WoTaLong (Wheel of Time Readalong) discussion

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
This topic is about The Eye of the World
The Eye of the World > Jan Week 1: Chapters 1-13 Spoiler Discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (last edited Jan 03, 2018 04:04PM) (new) - added it

Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (bedtimebookworm) | 124 comments Mod
Remember these are spoilery discussions - so stay away unless you've finished this section! Also, please keep spoilers to the things we know in this section of the book.

I'm splitting this book up into four sections for discussion. As we go along (and the books gets longer :P ), we may split into smaller sections for discussion. I thought starting with four was a nice number to correspond roughly with weeks in the month. January this year technically is more like 4.5 weeks, but that just means you'll finish ahead of time!

What are your thoughts on the first 13 chapters of the book?

Need a reminder? Here are the chapter summaries.

My favorite chapter: Chapter 5! Emond's Field is one of my favorite settings in this series anyway and in this chapter the plot really gets moving.

Happy reading!

Shannon (That's So Poe) (thatssopoe) | 37 comments I enjoyed the description of Emond's Field and all the townspeople. Sort of reminds me of the beginning of "Beauty and the Beast" and the provincial town. Cenn Bui is a favorite - so crotchety!

I thought it also was a good set of chapters to really set up Rand, Mat, and Perrin as *boys* rather than men - they all act like little kids.

Oooh yeah, I totally see the Beauty and the Beast comparison! Yes these boys are definitely BOYS at the beginning of the series, but it's so cool to see them grow. They all have great character arcs and grow so much throughout the series. Mat especially was a little rascal!

Sirbooksage | 1 comments The opening chapters here are a great setup to the characters and the story. Jordan takes a page out of Tolkien and gives us a look at the everyday life of these characters and Emond's Field before the events of the world intrude.

Lalita Dubois (lalitadubois) | 2 comments I love how Jordon put everyone in their place and started off in the first chapter with a Fade following him, it kept me on guard for anything suspicious that was gonna happen. I really liked the setting for The Two Rivers and I agree with how it was a good set up of Rand, Mat, and Perrin as boys rather than men. I really liked the last sentence in Chapter 13. "Welcome to Baerlon." it was showing how in just those first 13 chapters, they've already done much and how from simple village boys, they're seeing a city for the first time.

You're right Sirbooksage - there are a lot of Tolkien inspiration in this series!

Lalita - I loved the introduction of the Fade too. It was also really creepy to think about a dark figure that a handful of people had seen around town, especially in such a small town where everyone knows each other. How creepy would that feel! And Baerlon is still on the small side of some of the cities these boys will encounter throughout the series :)

Leanne Rivett (mummyrivett) | 14 comments Hello everyone, I just started reading The Eye of the World this week, 15th Jan 18. It is the first time I have ever read a fantasy saga, we were in Forbidden Planet on my Birthday and this series caught my eye.

Having read the first 13 chapters, I am gripped. So much has happened, I love the descriptions of the world which we are invited to walk with, the character development is slow enough for you to really get a true insight into each individual personality. I feel as if I know the characters personally and the writing has given me an empathy for each of them major and minor.

I agree with what has been said before about the village set in a similar vein as 'this poor provincial town', from Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Because of my love of animation, I am imagining the story as a technicolour animated feature, I have been drawn in and am finding I can't put down this book, I've even woken up at 3am and continued reading.

Personally I love the Celtic and Druidic mythology of the book and am captivated by the strength of the female characterisation, whether it is Moiraine Aes Sedia, Nynaeve the Emond's Field Wisdom or Egwene. I am gripped and am looking forward to journeying with this eclectic group over the course of this year.

I am pleased I found this group, I may be a few weeks behind, but I just want someone to talk to about it as, so far, I am really loving this story.

Shannon (That's So Poe) (thatssopoe) | 37 comments That's wonderful that you are joining us, Mummy Rivett! This is such a great, epic series to start with if you've never read fantasy fiction - it was one of my first as well. I definitely spent more than one night up late reading it the first time around because I just couldn't put it down.

I agree about the female characters. Some authors don't do such a great job with portraying both genders, but I like the way Robert Jordan does. There are strengths and weaknesses to characters of each gender. Even though Jordan focuses a bit more on the world building and the arc of the story than the does on character development, I really enjoy the various characters and their flaws and their attempts to grow/change. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they evolve over the course of the series (I've only ever read up to book 7 or so).

Leanne Rivett (mummyrivett) | 14 comments Hello Shannon,

I agree with you on Robert Jordan's writing style I love that he focusses on building the world, my husband is into Warhammer and have always wanted to get into the 'lore' and 'realms' of another world that could capture my imagination. Robert has certainly done this for me, it has started lots of discussion with my husband around appreciation for the Age of Sigmar.

I did start watching the Lord of the Rings but found it a bit too male dominant. I love the balance of the genders strong as well as flawed.

I think I've found my realm and so far, I am really enjoying it.

I'm so glad you found this group too Mummy! Turned out to be perfect timing since the readalong just started - it was meant to be :) If you like lore and world building, you're in for a treat because that is definitely Robert Jordan's forte. He's built and amazingly intricate world here and i love it so much. I'm a sucker for good world building :)

Kailee I'm also extremely late as I have just finished the first section!
I do love the first descriptions in the book of all that has happened so far. The Trollocs are such cool creatures and I really hope to see more of them throughout the book, even if they are villainous! So much is learned in these first chapters that I still don't have a good grasp on all that has been revealed. A character I would love to learn more about is Tam- there are so many mysteries already surrounding his character and I was definitely disappointed when the group left without him and I hope he pops up again later.

message 12: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. | 7 comments It's kinda bittersweet to read the beginning. I already know what's coming for those characters.
Rand, Mat, Perrin were so innocent back then. They were truly boys.

This was my third time I read this book. Some people ( I always think that they are the ones that can't manage to read through all books..) comment in reviews that the characters have no depth or character growth in this series. I don't agree with that at all. I think the characters and the world building is very complex. It takes my breath to think of who they were in beginning of the series and who they have become by the end of book 14.

When Rand brought Tam to Emonds Field after the attack. When Nynaeve could't help him...i knew already what was going to happen, but it still brought tears to my eyes. I think the story is still very captivating even through re-reading and to me that shows the quality of books, whether or not I manage to still love it years later during re-reading.

Also I love the little hints of what is to come... :)

Feel free to follow along at your own speed Kailee, these discussion boards will always be here :) You'll definitely see a lot of the trollocs throughout the series. Tam is definitely an interesting character and I wish I knew more about him too!

I totally agree K - the rereadability of this series is amazing. The characters change a LOT by the end (or close to the end in my case since I never quite got all the way through). The series is quite long and I think some people just don't have the patience to see it through, which is ok too. The complexity of the world and the plot really take my breath away and is just mind boggling to me sometimes. How did he do it?? haha :) Glad you are doing a reread!

message 14: by Mo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mo (weneed_mobrown) | 26 comments I'm obviously a bit behind but hopefully this will encourage other late-starters to participate in the discussions as well!

I also really enjoyed the world building that happened in the first few chapters. It definitely read slower but it was necessary to get involved in the story and to get a better understanding of the characters. I'm also glad that the boys are boys and not men or older teens trying too hard to be men. I'm also impressed with the story having dominant female characters! That's a really nice change for the fantasy genre. Sooooo when do Egwene and Rand get together? Do they become the male and female parts of the Power?? (The Power is kind of like a Ying & Yang idea right? Or dark side/light side of the force for Star Wars people) I'm a sucker for some romance haha

I kind of liked the cliffhanger that was left with Tam! I'm a bit worried something might happen to him before Rand can see him again though.

Leanne Rivett - Can you explain more of the Celtic and Druid mythology? I don't know much about it, so I probably missed that in the chapters.

Scott Flicker | 107 comments mo glad u enjoyed the start of the book. The power is divided in two more by the way it's used. Women surrender to it whereas men have to wrestle with it and dominate it. The series explains a lot more details.

message 16: by Mo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mo (weneed_mobrown) | 26 comments Thanks Scott! I didn't pick up on that but reading about the Power makes a lot more sense now

You're right Mo that it's kinda ying and yang - that's a theme throughout the series. Two parts of a whole. The men's side of the power is considered evil in this time period in the series (wasn't always that way) and the Dragon Fang marking you hear about is the black half of the ying/yang symbol.

Women do have dominant roles in this series - robert jordan was definitely ahead of his time when it comes to that. He isn't the greatest at romance though, just to forewarn you :)

message 18: by Mo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mo (weneed_mobrown) | 26 comments Jade wrote: "You're right Mo that it's kinda ying and yang - that's a theme throughout the series. Two parts of a whole. The men's side of the power is considered evil in this time period in the series..."

I'd be okay with the series if the end wasn't just a "two main characters are going to fall in love and that's the secret to controlling the Power" kind of ending. So I'm ok with not a ton of romance!

Mo wrote: "Jade wrote: "You're right Mo that it's kinda ying and yang - that's a theme throughout the series. Two parts of a whole. The men's side of the power is considered evil in this time period in the se..."

HAHAH - yeah, that's definitely not how this series ends LOL. You're in luck :P