Entrepreneur Book Club discussion

Past Books Discussion > High Performance Habits - January, 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Kerby (justinkerby) | 29 comments Mod
Post your thoughts on the book as you read, or once finished. What you learned, what you'll take from this book, anything that inspired you or intrigued you.

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam Lean (adamlean) | 5 comments Hey everyone! I'm about 20% done with the book. Has anyone else taken the assessment (high performance indicator) yet?

message 3: by Justin (new)

Adam wrote: "Hey everyone! I'm about 20% done with the book. Has anyone else taken the assessment (high performance indicator) yet?"

Hi Adam! I took the assessment and found it useful. It let me know which parts of the book I should REALLY focus in on, in areas where my score was lower. Did you take the test?

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Lean (adamlean) | 5 comments
Hi Adam! I took the assessment and found it useful. It let me k..."

Hey Justin! Yes, I did take the test. I agree that it helped me figure out which parts of the book I should focus the most on.

I like the book so far but I feel like I am drinking out of a firehose. He's included a lot of tactics and techniques that it really makes you wonder if ANYONE does all of this all the time. He sort of has the 'Tim Ferriss' vibe where you almost have to be super-human to follow the 'plan'.

However, I will say that I've already adopted a few of the strategies (e.g. release tension and set intention) and it really does help.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Adam wrote: "

Hey Justin! Yes, I did take the test. I agree that it helped me figure out which parts of the book I should focus the most on.
..."

I'm feeling the same way. It's a lot. I'm almost finished, and I'm convinced that to implement everything would be almost impossible. That being said, I've also started adding some of the strategies into my daily routine. I'm really enjoying setting triggers throughout my day that remind me to up my energy. Transitioning with intention like you mentioned is another one I'm really liking.

Will be interesting to see what sticks a few weeks after completing the book.

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam Lean (adamlean) | 5 comments Justin wrote: "Adam wrote: "

Hey Justin! Yes, I did take the test. I agree that it helped me figure out which parts of the book I should focus ..."

Totally agree. I am really enjoying the book so far. I do appreciate that he backs up pretty much everything with research and fact rather than simply one persons' perspective on things.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Lean (adamlean) | 5 comments I just finished this book this morning. Here's my thoughts:

Overall, I liked the 'message' of what the book was trying to convey: We've studied other high performers and here's six things that they do. If you do them as well you can become a high performer.

My only concern, as mentioned earlier, is that the 'message' sometimes gets lost in the endless list of tactics and strategies and practice habits that the author says we should do on our path to becoming a high performer. Can one really do everything he suggests? Does the author himself do everything he suggests?

But, then again, a book like this should have tactics and strategies in order to be effective - the world doesn't necessarily need another 'theoretical book' that really can't be applied.

I did take a lot of notes and did highlight a ton in this book that I want to be able to reference later. I guess this is a good sign.

The book did help me see things about myself that I hadn't noticed before and it put a giant spotlight on some of the things that I need to work on to be more of a high performer.

Overall, I'm glad I read the book and I would recommend it to someone else.

message 8: by Justin (last edited Feb 02, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

I liked this book and would definitely recommend it to anyone new to topics like this who want to improve their habits. If you're a seasoned self-helper, you've probably heard some of the thoughts in this book.

For me, I took a few things with me after putting the book down. First, I really like the author's idea about setting triggers throughout the day. Reminding yourself to bring the joy in different situations where you might otherwise be on auto-pilot is a great recommendation in my mind. I also really like his notion of focusing intensely on whatever is your thing. If you want to become a writer, spend 60% of your time writing. I loved the quote, "the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."

I also really enjoyed reading about habit number two, "create energy". Energy, in my mind, is so important to becoming successful, and I love reading about strategies to increase energy. Habit #2 was definitely my favorite.

Things I didn't like: the retargeting ads following me around the web after I purchased the book, the constant touchpoints from the author after I purchased the book encouraging me to get a free copy for myself, and the push to join his school. I think that the book itself offers decent insights into becoming successful by implementing better habits, but it's also a sales pitch.

Favorite quote: Don’t let your emotions dictate how you feel - choose how you feel and choose your emotions.