✨ Adults Who Read YA ✨ discussion

Riveted Reading Challenge 2018 > Read a book that has a person of color on the cover

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
Read a book that has a person of color on the cover

message 2: by Christina (new)

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

This is a book that has received a lot of hype. It's in all of the review journals, all over BookTube, and the author has been making the interview rounds on various networks. Needless to say, I was skeptic and set my expectations lower. The Belles , while by a different author, was receiving similar hype and really let me down (it had also been an anticipated read of 2018). All that said, this was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 (sitting snuggly at #2 next to City of Ghosts and Vengeful by Victoria Schwab). And MAN it did NOT disappoint. In fact, it won me over so much that it now sits right behind Harry Potter and A Darker Shade of Magic for favourite series. I went into this book blind and I recommend you do too (as it was fantastic that way), but if you really can't, my spoiler free review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (readinthecorner) | 108 comments The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton

The Belles was pretty okay overall, but the instagram I posted on our library's account was fantastically received! The cover is great (and looks even better when draped in a red garland) and the story has a strong idea behind it, but the delivery left something to be desired.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Melissa wrote: "The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton

The Belles was pretty okay overall, but the instagram I posted on our library's account was fantastically received! The cover is great (and looks ev..."

I agree with both of those statements. I got over 100 pages in before I was like "wait, why am I reading this?" I didn't like the main character and there's some stuff I'd have changed.