is a little sad too, seeing all these women and girls, even babies being affected by the Aurora "sickness ". I am not giving up and will keep reading but I think I better start reading other books so I can make some progress in this challenge. So I will be starting The Dog Who Rescued Cats which is for the task to read a book recommended for you by someone with good taste. I think I have it scheduled for reading in October since it is he last predetermined task but I am doing it now so I can let my friend know what I think of it since she bought it for me! It is also fairly short and I *should* finish it rather quickly.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Ceelee - looks like you have them all neatly scheduled. I need to start listing some soon on my list.

message 10: by Ceelee (last edited Nov 24, 2018 11:17AM) (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments FINISHED BOOKS

3. Free Book Scheduled for March, 2018. THE SILENT CORNER by Dean Koontz,

The Silent Corner (Jane Hawk, #1) by Dean Koontz

I was a little disappointed and bored with the book. I couldn't really feel connected to Jane Hawk and it keeps me from liking the book without that connection, even if the writing is good, which it was. I gave it a 3.5 of 5 because I like the author.

11. An author's first book.
Eleanor Oliphant Is Perfectly Fine by Gail Honeyman

I absolutely loved this book! Eleanor is a perfectly delightful character who knows her own mind, has her own set of rules for living, goes her own way and does her own thing. She is a little culturally unaware and naive which makes for some hilarious moments in the story and she keeps herself protect and sweltered from having relationships with people at work or in her daily life. She is a little judgmental and keeps her distance. She also has a secret from her past that lies buried beneath the surface and influences her present life. I really enjoyed being with Eleanor as she makes her journey to solitary soul to a better adjusted and happier person. Wonderful story, has lot of heart with a real twist that you my or may not see coming.

17. Read a book someone recommended to you.

THE DOG WHO RESCUES CATS: THE TRUE STORY OF GINNY
by Philip Gonzales

The Dog Who Rescues Cats True Story of Ginny by Philip González

5 GR stars! Perfect for animal lovers!

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Ceelee were you ever able to get through Sleeping Beauties? It should count for two books for you!

message 12: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments Thanks for the reminder! I did finally finish it! Definitely a year long project for me! I did like it but it was too long!

message 13: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments Are we going to do the Determination Plus Challenge again for 2019? I hope so! If we do, hopefully I can keep up with it better. 2018 was just too much bad things happening and too much stress to do everything I wanted!

message 14: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3546 comments Yes, I'm still deciding on what the 19th addition would be. We decided to keep the top 10 the same and just add something new on bottom. I had talked with ann some ideas I had to pick between so once we decide before the end of the year I'm sure a new thread with be up again. I hope your 2019 will be a better year for you.

message 15: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments Thanks Donnajo! Looking forward to seeing the new challenge! Also thanks for the good wishes. I am hoping the same! Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2019 for you and everyone here!

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3546 comments Thank you.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Happy and Healthy 2019 to all too - thanks Ceelee!

message 18: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments I am looking forward to the 2019 Determination Challenge also. I gave 2018 a shot but didn't get as far as I would have liked. Thanks DJ and Ann for keeping it going.