Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for February 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in February 2018?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (last edited Jan 01, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments We read Three Sisters, Three Queens in October 2016, so you've got another nomination left, Tudor Queen.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (tudorqueen) | 35 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "We read Three Sisters, Three Queens in October 2016, so you've got another nomination left, Tudor Queen."

Thanks, Susanna...I edited my post.

message 5: by Dorrie (new)

Dorrie | 4 comments Brief Gaudy Hour by, Margaret Campbell Barnes

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments We read King's Curse in November 2014.

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 98 comments I will nominate Anne of Cleves Henry's Luckiest Wife by D. Lawrence-Young and The Temptation of Elizabeth Tudor Elizabeth I, Thomas Seymour, and the Making of a Virgin Queen by Elizabeth Norton .

message 8: by Max (new)

Max Austin | 1 comments This is a children's book, but "The Player King" is interesting.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments Do you mean this, Max? The Player King

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Elizabeth The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments We read The Six Wives of Henry VIII in August 2016.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (annacoates) King's Curse is a good choice, IMHO

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments We have already read King's Curse.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) Hi everyone and happy New Year.

I would like to nominate The Last White Rose by Desmond Seward. It is about the struggle of the Tudor dynasty to secure its crown and offers an interesting perspective on why Henry VIII became a tyrant.

My second nomination is Perkin by Anne Wroe. This explores one of the early threats to the Tudor dynasty - the claim of Perkin Warbeck to be Richard Duke of York, the younger of the Princes in the Tower. Having recently watched The White Princess (not very good historically but entertaining fiction) I want to read about what really happened.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Elizabeth Ah ok I’m new to the group so I didn’t realize. Thank you!

message 16: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 36 comments Have we read either one of these 1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII or A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England?

If not, I'd like to nominate them. :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments We have read neither, Alyson, and they both look like cool books, don't they?

message 18: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 36 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "We have read neither, Alyson, and they both look like cool books, don't they?"

A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England is amazing. I just got 1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII for Christmas and haven't had a chance to read it. Dr. Lipscomb has not let me down yet, so I think it will be good.

message 19: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne I am going to try again. The Tudor Brandon's by Sarah-beth Watkins.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (tudorqueen) | 35 comments Oh, I didn't know you already read "King's Curse.". Then I will second the nomination for the Anne of Cleves book someone else nominated on here. This will be my third time nominating it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments Seconding isn't necessary; if you want to nominate something else, you can, Tudor Queen.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (tudorqueen) | 35 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Seconding isn't necessary; if you want to nominate something else, you can, Tudor Queen."

Susanna, Yes, I would like to nominate this:

Anne of Cleves: Henry's Luckiest Wife

Anne of Cleves Henry's Luckiest Wife by D. Lawrence-Young

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments Well, it was already nominated.

message 24: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments I would like to nominate....Anne Boleyn by Ives

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments If anyone wants to make a nomination, now is a good time; I'll probably be closing nominations and opening the poll later today.

message 26: by Tara (new)

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine Cazeneuve | 23 comments I would also like to nominate Perkin by Anne Wroe. Personally, I would like to read something outside of all the Queens - only because I've pretty much read them all :) Thank you.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments Charles I is a Stuart monarch, so I'm not going to allow that, sorry Tara. (There's a Stuart group, by the way.)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments I will nominate The Hidden Lives of Tudor Women: A Social History by Elizabeth Norton and Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life in Elizabethan London by Liza Picard.

And with that I will close nominations. Poll opening shortly.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments And the poll is open!

You'll find it on the bottom of the Home page of the group, at the top of the "Polls" section, or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments If the poll closed now, the winner would be, by a narrow margin, The Hidden Lives of Tudor Women: A Social History over The Other Boleyn Girl.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments The winner, and next month's group read: The Hidden Lives of Tudor Women: A Social History, by Elizabeth Norton.

We'll be discussing it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .

message 33: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Susanna - I was just wondering if Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir has either been read or nominated yet. Is it too late to nominate it for our February read ?

message 34: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Feb 08, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments We read Innocent Traitor in 2014 (October, I think).

At any rate, nominations were closed a month ago, and the winner chosen in a poll last month.

message 35: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Feb 08, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments In fact, nominations are now closed for March's group read, as well - the poll for that one is open right now.