Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2018 > Stevie's 50 in 2018

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments New year, new list!
Keeping the traditional straightforward title, despite not hitting 50 the last 2 years. I've got some great titles in my to-read stack, so I'm looking forward to this.
Happy New Year!

message 2: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 1. Surprised by Joy - C.S. Lewis

message 3: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1863 comments Mod
Stefanie wrote: "New year, new list!
Keeping the traditional straightforward title, despite not hitting 50 the last 2 years. I've got some great titles in my to-read stack, so I'm looking forward to this.
Happy New..."

Happy (belated) New Year, and a happy year of reading!

message 4: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments Tiffany wrote: "Happy (belated) New Year, and a happy year of reading!"

Thank you!

message 5: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 2. The American Lighthouse Cookbook: The Best Recipes and Stories from America's Shorelines - Becky Sue Epstein and Ed Jackson

I'd read through this when my mom bought it for me a few years ago, but it was fun to remind myself of some of the crazy stories attached to these lighthouses. I needed to go through the cookbook, anyway, as part of a recipe organization project I'm doing, so it was a good choice on multiple fronts.

message 6: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments Heyyyyyy 2 books in one day!

3. Divorced, Beheaded, Survived: A Feminist Reinterpretation of the Wives of Henry VIII - Karen Lindsey

This was fabulous. It was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law.

message 7: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 4. The Radium Girls - Kate Moore

My heart is broken after finishing this book this morning. I'd highly recommend it. It's well-written, and it's deeply moving.

message 8: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments I've been reading, but I haven't been on here to update anything, eep.

5. The Practice of the Presence of God - Brother Lawrence
6. No Man is an Island - Thomas Merton
7. Talking as Fast as I can - Lauren Graham

message 9: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 8. The Problem of Pain - C.S. Lewis

message 10: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 9. Jesus Feminist - Sarah Bessey

message 11: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 10. Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame - Charles Bukowski

---

Meta side-note: I'm trying to decide how to handle another reading project I've taken on. I'm doing some bible reading, but obviously, I'm not going to go cover to cover, at one go, and I'm not reading it "in order." Right now I'm reading through the psalms. How would y'all keep track of this? Would you count it as a separate book? I'm sure there are published books of just the psalms. I feel like it will get tricky - like this is worthy of being a stand-alone entry, but there are books of the Bible that are like, 2 pages long, and it would be ridiculous to count them. Maybe the answer is just not tracking it as part of this challenge, but the urge to rope it into the quantifiable record is so strong.

Thoughts?

message 12: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Stefanie wrote: "... Meta side-note: I'm trying to decide how to handle another reading project I've taken on. I'm doing some bible reading, but obviousl..."

So... are you wondering how to track it for the 50 Books a Year challenge, or for Goodreads in general?

1) If it's for this group, and if you already know which parts you're going to read, I'd say count the overall project as one book, and once you've finished the parts you know you're going to read, *then* count it as a book (as #90, or whatever you're up to at that point when you complete the last section you're planning on reading).

2) If it's for this group, and if you *don't* already know which parts you're going to read... then maybe count it as a book once you've read all the parts you *think* you're going to read. Maybe?

3) If it's for tracking on Goodreads overall... find the version you're reading if it's on Goodreads, or a bare-bones version if it's not, and count that when you feel like you've done most of the reading you're going to do? Especially if you're planning on reading the majority of it; not all of it, but enough to justify to yourself that you've read more than half, so that's maybe no different than skimming the boring parts of a book: you might not have read the *whole* book, since you skimmed boring parts, but you would still count the book as read. Or reading a book with a lot of endnotes or footnotes or appendices: even if you don't read all of the notes or appendices, you would still count the book as read. So not reading certain parts of the Bible for your project might come out to the same percentage of book read as if you skimmed boring parts of another book or skipped the endnotes/footnotes/appendices.

(And just so you know, I've been pondering this all day, trying to come up with good suggestions for you :) )

message 13: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments Tiffany wrote: "Stefanie wrote: "... Meta side-note: I'm trying to decide how to handle another reading project I've taken on. I'm doing some bible reading, but obviousl..."

So... are you wondering how to track i..."

Oh, Tiffany, you're amazing. Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughtful solutions. I think I'm going to go roughly with some combination of 2 and 3. I'll count whatever I've done by year's end as "book #whatever" at the end of my list... right now, my plan is just Psalms, but I'm sure I'll move on to something after that, so that covers whatever I've read, which will be at least regular book-length. I'll add the version I'm reading to my "currently reading" though, and move it to "read" eventually, when I've read all I figure I actually will read. I'm less concerned about, say, my widget counting things than I am with my thread on here. This group is my real standard. ;)

I'm so glad I asked the question. Thank you for helping me figure out what to do.

message 14: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Stefanie wrote: "... I'm so glad I asked the question. Thank you for helping me figure out what to do."

I'm glad I could help! :)

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments The "begots" is a good place to skim.

message 16: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments Susan wrote: "The "begots" is a good place to skim."

Hahaha, yes!

I have no intention of cover-to-cover reading. I'm sticking to parts that will have some sort of useful meaning to me. Everything has its time and place, and all those "begots" had meaning and importance once, but they are not particularly relevant now. Forgive my waxing contemplative about it, but the current study book I'm reading is focused on the Gospel of John, and so much of the book thus far is putting the book in context, so I'm increasingly aware of how much an understanding of each section of the Bible is really dependent on understanding the world in which it emerged.

message 17: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments Oh, and I just finished another book, which has nothing to do with any of the last few posts. :) I'm a multiple-books-at-a-time person with a vengeance.

11. The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter

message 18: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 12. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

message 19: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 13. 21st-Century Yokel - Tom Cox

message 20: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 14. Living Buddha, Living Christ - Thich Nhat Hanh

message 21: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 15. The Bassoon King - Rainn Wilson

GREAT read.

message 22: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 16. Dialogues With Silence - Thomas Merton

message 23: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 17. Sources of Strength - Jimmy Carter

message 24: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments My son's back in school, and I'm knocking off all the books I started this summer but couldn't finish. ;)
18. A Mathematician's Lament - Paul Lockhart

message 25: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 19. Self-Remembering: the Path to Non- Judgmental Love - Red Hawk

message 26: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 20. Very British Problems - Rob Temple

message 27: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 21. My Soul in Silence Waits - Margaret Guenther

message 28: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 22. Small Town Rumors - Carolyn Brown

message 29: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 23. Beyond a Binary God: a Theology four Trans* Allies - Tara K. Soughers

message 30: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 24. The Magicians - Lev Grossman
25. The Magician King - Lev Grossman

This is a trilogy, and I just finished the second/started the third last night. It's amazing. One of the reviews on the back says something to the effect of "if Narnia was catnip for a certain child, The Magicians is crack for a certain adult." TRUTH.

message 31: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Stefanie wrote: "This is a trilogy, and I just finished the second/started the third last night. It's amazing. One of the reviews on the back says something to the effect of "if Narnia was catnip for a certain child, The Magicians is crack for a certain adult." TRUTH"

Hehehe... sounds like a great endorsement :)

message 32: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 26. The Magician's Land - Lev Grossman

message 33: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 27. Mere Christianity- C.S. Lewis

message 34: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 28. You're Not Sick, You're Thirsty - F. Batmanghelidj, MD

message 35: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 29. The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy - Vicki Iovene

message 36: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 30. I Remember Union: The Story of Mary Magdalena - Flo Aeveia Magdalena

this was.... stranger and more new-agey than I expected.

message 37: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 31. How To Be An Adult In Relationships - David Richo

message 38: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 32. 365 Saints - Woodeene Koenig-Bricker
33. Celebrating Abundance- Walter Bruggemann

message 39: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments 34. Previously mentioned Bible chunks. I'll read more this year, but all of Mark, all of Psalms, and part of Isaiah is an awful lot of actual reading

message 40: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 462 comments Happy New Year.
Reflection moment: this year was insane, and I'm proud of myself for reaching 34. I got pregnant, my mom got very sick, ending with needing to put her in assisted living, and I'm her POA, etc. and we moved. So much life happening.

I looked back over previous years, and I've got about a 50% success rate. I'm cool with that. I'll make a thread for next year, knowing full well that we're welcoming a new baby in February. We'll see how it goes.

I love the camaraderie of this group, and knowing y'all are out there really adds to my reading motivation.

All the best for 2019. <3