Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

2018 January : Thomas Mann > Buddenbrooks: Part Two

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments We see the demise of the Elder Herr Buddenbrook and his son becomes head of the family. His sister, Tony (Antonie) is for me, the strongest character I and she has independence of mind that I believe was unusual at that time for a woman of the richer classes.

What are thoughts on Tony and feminism and attitudes at that time period?

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Jan 02, 2018 03:09PM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments The story is still before the Unification of Germany which occurred between 1850 and 1871 under Bismarck who was a Prussian statesman. Prussia and Austria were vying for control of the smaller independent states. I have posted this map of the time period covered in the book. If anyone has a better map please let me know.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter (slawophilist) | 9 comments In order to complement the background of the story you should be aware of the special character of the city of Lübeck (Mann's hometown) where story is set. It used to be the center of the Hanseatic League and was governed by rich merchants rather than noblemen like most of Germany. Citizens of Lübeck even today feel a stronger link with the other Hanseatic cities around the Baltic and Northern Sea thank with the rest of Germany and superior to the surrounding rather rural area.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Peter wrote: "In order to complement the background of the story you should be aware of the special character of the city of Lübeck (Mann's hometown) where story is set. It used to be the center of the Hanseatic..."

Thanks for that information Peter :)