Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Paperback or Digital Books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 11 comments I love both!

My Kindle provides me with a purse sized library, and makes reading series quicker and easier as I always have the next book with me. Plus, I can adjust the light and font size as needed.

Paperbacks are comforting and never need to be charged.

The majority of my purchases are digital, but if I started a series in paper I will complete it that way.

What I will not do is read on my phone. The screen is too small and the light is uncomfortable.

So I guess my overall preferences are:

Kindle
Paperback
Hardcover
Iphone
Audio (I tend to tune out or get sleepy after a while)

message 2: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments When I can decide, I opt for paperback/hardcover.
It's just a different experience, and I prefer it to the digital one.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1081 comments Mod
E-reader/ Tablet for travel as Nyssa mentioned- purse sized library. Plus they're great for graphic novels

Paper books- for the aesthetic pleasure. The smell of the pages, the weight etc. But I dislike breaking the bindings in paperbacks and if I'm lounging around the weight of a hardback can be difficult.

Audio is great while I'm doing busy work around the house. Dishes, yard work, etc..But don't get a fantasy book or something that deals with maps.

As long as I can read I'm happy

message 4: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 11 comments Your last sentence is a perfect response! :)

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela | 3 comments I used to hate reading books on my laptop, and sort of couldn't care about Kindle. But now, my room has really bad lightning, so I can't read a paper book (I don't have yet a reading light) without straining my eyes. I started combining them: reading a paper book during the day, when there is light coming from outside, and reading from my laptop at night, when I can play around with light settings and contrast and so on. Of course my eyes still hurt, but if I want to read, this is the best option. So now I'm in favour for both, because we still need our dose of literature no matter the format (and, as Pam put it, graphic novels are best read on an electronic device), and I even started listening to audio-books in class, or more like making my students listening to short audio-books because they like the voices of the actors (is that what they are called?).

message 6: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Angela wrote: "I used to hate reading books on my laptop, and sort of couldn't care about Kindle. But now, my room has really bad lightning, so I can't read a paper book (I don't have yet a reading light) without..."

Voice-actors.

The issue I have with audio books is that I am easily distracted and then can't concentrate on the audio. Makes me feel like I haven't read the whole book, but only parts.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 3 comments This is why I keep it as short as possible. I cannot listen and do something else at the same time because I will not pay attention to any of it (neither the book, nor the action). Or, if I listen to more than half an hour, I will get sleepy and lose focus. I agree with you, MeerderWörter, on the final part, because I also feel sometimes that I did not listen/read the whole book.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments I prefer hardcopy (paperback or hardback). I like to be able to feel the progress I'm making in my hands as the pages shift from the right side of the book to the left. I find I lose motivation to read when I try reading ebooks.

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan Woodcock | 1 comments I love being able to easily access a multitude of books at anytime without having to carry my entire library around with me. The accessibility of an e-reader can't be denied. On the other hand, there is just something comforting about being able to flip the pages and feel the paper of a hard copy. When you finish a good book, close it, and lay it down, the finality of it is more apparent. I love that little bit of heartbreak you feel when you finish reading that last page and close the book.

message 10: by acha (new)

acha (achazsa) | 7 comments I can't choose, I love them both. When I'm traveling, I prefer digital books because I don't want my paperback ruined, but when I read at home, I prefer paperback because who can resist the smell of book?
But lately I'm so into my kindle paperwhite, it really is a game changer, one battery charge can last months, millions book to read right at my fingertips, etc. But I still can't stop buying paperback because who can? :)

message 11: by Stef (new)

Stef (stefaniputria) | 2 comments I love both the paperback version and digital version. But I more comfort to read my e-reader than paperback when I go to travel or in bed. I still collecting paperback version just for my favorite book and book that I want to re-read sometime.

message 12: by Gabriela Badescu (new)

Gabriela Badescu | 3 comments Both. With a Kindle Paperwhite every pain is gone and in your room is more space. :)

message 13: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 11 comments I think I'm the only reader in the world who has no interest in the smell of books. Almost every paper copy reader I've spoken to lists the smell of books as one of their favorite things, and I just don't get it. I don't smell my library.

I enjoy the look of the covers, especially beautiful Hardcovers. I love to see my series all lined up together, in proper reading order. And I appreciate and enjoy the feel of a paperback in my hand. I understand the feeling of progress as the pages turn, and a definite end to that story as you close the back cover.

But I do not understand the emotion behind the smell of a book.

message 14: by Clara (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:27AM) (new)

Clara | 1 comments I prefer to read a paperback book... I find it more exciting to turn the pages and I can always pause my reading with a cute bookmark! Besides, the light from digital devices also hurts my eyes after a long period of reading.
On the other hand, I understand that digital books are easier to read and to "carry" during a trip and we don't need a lot of space to keep them in our rooms as well.
We also don't need to be worried, because digital books don't get old and their pages won't get yellow hahaha

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I like both, too. But I sometimes have the same problem with my eyes, when I read much on an electric device.
What I like about physical copies is that I can reread any part of the book anytime and I tend to find important parts, like special quotes, easier.

message 16: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 11 comments Emma wrote: "What I like about physical copies is that I can reread any part of the book anytime and I tend to find important parts, like special quotes, easier. "

The same can be done with digital. With the Kindle Paperwhite, for instance, you can bookmark any page, highlight any passage, and include notes... all accessible with a touch. :)

I enjoy the fact that I can add a quote directly from my Kindle to GR as well as share my highlights and notes (if I want to). I can also keep a record of those highlights here on the site without making them public.

message 17: by Agnes Szalkowska (new)

Agnes Szalkowska | 386 comments I choose paperback and hardcover. I like the smell of the book. ;) I probably must build bigger bookshelf but is worth it .

message 18: by Babsi (new)

Babsi | 1 comments Nyssa wrote: "Emma wrote: "What I like about physical copies is that I can reread any part of the book anytime and I tend to find important parts, like special quotes, easier. "

The same can be done with digita..."

I agree, with Emma here but for slightly different reasons. I still think that a physical copy is easier to handle when rereading. That being said I also appreciate the fact that one can share highlights etc on GR. How do you record them Nyssa without making them public?

I read mostly on my e-reader these days because its really convenient but I sometimes miss having the physical copies of my favorite books on my shelves which is why I sometimes buy them in the paperback version as well... Since I like displaying them I am also usually careful not to break the binding like Pam.

So I guess, its a tie between both for me too.

message 19: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 11 comments Babsi wrote: "How do you record them Nyssa without making them public?"

When you opt to "share" a highlight, you still have to go to the book on GR and make that highlight visible; if not, you will be the only one who can read it. You should also make sure that the Facebook box is unchecked if your accounts are linked.

The Chic Nurse Blog | JR | 7 comments Until a couple of years ago I swore I would never read electronic books. However, I did some research and it has its advantages... if you manage to get used to it. I don’t like reading in tablets like the iPad or smartphones... the screen is too bright and I get easily tired. However, I have a Kobo and absolutely love it. It is almost like reading in paper. Has advantages and disadvantages but I found out the battery lasts for long periods and it is not bright. Also the ebooks are much less expensive comparing with paperbooks.
I love reading don’t get me wrong. And the feeling of a paperbook is something unforgettable. But sometimes the weight and price have to be taken into account. I still buy paperback books but not as often as the digital ones and only the ones I really love. One of my goals in life when I have my own house is to have my own library full of books! Like belle (in Beauty and the beast) which is very different with an ereader!

The Book Worm
http://myworldasabookworm.blogspot.co.uk

message 21: by Gerd (last edited Jan 02, 2018 10:01AM) (new)

Gerd | 428 comments For reading I go both ways, but eBooks I find sometimes are easier to read when I'm in bed.
Also, no worries about accidentally dog-earing them.

However, reading a real book (as in a printed affair which is more than just its text, always more) is something special. Each book is a unique tactile experience, has its own personal smell, each turn of the page is part of a larger experience which an eBook can't give you.
A printed book will leave an impression on you which, by just picking it up, simply holding it in your hands glancing at the cover can bring forth a whole flood of memories.
Here's the short coming of digital books, when we come right down to it, they are only text.

Not that there's no magic in the text itself, it's just, not quite as technicolor, its not the whole reading experience.
I doubt if ever a digital book will manage to stand out in my memory as some print books do, inseparable entwined with my life.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I really prefer do read a real book than a dematerialized one cause I love the physical contact with it, I love smell it, hold it in my hands and fold the page when I have to stop my reading.

It's a lot of pleasures we don't have with a digital book... : )

message 23: by Mia (new)

Mia Sue (imayhaveafangirlproblem) | 2 comments Personally I prefer hardcover over electronic. I feel more accomplished after I finish a hardcover book, and I love being able to physically hold the book and flip the pages instead. It seems more real to me.

message 24: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Jan 02, 2018 10:38PM) (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Reading on my phone I will only do if it's an article or something like that, very rarely a story (I did yesterday and only because I was about to meet its author and wanted to give some feedback). Laptop is also kinda tiring if it's anything out of the newspaper / informative link range.

I will always prefer a book, sure, but I remember being so smug about Kindles and other ebooks and how the people that used those were not real readers. Some friend of mine still managed to convince me seeing as our graduation was looming and therefore we all were highly likely to leave home. Boy, will I ever be grateful I caved in. Yeah, paper books are awesome and all that jazz, but Kindle is pretty much the only way to keep reading consistently when you are a young graduate spending a maximum of two years or so in a place, and a rather small one for that matter.

message 25: by Britt (new)

Britt | 123 comments I do ultimately prefer hardcopies (paperback more so than hardcover, as the latter tend to be quite heavy), but ever since I got my Kindle I've not read that many physical books.

An e-reader is just so much easier to slip into a bag and it can contain thousands of books, so you never worry about having something to read.

Ashley wrote: "I prefer hardcopy (paperback or hardback). I like to be able to feel the progress I'm making in my hands as the pages shift from the right side of the book to the left. I find I lose motivation to read when I try reading ebooks."

On a Kindle, if you tap the screen in the lower part, it will show your reading progress as well as time left to read etc. I love this fonction as it's so precise! :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I definitely prefer paperbacks.....I need to feel the book in my hands and I like the smell of them.

Until now it wasn‘t necessary for me to buy an electronic reader.
Although it is lighter, especially when you‘re going on holiday and have to reduce the weight of your luggage.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

The smell of books, the sensation of a rough page I turn to continue my reading and the sound... a soothing sound. The peaceful atmosphere of a library or a bookshop, I do enjoy walking around the shelves and sometime I stop to take a look at random books, or sometime I just stop a couple of seconds and listen people taking a book from a shelf and turning pages. Also, there are interactions with librarians who can help to find what I am looking for or give advice.

I have not tried digital books but I know I would not really like it.
Why? No idea, maybe too impersonal, many not enough interactions, I do not know.

So definitely paperbacks! :)

message 28: by robylegge (new)

robylegge | 3 comments Happy New Year! I like this topic!
I love paperback, I don't like ebooks. I can't stand reading on screen, it's like I'm not even reading. I prefer paperback/hardcover for many reasons: first, I like touch the cover and the pages and just flip through the book. Secondly, I like the smell of new books. Thirdly, I like put them on the bookshelf and just admire them every time I want.
The e-reader is too impersonal.

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments At first I had resentment towards ebooks. But now I find them rather practical and useful. I also assume they are better for the environment given that they don't use trees to be written. However you will never find the "sensations" of a paperback with an ebook. It's worth the try, but maybe not all the time.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2018 02:40PM) (new)

Robin wrote: "At first I had resentment towards ebooks. But now I find them rather practical and useful. I also assume they are better for the environment given that they don't use trees to be written. However y..."

Hello!

I understand that the digital books seem to be better for the environment but I actually disagree. I am going to explain my thoughts to you.

1) Production of the books/digital books(kindle)

Books: First, when we think about books we think about trees which are the main source of raw materials for book production. Actually, books are mainly made from paper so from Cellulose which is a widely spread and an available biopolymer. Basically you can access it from plants.

Kindle: This awsome high-tech product is manufactured by using inorganic chemicals such as copper. This metal is of course less expensive than other materials just like platinium but it still has a cost that is why people sometime steal train cables to resell the copper. Second, if you focus on the shell of your object it is composed of polymers maybe polypropylène or polyurethane (I do not really know I should be able to figure that out but I am in holidays :p). Those polymers are not biopolymer and their production is, I do believe, way more polluting than cellulose (Cellulose made by Mother Nature, Synthetic polymers produced by humans). You also have to keep in mind that all of the stuff you have in those "plastics" are usually complex matrices with several compounds such as molecules that give some properties to your device.
I would like to bring your attention on the nature of the chemicals which are used to produce kindles. They are either petroleum-based or metal-based. In other words, in any case they come from finite sources and we are (rigth now) so bad at dealing with the end of life and recycling of those materials. Not to mention that finite sources are not renewable :)

2) Consumption

Book: Well when you read a book, it basically does not consume anything but your own energy.

Kindle: Compare to a paperback the kindle needs electricity and therefore it needs to be charged depending on the frequence you use it.

3) Reuse and recycling

Book: when you have read your book you can resell it, give it, keep it or throw it away/burn it (please do not do that! ;)). The durability of a book has been demonstrated for a while and we can read or find books that were produced decades or centuries ago.

Kindle: well, the more you use it, the more it degrades. The tricky thing is when you are using your device, the movement of electrons (electricity) warms up the different materials in your device. The heat slowly degrades the compounds and the performance of your device deacreases.
I do not know how long a kindle lasts but I would guess no more than 5 years.
When your device does not work anymore you need to dispose of it (correctly of course!) and some people will take care of it. Recycling plastics is so painful and extremely difficult and they usually end up into landfills or worst in the environment (example: the plastic continent in Pacific Ocean). This is just about the plastics because your entire device is composed of so many compounds that make it even more complicated to deal with.

So, I definitely think that paperbacks are better for the environment because they are mainly made from biorenewable sources even if some of the compounds used it their production are not. Also they are more sustainable and I think we have more issues with plastics rather than books :)

Sorry it was a bit long, I hope it was clear. Let me know if you have any questions :)

PS: same for Christmas trees, buy true trees not plastic trees ;)

message 31: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 12 comments Other than whichever is cheapest (because we don't have a free public library in my county, it's reserved only for those living in the actual town or who can afford outrageous yearly fees - it's the single most confusing thing I've run into while moving), I prefer ebooks.

I've run out of room to store print books, plus I find it hard and uncomfortable to keep print books open if their binding is in any way stiff. Plus, ebooks are easier to search if I want to find mentions of specific words that aren't included in the Index.

message 32: by robylegge (new)

robylegge | 3 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "Other than whichever is cheapest (because we don't have a free public library in my county, it's reserved only for those living in the actual town or who can afford outrageous yearly fees - it's th..."

I'm not used at the idea of a not free public library! In my country we can join and borrow books for free and thanks to this service I can read more paperback books instead of ebooks.

message 33: by anique (new)

anique I've switched to mainly digital since I travel a lot, and it's more convenient to just carry an e-reader (I use the KOBO Aura, highly recommend!) than to stuff 10 books in a backpack or suitcase. Most e-readers have a special screen, that is not at all like computer or phone screens (which use 'blue light', which causes your eyes to hurt) but use different screen technology.

Plus, I've decided to cut down my spending on books, which used to be a LOT, and live a more minimalistic lifestyle, and I find it more sustainable to read digitally than to add even more books to my shelf of already over 250 books. :)

The Chic Nurse Blog | JR | 7 comments Anique wrote: "I've switched to mainly digital since I travel a lot, and it's more convenient to just carry an e-reader (I use the KOBO Aura, highly recommend!) than to stuff 10 books in a backpack or suitcase. M..."

Totally agree! Although having a library is so nice!

The Book Worm

https://myworldasabookworm.blogspot.c...

message 35: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 11 comments Robin wrote: "I'm not used at the idea of a not free public library! In my country we can join and borrow books for free and thanks to this service I can read more paperback books instead of ebooks. "

Some counties work with other counties to allow better access to the library system but not where I live.

My county's system is sorely lacking, even when searching Overdrive. The next county over charges non-residents a fee to use their system even though we practically sit on top of each other.

Anique wrote: "Most e-readers have a special screen, that is not at all like computer or phone screens (which use 'blue light,' which causes your eyes to hurt) but use different screen technology."

I wanted to mention this about the screens too. Many people, who haven't tried them, assume e-reading screens are like phone, tablet, or computer screens but they're not. They are designed to be more comfortable on the eyes and adjustable. The Nook wasn't an e-reader it was a tablet. The Kindle and (from what I've read) the Kobo are e-readers - The Amazon Fire is a tablet. Different purposes, different technologies. Kindle is the only e-reader I've used. I've owned two versions (The Kindle Keyboard, and the Kindle Paperwhite) and loved them both. I tried the Amazon Fire and ended up giving it to my MIL to replace her Nook when that died because I do not like reading on those types of screens. But I can read on my Paperwhite all day long with no eye strain or discomfort.

message 36: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 12 comments Robin wrote: "I'm not used at the idea of a not free public library! In my country we can join and borrow books for free and thanks to this service I can read more paperback books instead of ebooks."

I live in the Midwest in the US! The way it was explained to me, in my state it's left up to each county and the taxpayers to decide if they want to fund a library - apparently, the majority of the county's voters don't want to, so no library for me. The voters within the town voted that they wanted to fund a library, so they get access.

It doesn't seem like a good system to me, and it hasn't been like this anywhere else I've lived (the 'voting to not have a library' part, not how it's funded). I'm not saying my previous county had the best library ever, but at least it existed and had free access, which is a step above what I have now.

message 37: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Trofimencoff | 48 comments Paperback. I love the smell and feel of books. I guess I am a traditionalist.

message 38: by Patty (new)

Patty Wood If I am purchasing a book new it is always Kindle because I donate all my physical books to the library after reading. But I tend to do most of my reading through the library since it is the most eco-friendly and in that case I always opt for a physical book, if not available I will go to audio next and then e-book. Not sure why actually. I love my Kindle in theory.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 82 comments Used paperbacks. I especially enjoy if the previous reader has made any notes/observations as I find it interesting to read what someone else's take on a passage. I have tried kindle, but it can give me a headache after too long. audiobooks are something I would like to give a chance.

message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 82 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "I'm not used at the idea of a not free public library! In my country we can join and borrow books for free and thanks to this service I can read more paperback books instead of ebooks..."

I hadn't heard this before! I have lived in three different states and at least 5 different cities and have libraries available in all of them.

Recently, my city's libraries did away with late fees. I believe it was because families couldn't afford to pay the fines, so they stopped going. The city wanted to make libraries accessible to everyone, so getting rid of the late fees was a way to encourage it.

message 41: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 12 comments Ashley wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "I'm not used at the idea of a not free public library! In my country we can join and borrow books for free and thanks to this service I can read more paperback books i..."

I'd never heard of it before moving here! But the place I'm living now is both extremely rural and one of the poorest counties in the state. The schools aren't really funded well either, so it doesn't surprise me that any outside educational type of system wouldn't be funded well either.

I'm glad your city's libraries did away with fines. That's an awesome move for a ton of people. I hope it spreads to more places.

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments I enjoy using both. It really depends on the setting. When I am reading at home or in the car on a short trip, I prefer physical books. If I am traveling long distances where I am will get through a few books on the trip I will pack my e-reader instead for space, weight and convenience.

message 43: by robylegge (new)

robylegge | 3 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "I'm not used at the idea of a not free public library! In my country we can join and borrow books for free and thanks to this service I can read more pa..."

I love the library of my town. There's a lot of books and you can borrow books for 30 days not only from the library of my town but also from the libraries of the other towns that belong to the same "librarian system". So more books are available for you =) And it's all free.
P.S. I'm sorry if I make mistakes with grammar or vocabulary, I'm not English.

message 44: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 12 comments Roberta wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "Robin wrote: "I'm not used at the idea of a not free public library! In my country we can join and borrow books for free and thanks to this service I ..."

Your town's library sounds awesome! I'm glad you have even more books available to you than just what is in your own library.

And your grammar and vocabulary are totally fine, no need to apologize for any mistakes! You're completely understandable. :D

message 45: by Paula (new)

Paula | 3 comments Personally, I prefer paperback, I need to feel the book in my hands and if I have book from the library I love the smell too :) Considering that most of the time I sit in front of computer, and phone it is nice for a change to read something not from the screen, although while you on the crowded train I guess carrying heavy book is not very comfortable option and digital can be of help!

message 46: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 96 comments I like to feel the touch of the book, look at its cover and comments about the book or the author. I like to smell them, when they are new they smell in a way and if they are from the library they smell like humanity :)

message 47: by Bec (last edited Jan 10, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Bec I am lucky as I work for a university and have access to an amazing library right at my workplace. I am definitely a paperback person. A lot of my work is computer based and I like the feel of a book in my hands. I also love being able to turn the pages. Sounds a bit strange but if you have a good book and you are really getting into it each paged turned give me a little kick. Anyone else feel this way?

Digital E-readers are great for holidays. This is about the only time that I use them. I am glad my boyfriend bought me one. It all stemmed from a trip we did to Indonesia where we spent 6 months travelling and working. If anyone is travelling through Bali and needs a good book to read I recommend going to Ganesha Books. They have one shop in Sanur and one shop in Ubud with a range of Indonesian book (ones in English as well) with most been written by Indonesian authors. You can also order online from the store. Because we were travelling in and out of Sanur I made many visits to this shop and by the time we needed to come back to Australia I have a rucksack that was half full with books and weight 7kg more than it was meant to. So, I ended up offloading books into my boyfriend luggage which he was not happy about.

So moral to the story E-readers and digital books great for travel but nothing beats a paperback.

P.S. Ganesha Books also supports the Books for Bali Project. They support schools and other local organisations to literacy, learning and a love of reading throughout the Balinese Community. I was able to donate while in Bali but I have also just found out that this can be done through their website. Its a very cool project if you are looking for something to get involved with!

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Lourenço (ssandraa) | 1 comments Both are great - for me, what matters is reading!
The majority of my reading is done during my commute to and from work so I use an e-reader. It's way lighter, and that way I don't damage my books. I bring my Kindle everywhere with me, except for the beach because I'm afraid of getting sand on it xD
At home and when I go to the beach, I always read on physical books, mainly paperbacks because they're cheaper than hardbacks.

message 49: by Winston (new)

Winston | 180 comments I like that everyone is just about reading, regardless of medium!

I have a strong preference to Hardcover/Paperback, and will buy and read nearly every book in physical form.

I will not lie, it hurts my wallet, it hurts my storage space in my tiny NYC apartment, but if I'm going to be poor and crowded, I might as well has a library worth envy.

I can't help it, I love the smell, feel, weight of books.

But I'm planning some long term travel soon, and I fear I will have to make some sort of switch

message 50: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 96 comments Winston wrote: "I like that everyone is just about reading, regardless of medium!

I have a strong preference to Hardcover/Paperback, and will buy and read nearly every book in physical form.

I will not lie, it h..."

The physical books have that charm!

« previous 1