Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > 2018 Reading List ^Kat^

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (last edited Oct 24, 2018 10:46AM) (new)

Kat | 21 comments The 2018 List

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the titleThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list Grave Mercy
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards Before We Were Yours
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) Earth's End
5. A book about or inspired by real events The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom
6. A book originally written in a language other than English Anna Karenina
7. A gothic novel We Have Always Lived in the Castle
8. An "own voices" book* The Kite Runner
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
11. A literary fiction
12. A book set in Africa or South America
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire Fire Falling
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
16. A narrative nonfiction
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
18. A book with a location in the title
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
21. A book written in first person perspective
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
23. A medical or legal thriller
24. A book with a map
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
26. A book with a text only cover

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) Gather the Daughters
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water Water's Wrath
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
30. A short book
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
32. An alternate history book
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link)
35. A book featuring a murder The Last Namsara
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2)
38. A science book or a science fiction book
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link)
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
44. A ghost story
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air Air Awakens
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link)
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
52. A book published in 2018

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments Finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer by Mary Ann Shaffer for Week 1 on January 10, 2018. I had the opportunity to read this as an audio book which added a bit of humour and definition to the characters. I loved this book and I wished it went on forever.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments Finished Grave Mercy Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers by Robin LaFevers for Week 2 on January 15, 2018. I really enjoyed this book and the development of Ismae as a handmaiden of Death. Great, easy read.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments I got a little bit behind in this reading challenge, so I am trying to catch up to Week 19.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments I read The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom The Long Walk The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz by Slavomir Rawicz for Week 5. I loved the raw emotion that this book brought. It was truly a feat of strength to have endured what this man has endured.

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments I read The Kite Runner The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini for Week 8. I found many things in this novel disturbing, but it definitely transported you to what it would have been like in Afghanistan.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments I read Before We Were Yours Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate by Lisa Wingate for Week 3. I understand why this book was a winner at the Goodreads Choice Awards. This book was an amazing read!

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments I have a little bit of catching up to do in terms of posts.

I read Gather the Daughters Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed by Jennie Melamed for Week 27. It tells the tale of a society built after the proposed apocalypse, or so the ancesters claimed. This dystopian society has survived after generations with more survivors occasionally being found in the wastelands. Great, but hauntingly disturbing book.

I also read The Last NamsaraThe Last Namsara (Iskari, #1) by Kristen Ciccarelli by Kristen Ciccarelli. This book follows a dragon hunter and her search for who she is. This book was amazing with many twists and turns. I read this for Week 35 as it features many murders from dragons to the King.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat | 21 comments For week 7, I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson by Shirley Jackson. This genre is not one that I often read. I found this to be a very weird novel.