2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Burning Room (Harry Bosch, #17; Harry Bosch Universe, #26)
This topic is about The Burning Room
The Burning Room > Question G

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Bosch makes reference to a real life shootout in Los Angeles that occurred years ago and was aired nationally where two heavily armed men waged assault on the LAPD. Do you remember that assault?

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I don't remember it. I actually thought about looking it up to see if it was real, but I totally forgot about it by the end of the book.

Do you remember it?

OMG yes!! It was awful. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Here’s a link to the Wikipedia article on the whole thing. It was just surreal. That part about the wife wanting to sue the city was true. She actually had a case as I watched her husband lay injured on the ground and unattended. I wasn’t sympathetic but it was clear to everyone watching.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North...

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments Wow, that's crazy. I'm surprised I don't remember it.

I was riveted to the TV. Since it was happening on the West Coast, I was able to watch the action taking place after work. It was really scary. Those guys were wearing bulletproof outerwear and were armed with automatic weapons that the LAPD didn’t have. You should have seen the havoc wreaked by just two men!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I also looked it up on the Wikipedia and it was fascinating reading.

In 1997, I was preparing to start university (SATs, figuring out where I wanted to go, entrance exams, registration...) so other than Princess Diana's death (which happened when I was overseas just prior to the start of the academic year), I remember very little about that time.

I can’t express enough how chilling the visual was. We were watching it in real time and the cops were just outmatched. It was surreal.

Here’s the YouTube link to the local coverage. There’s lots more if you search 1997 LA bank shootout.

https://youtu.be/LrlUsaYlKPs