Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Danielle - 2018 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Oct 04, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Progress: 10/52 = 19.23%

This is my first time competing in the challenge. I started the year slower than I wanted to, but I'm working to get back on track. I'm also switching gears. I was going to try to read as many books off my TBR pile as possible, but now I'm focusing on books from the Great American Read and fitting in other books as I can. Happy reading!

The 2018 List

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link)
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
5. A book about or inspired by real events
6. A book originally written in a language other than English
7. A gothic novel
8. An "own voices" book*
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) The Outsiders 9/19/18
11. A literary fiction
12. A book set in Africa or South America
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) The Scarlet Letter 1/26/18
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure The Book Thief 9/4/18
16. A narrative nonfiction
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
18. A book with a location in the title
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
21. A book written in first person perspective Invisible Man 9/23/18
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
23. A medical or legal thriller
24. A book with a map
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
26. A book with a text only cover The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box / Timepiece / The Letter 1/2/18

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water Dune 10/2/18
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
30. A short book
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
32. An alternate history book
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link)
35. A book featuring a murder The Pecan Man 7/26/18
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before Planet of the Apes Omnibus 1 1/5/18
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2)
38. A science book or a science fiction book
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 10/4/18
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link)
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
44. A ghost story A Christmas Carol 1/7/18
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link)
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
52. A book published in 2018

List created by the group members, after suggestions and votes. Thanks to all!

*an own voice novel is a book about marginalised protagonists (by ethnic group, religion, sexual orientation, mental illness, etc) written by an author who shares that same identity.

message 2: by Danielle (last edited Sep 04, 2018 08:18PM) (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #26: A book with a text only cover
The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box / Timepiece / The Letter
Completed: 1/2/18

I read this every Christmas time, but got started late this year. It is such a joyful story and helps me to get into, or this year, stay in the Christmas spirit. It's particularly meaningful to me because I was gifted this book several years ago by my grandpa along with a homemade Christmas box that he carved.

Rating: 5/5 stars

Completed 1/52 books (1.92%)

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Sep 04, 2018 08:18PM) (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
Planet of the Apes Omnibus 1
Completed: 1/5/18

This book was a very fun read for me. I really enjoy the Planet of the Apes movies and the way they are able to weave different social issues into the story. I found this book at a used book store and had to get it. It is very similar to the movies that it covers, but was a fun read. I can't wait to read more of them!

Rating: 4/5

Completed 2/52 books (3.85%)

message 4: by Danielle (last edited Sep 04, 2018 08:19PM) (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #44. A ghost story
A Christmas Carol
Completed: 1/7/18

I've read this a few times and it was nice to reread it again this year. It was particularly fun to discuss how the book compared to various movie editions of this book.

Rating: 5/5

Completed 3/52 books (5.77%)

message 5: by Danielle (last edited Sep 04, 2018 08:20PM) (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
The Scarlet Letter
Completed 1/26/18

I wasn't sure what to expect for this book. I never got around to reading it before and was worried that it wouldn't be as good as everyone claimed. After reading a few negative reviews as I started, I was even more nervous. However, I really liked it. I was hooked in right away and wanted to keep reading to watch the story unfold.

Ranking: 4/5

Completed 4/52 books (7.69%)

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Sep 04, 2018 08:21PM) (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #35. A book featuring a murder
The Pecan Man

This was a book for my library's monthly book club and I decided to join in. I didn't know anything about the book before picking it up. It's not my typical style of book, but I thought the characters were interesting and I found this to be a very likeable read.

Rating: 3/5

Completed 5/52 books (9.62%)

message 7: by Danielle (last edited Sep 05, 2018 09:30PM) (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
The Book Thief
Completed: 9/4/18
Great American Read

This book is unique because Death is the narrator and there are many little thoughts/descriptions/inserts added in the middle of the pages.

I strongly disliked this book when I first started reading it. I did not like the prose or the constant focus on colors. I enjoyed the book more and more as it went on. It's not my favorite book, but I am glad I stick with it to finish it!

Rating: 3/5

Completed 6/52 books (11.54%)

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
The Outsiders
Completed: 9/19/19
The Great American Read

I really enjoyed the this book! I sat downbeat in el afternoon to read it and didn't put it down until I was done. It isn't probably one of the more simple books on the Great American Read book, but that's part of being the debut book written by a 15/16 year old.

I really enjoyed the characters in this book and felt that you got a good sense of who they were throughout the story. Overall, it was an enjoyable, quick read.

Rating: 5/5

Completed 7/52 books (13.46%)

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #21. A book written in first person perspective
Invisible Man
Completed: 9/23/18
The Great American Read

I was not a fan of this book. The first 100+ pages seemed like an attempt for the author to say, "Hey! Look at me! I AM smart!" I don't mind when books use more complex language, but I did not like that it did little to continue the plot of the story and bored the audience. Although it got a little better and more focused on the story as the novel went on, I would have quit this one a long time ago if I wasn't trying to read all of the Great American Read books.

Rating: 1/5

Completed 8/52 books (15.38%)

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Dune
Completed: 10/2/18
The Great American Read

The topic of water, and especially the lack of water, is very important in this novel. I thought it was a really enjoyable book. The world was well-developed and the plot was interesting. My only complaint was that the middle was a little slow paced compared to how quickly the book ended and it didn't seem like everything was wrapped up as well as it could have been. With that being said, I'm sure the other books in the series help move along and end the story more thoroughly.

Rating: 4/5

Completed 9/52 books (17.31%)

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 19 comments Topic #39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Completed: 10/4/18
The Great American Read

I thought this was a very well-written book. I've worked with people with disabilities for the last several years and I think h did a great job of portraying a character with autism I. A thorough and respectful way. It was also a fun and interesting story.

Rating 4/5

Completed 10/52 books (19.23%)