Litwit Lounge discussion

Archives > Top reads of 2017?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2113 comments Here's our annual thread where we invite you to look back on the year just past, and single out a few of your top reads for special mention. (I can't believe I forgot to create a thread for last year; my apologies to the group!) Personally, I try to pick my top five. (That's usually a challenge!) This year, I'm picking from a pool of 14 books that got five stars from me. But I'd say my top five favorites would have to be:

1. The Guns of the South, by Harry Turtledove
2. Lord of the World, by Robert Hugh Benson
3. A Thin Dark Line, by Tami Hoag
4. What Darkness Remains and 5. Tales from the Brackenwood Ghost Club, both by Andrew M. Seddon.

The book by Hoag was a total surprise, a birthday gift from a grandson, and by an author I'd never considered reading before!

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 747 comments That's always a tough question. Here's my shortlist, in no particular order.
1. Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
2. The Red Wind A surprisingly good children's fantasy
3. Bubbles: Big Stink in Frog Pond Ok, yes, I never grew up. But I can't help adding this to the list.
4. The History of London Amazing non fiction
5. You're Loved No Matter What: Freeing Your Heart from the Need to Be Perfect

I didn't read as much high rating fiction as I would have liked. Hopefully I will rectify this in 2018.

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 168 comments I loved the book, "Peaches for Monsieur le Cure'"

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina | 168 comments I hope so.

message 5: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 165 comments Here is my list:

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - just beautiful
2. 11/22/63 - pleasantly surprised
3. By Gaslight
4. The Passage
5. The Way We Live Now - so relevant to today

Also loved Atwood's series Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood - can't wait read the 3rd one.