What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mr. Phillips
This topic is about Mr. Phillips
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. One day of a middle age English accountant. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rita (new)

Rita Deak (ritadeak) | 2 comments Hi everyone, been trying to find this book for years. The main character is an average type of guy, a middle aged accountant with a wife and no children, the story is about the day when he gets fired. I'm not sure what genre would be appropriate, I've found the style very moving and entertaining, introducing the main character's personality nicely.
About the plot (as much as I remember): He wakes up in the morning and goes to work, only to find out he doesn't have a job anymore. He's not ready to share the news with his wife so he gets on a bus (as I remember its a double decker, guessing the story placed in London) and travels around aimlessly, thinking about his life, watching the people around him and such. Can't remember if he would have some sort of adventure, he might meet someone and make friends with, and can't really remember much of the ending,
I bought the paperback as a gift on the Falkland Islands about 10 years ago, I would guess the book was written in the past 15-20 years, any suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thank you :)

message 2: by Ayshe (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:11AM) (new)

message 3: by Rita (new)

Rita Deak (ritadeak) | 2 comments Ayshe wrote: "Mr Phillips by John Lanchester maybe?"It is!!! Thank you so much, happy new year! :)

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4129 comments Great, you're welcome. Happy New Year to you, too!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mr Phillips (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Lanchester (other topics)