NHCPL Reads discussion

What Are You Reading? > 2018: What Are You Reading This Year?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Hanover (new)

New Hanover County Public Library | 42 comments Mod
It's 2018! Share the books you read this year.

message 2: by beep (last edited Jan 12, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

beep boop (beeeeeeeeeeep) I'm reading Children of the New World, a collection of short stories about our evolving relationship with technology. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the show Black Mirror.

message 3: by Carla (last edited Jan 16, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Carla (writeon1913) I spent the weekend with my nose in several books. I had a YA reading blitz with Kathryn Erskine's Mockingbird, E.E. Charlton-Trujillo's Fat Angie, and an advanced reader copy of Nikki Grimes' Between the Lines.

I thoroughly enjoyed them all, but Mockingbird and Between the Lines stayed with me for several hours after I finished reading.

message 4: by Patricia (last edited Jan 22, 2018 12:19PM) (new)

Patricia | 20 comments I'm working through a manga series recommended by a friend: One-Punch Man, Vol. 1 It's got some inside jokes about manga themselves but is also just an ironic take on superheros in general. I mean, wouldn't you be bored if every bad-guy-monster you defeated in just one punch?

message 5: by Carla (new)

Carla (writeon1913) I've been reading a lot more juvenile and young adult fiction this year so far. I've read the first three books of Jason Reynolds' Track series: Ghost, Patina, and Sunny. I've enjoyed getting to know these kids and learning a lot more about track and field.

I came across Judith Keim on Amazon and just finished the second book in her Fat Fridays series. Looking forward to reading the 3rd book when it comes out in 2 weeks.

message 6: by Annice (new)

Annice (asevett) | 37 comments I just finished The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer. I loved The Interestings by her and this one was another one I couldn't put down. The book follows a woman, Greer, throughout the course of her early life and brings in chapters from those closest to her. I highly recommend it.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 20 comments For fans of the Little House on the Prairie books: I'm enjoying The World of Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Frontier Landscapes that Inspired the Little House Books as a history, a travel guide, a nature guide, and a remembrance of the Little House books. Many good things for many people - even if you haven't read the Little House books.