Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > What to do if ISBN has been marked as not a book, but it is a book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 11 comments The book in question is The New Yorker Book of Christmas Cartoons (which I can confirm is in fact a book because I had a copy in my hands a few days ago). Not finding it on goodreads, I tried to add it using info from the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Yorker-Boo...

I got a message saying the book could not be added to the database because the ISBN had been marked as "not a book." Can this be undone? Thanks for any help.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jan 02, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

rivka | 42488 comments Mod
The ISBN in that Amazon listing appears to belong to a desk calendar. Those are not usually books by Goodreads standards.

Are you sure the ISBN of the edition you have is the same?

message 3: by Emily (last edited Jan 02, 2018 09:18AM) (new)

Emily | 11 comments Unfortunately, the copy I read is now in another state (I was traveling for the holidays). However, looking up the title on bookfinder, I see that every copy listed (including those from sellers other than Amazon) has 0975573810 as the ISBN, so I think this number is incorrectly linked with the desk calendar on goodreads (and perhaps Amazon too, because their book description seems to be describing a calendar).

Here's the bookfinder link --
https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...

-- But if this isn't proof enough, I'll double check an actual copy when I can.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Emily wrote: "I'll double check an actual copy when I can."

Please do. It was set as NOT A BOOK several years back, and was definitely listed here as a desk calendar at that time.

message 5: by Emily (last edited Apr 21, 2018 12:35PM) (new)

Emily | 11 comments Sorry for the delay, but I was finally reunited with the book. Here are pictures of the front and back. The ISBN is visible on the back. As you can see, it's a book, and not a desk calendar.

photo febmar2018 043_zpsevr3whfk.jpg

photo febmar2018 046_zpsq72vfw60.jpg

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Thanks for providing those! I have removed 0975573810 from our NOT A BOOK list, so you should now be able to add the book to the Goodreads database.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 11 comments Thank you, rivka!