Read Scotland 2018 discussion

Robert Burns: 6-10 Books > Alexandra'a Scottish reading quest

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 9 comments I am joining in again this year.. only read 2 Scottish books last year which was abysmal! We are having a flying visit to Scotland in July this year for a week ... so I will definitely be reading more books on Scotland to whet my appetite... we are also visiting France for 3 weeks so much of my reading was French related in 2017...

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 9 comments My first Scottish reading finish of the year... Green are my Mountains by Christine Marion Fraser. The last in her memoirs... I think I read it years ago but couldn't quite remember. Loved her books and read them all in my 20's.

message 3: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 9 comments Second book of the year - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. Set in Glasgow. Really enjoyed this little ditty of a tale. The characters grow on you.

message 4: by Alexandra (last edited Mar 14, 2018 03:30PM) (new)

Alexandra | 9 comments 3rd book for the year - Mrs M by Luke Slattery. Story set both in Mull and Ulva as well as the colony of New South Wales. A historical fiction book about Governor Macquarie and his wife Elizabeth who spent 11 years in the colony. Governor Macquarie often made bold and radical decisions. He wanted the colony to be more than just a prison, he believed that pardoned convicts could make worthwhile contributions to the development of the society, once gaining their 'freedom' they would help to build a new world. Macquarie was much maligned during his last 2 years of life as a report on the colony ridiculed his endeavours. A sad story in the end for Macquarie who was progressive in his vision.
A very good rendering of the historical fact, swathed in a fictional story of their lives together and a romantic liaison for Elizabeth with a convict architect.
I really enjoyed this one but I think it helped that I had studied convict history at Uni.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Alexandra wrote: "3rd book for the year - Mrs M by Luke Slattery. Story set both in Mull and Ulva as well as the colony of New South Wales. A historical fiction book about Governor Macquarie and his wife Elizabeth w..."

Sounds interesting, Alexandra. I love historical fiction woven around true events.

message 6: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
PS: Just seen you've read Eleanor Oliphant, if you want to join in our group read discussions, you're more than welcome. No pressure either way :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 9 comments Ellen wrote: "PS: Just seen you've read Eleanor Oliphant, if you want to join in our group read discussions, you're more than welcome. No pressure either way :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Thanks I will pop over and see if I can contribute anything.

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 9 comments I'm currently reading Now we shall be entirely free by Andrew Miller. Partly set in the Hebrides (just getting to that bit now)... if I finish this before the end of the year that will bring my total up to 4! Bit pitiful really and I must try harder next year...

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 9 comments Total for 2018 is five books... got in a couple over the Christmas break! Will do better this year. 🤪