It Just Gets Stranger Book Club discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Woman in White > The test of time

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (mimihalley) | 84 comments Mod
Do you think that this book has stood the test of time? Or do you think that the women's roles are too unbelievable for this day and age? I was bothered a few times but then reminded myself of when it was written. Do you think the love story was very believable? The author certainly didn't dwell on it, and I found myself wondering what Laura Fairlie and Walter Hartright actually saw in each other. The book did keep me in suspense and kept me reading more, and it did make me laugh a few times. I've read it more than once now, so perhaps that is the sign of a book that still appeals to current audiences. What do you think?

Sarah | 5 comments The format of the story as if the audience is the jury is makes this story timeless to me. While there were differences in that society to our own, I don't find those differences so difficult to relate to. Since reading this story again, I've began to notice various aspects of these characters in the people around me though not to that extreme. The rules of society may change, but needs and wants of basic human nature stay the same throughout time.

Michelle (mimihalley) | 84 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "The format of the story as if the audience is the jury is makes this story timeless to me. While there were differences in that society to our own, I don't find those differences so difficult to re..."

I agree with you. "The rules of society may change, but needs and wants of basic human nature stay the same throughout time."

message 4: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. (amyrose4801) | 40 comments Mod
I actually kind of appreciated how he didn't dwell on the details of their romance, it felt more real to me that way, for some reason. Especially because they never were allowed to act on any of it, so for both of them it was just an internal anguish that could never be expressed. I did worry, the first time I read it, about Walter not loving her anymore or being able to be with her anymore because she seemed so changed by her experiences, but thankfully Wilkie let her heal and come back to herself. Otherwise I would have been pretty devastated and angry at him, as an author!

message 5: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. (amyrose4801) | 40 comments Mod
I also think it is a bit timeless in how helpless we can sometimes feel in the circumstances we find ourselves. Obviously much of the details of this story would never happen anymore the way they did then, or at least in our society, maybe there are places in the world still like this. But even though the details may change, the feeling of being trapped by situations remains, and I think is probably timeless as long as there are those who are selfish, conniving, and /or manipulative.