Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions about Life and Sexuality
This topic is about Love Thy Body
The Cafe - Open Discussion > Transexualism is a religion (metaphysical at heart)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned | 206 comments First, I came to this realization, or at least firmed it up, by reading Nancy Pearcey's new book Love Thy Body which released today. I encourage apologetics students to get it. Many keen insights about secular body/person dualism lie within. Following is a quote from my review:

Christians are often accused, in knee-jerk fashion, of “irrationally” introducing religion (metaphysics) into moral questions such as transgenderism, a.k.a. “imposing religious views.” However, it does not take a great deal of reflection to realize that the science of biology (reality) agrees with the Christian view. A person’s sex is an undeniable, objective, biological fact all the way down to the cellular level, as a recent controversial TED Talk attests. It is in fact the secularist who seeks to introduce religion or metaphysics to the question by insisting that “personhood” (whatever sex an individual wants to “identify” as at any given moment) trumps biological fact. The secularist has often trumpeted, loudly and belligerently, his allegiance to science and reason, while accusing the Christian of superstition. But we see that this is a mere caricature. The transgender apologist downplays and ignores objective reality to prefer subjective spiritualism, AND seeks to IMPOSE that view on all others. So, the secularist, in this instance, is guilty of the very thing of which he accuses others. (Forgive me for using broad nomenclature here, I know that not all secularists are on board with the anti-science transgender movement.)

message 2: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned | 206 comments "Every cell has a sex" (TED Talk)

You might want to just skip to the 3:00 minute mark.

https://www.ted.com/talks/paula_johns...

message 3: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned | 206 comments Gen 1:27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. (NASB)

message 4: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle This oughta be good. I adore Nancy.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Ned - as a biologist, I concur with Ted that every cell is either XX or XY in a normal, nonmutated individual making them undeniably male or female. However, heredity (nature) is only about 50% of the individual's walk around persona. The other half is composed of the environment (nurture) he/she inhabits from even before birth. When a child is not considered a gift from God, all manner of unhealthy coping mechanisms surface including sexual. This, of course, is just part of the cross they bear. Turning to Jesus entails struggles for all of us sinners, but extreme difficulties for the sexually challenged. The secular outlook merely overlooks idolatry which is precisely what sexual deviancy trumpets.

message 6: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned | 206 comments "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." 1 Cor 10:13

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Ned - your Bible verse is apropos; I just thought I'd give a slightly more detailed explanation to the problem illuminated by this topic.