Riveted Reading Challenge 2018 > Read a book with an interracial relationship

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
Read a book with an interracial relationship

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (readinthecorner) | 108 comments White Rabbit by Caleb Roehrig

This is certainly not a book that is relationship-focused, but Sebastian and Rufus qualify for this category. On a separate note, I'm going to recommend White Rabbit to every one of my teens who enjoyed One of Us Is Lying.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Melissa wrote: "White Rabbit by Caleb Roehrig

This is certainly not a book that is relationship-focused, but Sebastian and Rufus qualify for this category. On a separate note, I'm going to recommend [book:Whi..."

Oooo, the next time I'm in the mood for a thriller I know where to go! (I loved OoUIL!)

message 4: by Brandi Rae (last edited Jun 05, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Brandi Rae Fong (brandiraefong)
I went with Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy.

This was a great story of family, friends, and finding yourself among the changes and challenges of life.

Ramona Blue has always liked girls. That's never really been a question. However, when she starts to have feelings for a childhood friend--who happens to be a boy--the questions start rolling in. Julie Murphy has done a great job of being clear that Ramona is not being "cured" or "set straight" and that sexuality and attraction are fluid.

Where the story really shines though is through Ramona's relationships with her family and friends. They are all well developed characters who care about each other in their own imperfect ways. Her family faces challenges that are reflective of their lower socio-economic class situation (something not always seen in YA lit where the setting is a small coastal town and not an urban city).

I wish readers had gotten to know Freddie a bit more before Ramona started to have feelings for him, but at the same time, the feelings caught Ramona herself off guard.

Readers will root for Ramona and her friends and family.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Brandi Rae wrote: "
I went with Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy.

This was a great story of family, friends, and finding yourself among the changes and challenges of life.

Ramona Blue has always liked girls. That's nev..."

I love Julie Murphy :) She's a wonderful, well-thought out writer. I need to read this and take it off my TBR.