January 2018 - Bangladesh > Second Part - Up to July

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
Midway point - thoughts?

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
The book has really enchanted me now. It’s harsh but I like the moments between the characters and how the war has become part of the landscape. For a first novel, this is really good.

message 3: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 51 comments I agree with you, Melanie. The novel engulfs you like an enchanted forrest (sorry, poor imagery on my part). I like the fragmented way the story, mirroring the fragmentation of the country.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Tomlin (purplegerberas) | 5 comments I’m enjoying it but struggling with Rehana. I can’t decide if she is just very passive or naive. I feel she’s willingly doing whatever her children ask without question or concern of the danger.

I don’t feel it comes across that she feels passionately driven to support their cause and I’m left feeling that she is very passive. I don’t feel there is much depth to her.

message 5: by Keriann (new)

Keriann (kad123) I'm finding Rehana very annoying, she just seems to give into everything! I really don't like her and her stealing off the blind man! I can see some sort of romantic relationship forming between her and the major.

message 6: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin I enjoyed this next section much more than the first. There are still some flashbacks, but they are better embedded in the storyline. I have to agree on having a rough time with Rehana and also cannot decide if she is naive or passive or both.

message 7: by Emmy B (new)

Emmy B | 8 comments I can't say I had problems with following the story at the beginning but I didn't know what to think about any of the characters. And now, at the moment I am feeling sorry for Rehana. Looking forward to reading the rest of the book. I'm still very glad we are reading this book. :)

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace | 53 comments I think Anam shows how war divides and Rehana is often caught in the middle. Nothing is so black and white an issue for her. I don’t blame Rehana for helping her kids, I’m not sure I could have said No to either of them either. Especially given she had to temporarily give them away after she lost her husband. She carries around so many emotions and guilt! Having gotten through so much struggle, I am proud of her continuing to fight and live. She is a survivor.
Yes still really enjoying this book if not more than the first part! as the pages go by more of the past is revealed and new connections and events occur.