EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS > Never Let Me Go - pre-read

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 1437 comments Mod
Hello all - starting up discussions for the JANUARY 2018 BOTMs. This discussion is for the group's poll selection for the MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS category: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

This discussion will be SPOILER-FREE. If you have already finished the book and want to discuss, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!
Kasey

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I am interested to read this discussion. It makes you consider an ethical question from a side you may never have seen. It does this while being very entertaining.

message 3: by Gaye-lynn (new)

Gaye-lynn Allen I started reading this today and I like it. I love stories about dystopian societies, so this is my kind of book. And there is so much I want to know about what caused them to be where and what they are -- and the author gives you the information very slowly! Makes the book very hard to put down!

message 4: by Gaye-lynn (new)

Gaye-lynn Allen Renee wrote: "I am interested to read this discussion. It makes you consider an ethical question from a side you may never have seen. It does this while being very entertaining."

I was very surprised when I realized what the "ethical question" was. Looking at it from both perspectives makes it difficult to say what is right and what is wrong.

message 5: by Audrė (new)

Audrė (audre-reads) Gaye-lynn wrote: "I started reading this today and I like it. I love stories about dystopian societies, so this is my kind of book. And there is so much I want to know about what caused them to be where and what the..."

I also started reading it today and so far liking it a lot. Same as you have a hard time to put it down and do other things.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 545 comments For me, once I figured it out, it gave me the shudders. I still think about it with horror.

message 7: by Tawnee (new)

Tawnee (won_tawn78) | 24 comments I just started this book last night and so far I really enjoy the writing style. I'm looking forward to finishing the book.

message 8: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 700 comments I started at work today, and not knowing Anything about it at All, I am really looking forward to seeing where it goes :)

message 9: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissyreadings) I am in the middle of a series binge and i have about 3 books left, so I will likely be starting this is a week or 2 but I am a fast reader and I am tres excited to read it

message 10: by Elena (new)

Elena I just ordered this book and I can't wait to start reading it! Just finished The Circle by Dave Eggers, so I'm in the mood for more dystopian reads

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) How was the Circle? It is one on my TBR list.

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I will be listening to this on audiobook (my first ever attempt at an audiobook!) and I am very excited. I know nothing about this book at all and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

message 13: by Elena (new)

Elena @Renee: The Circle definitely was an interesting read... I still don't know if I liked it or not, but it did made me think about my behaviour on social media platforms. Still, it didn't really bring anything new to the discussion, because everyone was already talking about all these privacy issues before. And Eggers style of writing was a little annoying to me.

message 14: by Elvira (new)

Elvira Dobis | 9 comments I'm interested to read this. I saw the movie a few years ago, and it disturbed me. But I haven't stopped thinking about it since then.

message 15: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc I know very little about this book but these comments have piques my interest considerably. I currently am on the wait list for the ebook from my library which should be available in about 2 weeks so I will be able to read it and contribute before then.

message 16: by Martina (new)

Martina Bučková | 147 comments Next book, yeeeeah looking forward :) something to read during the days I have to spent at my parents-in-law haha

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Leena wrote: "@Renee: The Circle definitely was an interesting read... I still don't know if I liked it or not, but it did made me think about my behaviour on social media platforms. Still, it didn't really brin..."

Thank you Leena I think I will give it a pass. It sounds like it doesn't quite go where I want it to go,

message 18: by Mo (new)

Mo (weneed_mobrown) | 30 comments Leena wrote: "@Renee: The Circle definitely was an interesting read... I still don't know if I liked it or not, but it did made me think about my behaviour on social media platforms. Still, it didn't really brin..."

There was a movie about this?? I'm almost done with the book now but I think the movie could be really interesting, although very similar to The Island movie.

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I did not realize there was a movie! I will have to watch it once I finish, I'm only about an hour into the audiobook so far

message 20: by Miriam (new)

Miriam How is the audiobook? I’m on the waitlist for it at my library! Very excited to read this, really hoping it’s better than the movie!

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Miriam wrote: "How is the audiobook? I’m on the waitlist for it at my library! Very excited to read this, really hoping it’s better than the movie!"

So far I'm liking it, I've never done an audiobook before and I find it slower than actually reading. The woman voicing it is quite good.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Marysha wrote: "Leena wrote: "@Renee: The Circle definitely was an interesting read... I still don't know if I liked it or not, but it did made me think about my behaviour on social media platforms. Still, it didn..."

Yes the movie had Tom Hanks and Emma Watson. It was in and out of the theaters very fast. I think that tells a lot about it. With those two stars it should have been around longer

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 342 comments I think I'll read AFTER reading The Orient Express, because its theme might leave me shell shocked.

I remember seeing scraps of the movie before, and I already know I'm going to hate it for its ethical ambiguity... hate in a good way, in a meditative way.

message 24: by Cat (new)

Cat (xcdo) | 3 comments Is there any sort of reading schedule for this group/a certain number of pages to read before discussion, or just finishing the book and then discussing? Just downloaded the book last night and I'm excited to join in!

message 25: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1863 comments Mod
No schedule, Cat. You discuss here what won't reveal anything about the plot - like difficulties to find books in libraries, interesting links, general information, the author, etc.

If you want to discuss anything about the text, style, development, the plot, characteres, ask for opinions, etc., do that on the other thread - "SPOILERS."

Of course, if you go there before finishing... you are subject to be exposed to... spoilers. :-)

message 26: by Kaseadillla (new)

Cat wrote: "Is there any sort of reading schedule for this group/a certain number of pages to read before discussion, or just finishing the book and then discussing? Just downloaded the book last night and I'm..."
Marcos wrote: "No schedule, Cat. You discuss here what won't reveal anything about the plot - like difficulties to find books in libraries, interesting links, general information, the author, etc. If you want t..."

Thanks, Marcos!

To also answer your question, Cat, sometimes people discuss the book while they are part way through on this thread. We just ask that you use the spoilers tags like so: (view spoiler)

If you do not know how, click on "(some html is okay)" hyperlink on the top right of the comment box, thanks!

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) How did you make that spoiler thingy?

message 28: by Kaseadillla (new)

Renee wrote: "How did you make that spoiler thingy?"

If you are using the Goodreads website or a desktop computer (not the app) click on the hyperlink "(some html is okay)" - there are directions in there.

If you can't see them, use the below without the * symbol.
<*spoiler>this is my sample spoiler teeheehee.<*/spoiler>
it will look like this:
(view spoiler)

hope that helps!

message 29: by Renee (last edited Jan 09, 2018 07:29AM) (new)

Renee (elenarenee) That really does help. I am going to try a practice one
did I do it>

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Renee wrote: "That really does help. I am going to try a practice one
did I do it>"<

I guess I need more help. lol

message 31: by Kaseadillla (new)

Started reading this and realized... I've TOTALLY seen this movie.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 105 comments I just started today, and I'm liking it already. My husband said we watched the movie, but I can't remember anything about it. I'm looking forward to finding out what is what.

message 33: by Tawnee (new)

Tawnee (won_tawn78) | 24 comments That's funny! I thought the movie was coming out in the future and I thought, "wow! Kiera Knightley looks really young!" Was the movie any good? If I can buy/rent it for a reasonable price, I want to watch it once I'm done with the book.

message 34: by Kaseadillla (new)

Tawnee wrote: "That's funny! ..."

I don't really remember how I felt about it other than thinking it was an interesting storyline.... I think I saw it the year it came out so 7 years ago. I do remember a few scenes very clearly for being jarring (not in a violent way, but in a dramatic/plot-twisty/heartbreaking way).
I'll definitely be rewatching after reading.

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hansen | 10 comments Gaye-lynn wrote: "I started reading this today and I like it. I love stories about dystopian societies, so this is my kind of book. And there is so much I want to know about what caused them to be where and what the..."
I'm only a few pages in and I'm wondering ...I have speculations, but I love the way the author uses words like "donors" and "carer" as if we know what those words mean. I am enjoying what I've read so far.

message 36: by Marcie (last edited Jan 13, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Marcie | 9 comments Other than reading the EHRTBM Never Let Me Go pre-reading comments, I am not familiar with the book or its movie. (I always wonder how award-nominated and award winning books, especially the ones with movie adaptations, escape me.) I started the book this morning, and my interest is piqued.

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hansen | 10 comments I'm reminded of a Neil Shusterman book. The title eludes me at the moment, but ...yeah. Only 60 pages in.

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 99 comments I loveee not knowing anything about a book or if there was a movie before reading. I'm on the 4th chapter and I still don't understand what's going on, but I love how the author is taking their time and really developing characters and setting. Very interesting so far!

message 39: by daniela (last edited Jan 18, 2018 01:23PM) (new)

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 342 comments I saw snips of the movie loooong ago, so I knew where the story went and there's no surprise.

Well I lie, I"m around 75% done with the book and 100% done with Ruth. I hate Ruth. Anyone else just want to slap Kathy and tell her to get new friends? That was my biggest surprise, seeing my stupid childhood frienemies issue rearing its head.

message 40: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc I just started today and am really enjoying it. So curious what these "donations" are all about! I love that while it's obvious there's something off about the world they live in, there are so many relatable things about childhood interactions.

I had no idea it had already been made into a movie but I will definitely check it out once I finish.

message 41: by Ekiamx (new)

Ekiamx Okay I‘m probably a little late but i started reading two days ago and I‘m really loving it so far!
The way the author tells you about all those memories in Kathy head and the way they sort of piece together into a bigger picture is great!
I‘m really excited about what we‘ll find out next and i hope the storytelling stays that way!

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Never Let Me Go (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kazuo Ishiguro (other topics)