Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Multiple languages

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments Should all two-language dictionaries be given this as edition language?

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments reminder

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13166 comments That's what I would do.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13662 comments Emily wrote: "That's what I would do."

Yes, so would I. The languages could be stated at the beginning of the description.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments OK. Thank you!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments lethe wrote: "Emily wrote: "That's what I would do."

Yes, so would I. The languages could be stated at the beginning of the description."

I had not thought of that, but have been putting the languages in the edition field.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13662 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I had not thought of that, but have been putting the languages in the edition field."

And I had not thought of that :-)

I am actually not sure what the preferred method is. I always assumed the description was the place for it, since we also note other things there (cover artists, ACE notes, exact listening times for audiobooks, etc.).

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41994 comments Mod
Languages do not belong in the edition field, but the description field is fine.

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 26, 2019 06:04PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments rivka wrote: "Languages do not belong in the edition field, but the description field is fine."

So if the book is the English/Spanish edition we should put that in the description rather than the edition field?

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23181 comments I always put it in the description field, just like lethe said, all the other things listed go there :)

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13662 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "So if the book is the English/Spanish edition we should put that in the description rather than the edition field?"

Ah, I finally understand where you're coming from.

I don't think you should look at it as *edition* information. A two-language dictionary, as in Halvor's question, will be the same two languages in any edition. So will, f.e., be an English/Spanish picture book, unless it is translated. But the language of the translation will not go in the edition field either.

Anything that is a specification of the information in the other fields can be noted in the description field. As mentioned above, exact listening time for audiobooks. Page count per volume for a multi-volume work. Contents of an omnibus or story collection/anthology. Etc.

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 27, 2019 12:34PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments I thought about my comments later having put them in this thread. I can quite agree about a bilingual dictionary, because there won't be editions of other languages for such a title. When I have put what I think is edition information in the edition field are for bilingual editions of a more general title.

I can't think of one just now, as it's been some time since I have encountered it, but I think the last one was a children's book that had single language editions and bilingual language editions. Obviously the single language edition would have that language in the language field, but "multiple" when the edition was bilingual and then, for example, "English/Spanish edition" in the edition field.