YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)
This topic is about Forest of a Thousand Lanterns
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1) by Julie C. Dao - Restarting January 13th 2022

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alaina (ameserole) An East Asian fantasy reimagining of The Evil Queen legend about one peasant girl's quest to become Empress--and the darkness she must unleash to achieve her destiny.

Eighteen-year-old Xifeng is beautiful. The stars say she is destined for greatness, that she is meant to be Empress of Feng Lu. But only if she embraces the darkness within her. Growing up as a peasant in a forgotten village on the edge of the map, Xifeng longs to fulfill the destiny promised to her by her cruel aunt, the witch Guma, who has read the cards and seen glimmers of Xifeng's majestic future. But is the price of the throne too high?

Because in order to achieve greatness, she must spurn the young man who loves her and exploit the callous magic that runs through her veins--sorcery fueled by eating the hearts of the recently killed. For the god who has sent her on this journey will not be satisfied until his power is absolute.

message 2: by Amaryllis (new) - added it

Amaryllis (amellin) | 207 comments Will start tomorrow :)

message 3: by Amaryllis (new) - added it

Amaryllis (amellin) | 207 comments 8% in (view spoiler)

message 4: by Amaryllis (new) - added it

Amaryllis (amellin) | 207 comments 12% in (view spoiler)

message 5: by Amaryllis (new) - added it

Amaryllis (amellin) | 207 comments 20% in (view spoiler)

message 6: by Lane (last edited Jul 06, 2018 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Chapter 9 (view spoiler)
Chapter 23 (view spoiler)
Chapter 31 (view spoiler)
Finished (view spoiler)

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Marya wrote: "8% in [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments ***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Restarting November 5th 2018

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Nicole (artsofashes) | 715 comments Chapter 2

(view spoiler)

Nicole (artsofashes) | 715 comments Chapter 20

(view spoiler)

Nicole (artsofashes) | 715 comments Chapter 30

(view spoiler)

Nicole (artsofashes) | 715 comments Finished

(view spoiler)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22812 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting July 7th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Missie ☆ (pagesofmissie) | 133 comments Today is the day! I can't wait to get into this!! :)

message 15: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Neither can I!

message 16: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Just finished Ch 2. A very intriguing start. I wonder what (view spoiler)

Missie ☆ (pagesofmissie) | 133 comments Just started, and WOW! Guma sort of freaks me out

message 18: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Yh she's definitely hiding something

message 19: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Ch 8 (view spoiler)

Missie ☆ (pagesofmissie) | 133 comments Ch 23- Wow, once I started I couldn't stop! (view spoiler)
So far I am loving this read, and can't wait to read more!

message 21: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Oh my. I'mma have to do some sprints to catch up to you!

message 22: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Ch 22 - I really like the Empress in this bit. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Ch 31 - What do those nightmares/visions mean?! I'm so curious!!! (view spoiler)

message 24: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Missie I see what you mean about not being able to stop once you get to a certain point. I've finished it and following a villain's story is a very intriguing idea to me. I'm definitely interested in continuing this series but I can't find where I could fit it in this momrh at all. Which makes me sad.

Missie ☆ (pagesofmissie) | 133 comments Finished- Wow, why am I somewhat satisfied with that ending?!

Missie ☆ (pagesofmissie) | 133 comments Dee Dee wrote: "Missie I see what you mean about not being able to stop once you get to a certain point. I've finished it and following a villain's story is a very intriguing idea to me. I'm definitely interested ..."

I know right! I actually really enjoyed it, and you don't see many more books like that. And awww, well if you ever get to reading the second book I'd love to read it with you!

message 27: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments I'll definitely let you know ☺️

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments Chapter 6

Sorry everyone! My computer has been glitching out this week so I wasn't able to post but I wrote all of my chapter updates as I was going so I'll guess I'll just post them all at once haha

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments Missie✨ wrote: "Ch 23- Wow, once I started I couldn't stop! Lowkey love Xifeng, though I can see how her character may not be loved by others. She's a struggling person trying to figure out who she is, and she rel..."

I also started liking this story more when they reached court!

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments Chapter 32

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Missie ☆ (last edited Jul 11, 2020 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Missie ☆ (pagesofmissie) | 133 comments Melanie wrote: "Missie✨ wrote: "Ch 23- Wow, once I started I couldn't stop! Lowkey love Xifeng, though I can see how her character may not be loved by others. She's a struggling person trying to figure out who she..."

It's no problem at all! I'm so glad you are enjoying the book so far!! And I felt like we got to see a lot more of her character when she reached court.

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cozybooksandlattes) | 165 comments Finished

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Dee Dee (new) - added it

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments It really was a full circle moment.

message 34: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 5186 comments Mod

Date changed. Restarting January 13th 2022. Happy Reading ☺

message 35: by Lindsay (last edited Dec 30, 2021 11:38AM) (new) - added it

Lindsay | 1 comments I'm super excited for this one! Do we want to have a chapter schedule?

message 36: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay | 1 comments Schedules work well for me so here is the one I will be following :) I put lighter page expectations on the days I would be busier.

Jan 13: Chapters 1-10
Jan 14: Chapters 11-27
Jan 15: Chapters 28-33
Jan 16: Chapters 34-42

message 37: by akacya ♡̷̷ˎˊ (last edited Jan 22, 2022 03:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

akacya  ♡̷̷ˎˊ (akacya) | 625 comments Hey sorry just saw these comments! I just started a little bit ago, have you started?

akacya  ♡̷̷ˎˊ (akacya) | 625 comments Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

akacya  ♡̷̷ˎˊ (akacya) | 625 comments Chapter 16
(view spoiler)

akacya  ♡̷̷ˎˊ (akacya) | 625 comments Chapter 28
(view spoiler)

akacya  ♡̷̷ˎˊ (akacya) | 625 comments Done
(view spoiler)